49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry

Premium Member

[Rant] Opinions on rating this eBay seller please

Just curious how y'all would rate this eBay seller:

Found a NIB floor steam cleaner on eBay, and this particular model was discontinued a year ago. I wanted it to replace my old one. Seller was a power seller and had 98.8% rating. Best part was that the original retail was $150 and got it as the sole bidder for under $50/free shipping.

Well ... seller FINALLY answered my message about shipping after FOUR days and admitted they forgot to ship it. So now it's shipped -- yippee. UPS tracking number is legit.

My inclination is to give them a "4" and write up the shipping snafu. Low priority in the scheme of things but just curious what y'all think.
H_T_R_N (banned)
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned)

Why is it that people think ebay is some sort of superstore? It is a group of normal people that have normal lives selling shit to make a buck. If you have been able to carry out everything you do and never have a bump or hiccup, congrats you are one lucky SOB.

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

Tex to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
Was there an estimated delivery date or time period? Isn't eBay's policy that items ship within 30 days after sale?

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
Neutral.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
If it didnt say ships within 24 hrs or something like that i wouldnt hold it against them.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
I would give it 5 starts. I agree with H_T_R_N See Profile, they are mostly mom & pop stores. Not all are real stores, but somebody selling out of their garage.
mocycler
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22

mocycler to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
Stuff happens. Four days is slow but not totally over the top.

This isn't that big of a deal. Give him a 5 and be done with it.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry

Premium Member

Thanks for the input, everyone. Okay, I'll give them a "5" BUT note the shipping snafu.

Thing is: they flat out forgot to ship it. Had I not contacted them, it would have been forgotten. They don't seem to be "mom/pop" sellers as they have a large ebay storefront for their physical store.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

2 recommendations

Gbcue

Premium Member

said by FureverFurry:

Thing is: they flat out forgot to ship it. Had I not contacted them, it would have been forgotten.

That's the reason I would give them the neutral.

what the
join:2014-06-28
usa

1 edit

what the to FureverFurry

to FureverFurry
Never buy anything electrical/electronics from Ebay cause if it doesn't work you'll have to pay out of your pocket to ship it back and now you're out money!!!
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
If I recall correctly, technically ebay won't allow you to rate shipping is it's free. So you would need to give them an over-all rating. I'd not loose sleep over giving them 4 starts. It's not going to hurt them to any real degree and I think it's important to keep ratings honest. I'd say 2-3 days is plenty of time to ship the item.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
The last time that happened to me I just didn't leave any feedback. Accidents happen and I didn't want to ding them for it, but I couldn't claim everything was perfect either, so I left nothing.

/M
mackey

mackey to what the

Premium Member

to what the
said by what the:

Never buy anything electrical/electronics from Ebay cause if it doesn't work you'll have to pay out of your pocket to ship it back and now you're out money!!!

You're joking, right? I should pay 3-4x more for something because I'd be out $5 on the off chance it doesn't work? Please. If you read the listing carefully and inspect all pics the odds of buying something broken are slim. I buy a LOT of stuff on ebay (mainly for work) and have saved thousands by doing so.

/M

what the
usa

what the

You're right! Ebay sellers never lie.
PS: you can buy the same item online if you look around enough and sometimes even cheaper then Ebay, like on Amazon, Newegg and so on.
Ole Juul
join:2013-04-27
Princeton, BC

1 edit

Ole Juul

I use Ebay a lot, mostly for cheap Chinese stuff. For current electronics like RAM, disk drives, mother boards, etc., Ebay is usually too expensive compared to marked value. I'm with what the on going to Newegg or similar and getting a better deal. Non-mainstream antiques can be cheap on Ebay as well, but if it's anything that's thought to be "rare" then a high end antique store will usually be a quarter the price.

That said, mackey is right. If you look carefully, and the price is right, you don't need to get ripped off. Looking for a deal on last year's router or such, I'd check Ebay. Most vendors are just fine, although some can be fairly ignorant of what they're selling.

mackey
Premium Member

1 recommendation

mackey to what the

Premium Member

to what the
said by what the:

You're right! Ebay sellers never lie.
PS: you can buy the same item online if you look around enough and sometimes even cheaper then Ebay, like on Amazon, Newegg and so on.

Just because you got taken doesn't mean other people allow themselves to be suckered. I buy stuff 3+ times a week on ebay and have never bought something that was outright lied about.

As for Amazon and Newegg being cheaper, please. I buy stuff like last years model or new but opened box items for pennies on the dollar. A few months back I picked up a managed PoE switch with a lifetime warranty on ebay for $58 shipped; Newegg currently has them for $246 plus shipping. Are you telling me I should not of attempted to save $192+ because it might of cost me $10 to ship it back if the listing was wrong or didn't work? I also buy specialty parts/chips. Just last week I bought 6 microchips for $25 ea shipped; the going price on Mouser, Digikey, etc is $80+ plus shipping.

You can continue to shun ebay if you want. I'll be buying stuff while saving thousands TYVM.

/M

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to mackey

Premium Member

to mackey
said by mackey:

The last time that happened to me I just didn't leave any feedback. Accidents happen and I didn't want to ding them for it, but I couldn't claim everything was perfect either, so I left nothing.

This is what I did the last time. I bought a phone that specifically advertised that it was like new and included "everything in the box". Once I got it the phone had a tiny ding in it (barely noticeable but it's there) and shipped without the headphones that came in the box, and a generic charger (not the one in the box). I have headphones and chargers all over the place, and the ding was really tiny, so I didn't care at all about this stuff as I saved about $150 on the phone. At the same time it wasn't specifically 'like new' and did not ship with everything in the box. So I left no rating at all.

what the
usa

what the to mackey

to mackey
So you buy used items?
Not me!

mackey
Premium Member

mackey

Premium Member

More savings for me then!

/M
GeoFan
Premium Member
join:2012-12-10

GeoFan to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
As a rule, I post NO feedback if they didn't earn good feedback... Not worth posting negative feedback — unless you feel you were very disappointed and could not get satisfaction from the seller. Were you satisfied?

I bought a heavy electronic item (a variable transformer) which was shipped in a thin cardboard box with no care whatsoever for the damage that surely would ensue. When it arrived, it worked, but the case and volt meter cover were badly cracked. In that situation, I filed negative feedback — poor packing materials were used. Except for the cracks, it was nearly new, and cost 1/4 what a new one would have cost me.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
Having sold on ebay before (with a physical store as well), here is my perspective. You don't just "forget" to ship something. Every sale I got on ebay was handled first thing in the morning if it came in overnight. If it came in during the middle of the day I handled it at the next opportunity I got. If this was before UPS came by it went out that day, otherwise it went out the next day. I only had regular pickups for UPS as that was what most people picked, if you picked something else I might be able to catch FedEx/USPS in the complex but it generally had to wait a day while they processed the pickup request. Regardless, everything was out within 1 business day (weekends were obviously Monday morning).

Now, I'll admit this is a small shop with just myself or my dad doing the shipping and sales so it's not like there is a department to hand it off to for it to get lost in the shuffle. I assume as your company grows larger and you have more volume to process, this becomes a reality you have to deal with.

The question I have is, was there a "ships within" guarantee on the listing? Chances are it was 24-48 hours or something like that. Did they mark it as shipped in ebay before the four day window passed, or was it only marked after they realized their mistake? Considering the shipping was "free", there isn't much you can do about getting a discount on that (which I know is not what you wanted to do but others might and I wanted to put that out there).

As for the rating, things are a little tricky there. There are two shipping DSRs, one for shipping time and one for shipping costs. You won't be able to edit the shipping cost entry because of the free shipping. And depending on how quickly they actually marked it as shipped, you may not be able to edit the shipping time entry either. The downside is, apparently ebay can change this entry at their discretion ("if we later determine the seller met the requirements..." BS) You might be able to enter the "seller communication" entry, but only if you communicated through ebay (if you didn't it won't let you stating they detected no communication between you and the seller).

If you can rate them on shipping time DSR, then I would rate them appropriately based on whatever shipping guarantee was on the listing. If it's within 24 hours, I might consider a 3/5, but if it's 24-48 or something like that, then 4/5. If there is no guarantee then it's a judgement call but IM) no less than a 4/5.

For the rest of the rating, honestly you did get a damn good deal on the product, shipping was "free" and so forth. I would be inclined to give them a positive but maybe mention slow to ship or something like that. I would not give them a negative, neutral is the lowest I would go. I also would not give them ANY rating until after you have received the product and verify it works properly. They may have been in a rush to get the item out after "forgetting it" for four days so it may arrive damaged (which technically isn't the fault of the shipper then but good luck proving it).

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

1 edit

FureverFurry

Premium Member

JoelC707,
Gosh - thank you for your in-depth knowledge; much appreciated.

As for "ships within ..." in the listing: nothing stated. The order had no shipping options to choose but had "Fast and Free" which populated with a 25 July date when I got the confirmation. Just above that was an area for the tracking number to populate and order confirmation said the tracking number would be sent separately when shipped.

Yup: I surely got a fantastic good deal. Stuff happens, I know. I suspect that had I not contacted the seller, the "forgot to ship it" might have gone unnoticed.

UPS delivers it today, and I am not sure why I am so excited about getting a cleaning product, lol.

UPDATE: It arrived and apparently the "new in box" meant that at one time or another, it WAS "new" and in a box. A few accessories listed in the ad weren't there. I decided to leave NO rating and contacted the seller. His response (he is a "power seller") was "oh." One word: "oh". Back to Amazon shopping for me.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

You're very right, it probably would have gone unnoticed, which is sad really. As for the "ships within" section, I had to go and look; it's on the "shipping and payments" tab of the listing under the heading "handling time". The item I just recently bought indicates "will usually ship within 1 business day of receiving cleared payment". That "usually" generally gives them an "easy out" for things like this but it's intended use IMO is to cover things like holidays (people tend to assume business day = every Monday thru Friday and that's just not the case). The fact that ebay gave you a delivery estimate means there was likely a "ships within" section filled out. That plus when the seller actually marked it as shipped will really determine whether or not you can fill out the DSR properly.