Eustis, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
reply to clevere1

Re: How to get rid of a yellow jacket nest?

said by clevere1:

Ideas for killing it off?

I had a friend that used Dry Ice and dirt. Allot is dependent on access to the entrance to the hive. Just after sunrise when you can see what you are doing dump dry ice into the entrance and close up the entrance with the dirt. The C02 will asphyxiate the wasps and the cold will keep them from digging out the entrance. There will be no toxic residue.

WEAR THICK GLOVES AND EYE PROTECTION. BE CAREFUL WHEN HANDLING THE DRY ICE BECAUSE IT CAN CAUSE INSTANT FROST BURNS. BRING A PICNIC COOLER TO PICK UP THE DRY ICE FROM THE STORE. BREAK UP THE DRY ICE IN THE BOTTOM OF THE PICNIC COOLER. PLACE A METAL PAN AT THE BOTTOM OF THE COOLER TO PREVENT PUNCTURING THE COOLER. WAIT TO BREAK UP THE DRY ICE UNTIL YOU ARE AT THE HIVE AND DUMP IT RIGHT IN THE ENTRANCE HOLE. THEN COVER THE HOLE WITH DIRT.

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
I used similar method to get rid of 2 enormous art colonies that 'came with the house' I bought.
The ants bites left a wound and pain for days.

I placed a 1 kilo block of dry ice on top of each hole and covered with a plastic garbage bag and a little dirt to hold bag in place.
Few days later removed bag and no more ants.
That was 15 years ago