share rss forum feed

Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey

[Connection] 4" coax??

Hey guys,

My elderly neighbor disconnected his Comcast box in a drunken fit last night. The person who usually reassembles it is away so I'm trying to help but I have Verizon.

There's a 4" piece of coax that he says goes between two ports on the box but I can't figure out where.

Can anyone help?

Thanks )
--
"While you can teach an old dog new tricks, you simply can't teach him to be a cat."

"Are you my Mummy?"

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

Re: [Connection] 4" coax??

Its a bypass. You probably have 4 coax ports on the back. It just goes from one to the other. Its goes from port to port that doesnt say cable in, or to tv or vcr or something of that sort.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL
reply to Sweet Witch

It would help if you told us the model# of the box...be that as it may, look at this user guide of what I'm assuming is the same (vintage) of this type of digital box:

»www.secable.com/S_pdf/dct2500.pdf

If you go to page 6, (actual page# at bottom of page) there should be 2 connections that say TO RF IN & RF IN - this is where the jumper typically goes for most folks.
(also see page 20 for picture w/jumper in)

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to Sweet Witch

I always hated that pointless little RG-59 loop. So glad modern day equipment does not have this stupid thing.

boxmaker

@174.236.97.x

cyberstream that jumper isn't pointless. DCT2500 and many earlier GI boxes had option of 1 or 2 way boxes. 1 way boxes had blank plates while 2 way had a module which is why the jumper is needed.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

I always just used it as a handle to pick the box up by.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

said by cypherstream:

I always just used it as a handle to pick the box up by.

Thing is when that cable starts to suck out from being pulled (OEM cable was shitty crimp) it would cause upstream communication problems. I was sent on more than a few trouble calls where that was the problem....
--
You cannot fix a problem that you refuse to acknowledge.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

True so I am told. I just think it was a really dumb design. I don't remember the SA Explorer 2000 (or any SA box for that matter) having this kind of connection on the outside. The other vendors kept all that stuff internal (less to break).

I originally thought it was to pass through to an analog descrambler because back when these came out we had some analog scrambled channels. Those ended up just being digital simulcast back in the day when that was unheard of.

dishrich

Springfield, IL

Cypher, to expand on what boxmaker stated, when these boxes came out, the reason for the jumper, was specifically so these digital boxes could also be "retrofitted" on dual (A-B) cable systems - w/out having to make specific box models for these type of systems. GI made it so that only these systems that actually needed this functionality, had to pay for the capability; all these systems had to do was plug in the appropriate module onto the back of the boxes & PRESTO, they got the A-B switch they needed. (of course, they would then NOT use or need the coax jumper) These were actually "field installable" by the tech actually installing the box(es) in the home.

Also, GI also made RF bypass modules, so that subs could record & watch different (unscrambled, analog) channels at the same time; this was back in a time when most channels were NOT digital &/or scrambled. It was nice for subs that did NOT want to have to pay for a 2nd converter to watch/record different things.

»www.megacable.com.mx/sitefiles/m···2000.pdf

If you take a look at section 3 in this link, it goes into great detail on the capabilities of these different bypass modules; there's like 6 different permutations of A-B/RF bypass in this guide. I thought GI was ahead of it's time by even offering capabilities like this; unfortunately, I never saw a system around here that even offered these bypass modules to subs.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

Interesting document. A few things that I've never seen
-A/B cable systems (Sounds like a cure for bandwidth problems before IPTV/SDV ! Could you imagine two 750 plants for 1500 MHz! Or better yet two 860 plants for 1720 MHz! )
-Starfone return
-S-Video on DCT-2000's. The 2500s had them, but we never got any 2000's with them.
-Parallel port for printing? Really, printing what? Thought this was for HD-Sidecar.
-TV Pass card slot. Never saw or heard of this used ever. Nor the card slot on the front of the 6208 or 6412.

dishrich

Springfield, IL

1 edit

said by cypherstream:

-A/B cable systems (Sounds like a cure for bandwidth problems before IPTV/SDV

A/B were used mostly in the larger DMA's, BEFORE there was such a thing as "digital cable" & when the bandwidth limits of cable technology stopped at 450-500 mhz! When you had a cable system in a DMA, where you were REQUIRED to carry like 20+ off-air locals, multiple PEG channels, etc. - along with the growing list of cable channels that subs were demanding...& ALL in analog - the ONLY place to get that bandwidth, was to run another (parallel) cable system - that's an A/B cable system.

-Starfone return

Again, before 2-way cable systems were coming to fruition, this is how impulse PPV was implemented. (similar to satellite) When our system here was owned by TCI, that is how they gave us digital impulse PPV here.

-S-Video on DCT-2000's. The 2500s had them, but we never got any 2000's with them.

Since the TCI days & through now, we've had both models of DCT's here & I NEVER saw either one with that option...

-Parallel port for printing? Really, printing what? Thought this was for HD-Sidecar.

For "future use" (that never materialized) HD was hardly on the horizon when these boxes were created

-TV Pass card slot. Never saw or heard of this used ever. Nor the card slot on the front of the 6208 or 6412.

It was supposed to be used IF the DCII encryption was ever compromised; keep in mind GI had already been through their mess with their recently (SEVERELY) compromised VCII analog satellite encryption system - they did NOT want to take a chance on NOT being able to "fix" the problem w/out having to completely replace thousands of digital converters on hundreds of cable systems!
After GI proved their digital system WAS very secure, they stopped adding the slot on newer boxes.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by dishrich:

said by cypherstream:

-A/B cable systems (Sounds like a cure for bandwidth problems before IPTV/SDV

A/B were used mostly in the larger DMA's, BEFORE there was such a thing as "digital cable" & when the bandwidth limits of cable technology stopped at 450-500 mhz! When you had a cable system in a DMA, where you were REQUIRED to carry like 20+ off-air locals, multiple PEG channels, etc. - along with the growing list of cable channels that subs were demanding...& ALL in analog - the ONLY place to get that bandwidth, was to run another (parallel) cable system - that's an A/B cable system.

-Starfone return

Again, before 2-way cable systems were coming to fruition, this is how impulse PPV was implemented. (similar to satellite) When our system here was owned by TCI, that is how they gave us digital impulse PPV here.

Since the TCI days & through now, we've had both models of DCT's here & I NEVER saw either one with that option...

For "future use" (that never materialized) HD was hardly on the horizon when these boxes were created

It was supposed to be used IF the DCII encryption was ever compromised; keep in mind GI had already been through their mess with their recently (SEVERELY) compromised VCII analog satellite encryption system - they did NOT want to take a chance on NOT being able to "fix" the problem w/out having to completely replace thousands of digital converters on hundreds of cable systems!
After GI proved their digital system WAS very secure, they stopped adding the slot on newer boxes.

Don't forget about the SPDIF port a lot of them did not even have them even though it claimed Dolby Digital on the out side.

my grandpa has one of these old boxes he was lucky to get one with a spdif port on the box
--
Live Free or Die Hard...

dishrich

Springfield, IL

said by Anonymous_:

Don't forget about the SPDIF port a lot of them did not even have them even though it claimed Dolby Digital on the out side.

They put the "DD insignia" on the box, because ALL the boxes contained a DD AC-3 decoder...regardless if it had a SPDIF port or not.

This was the same way for the standalone Digital Cable Radio receiver (now Music Choice) that our system offered, when DCR first came out as a standalone service; the receiver ONLY offered an analog L/R audio output, but still had the DD logo on it.