clevere1
Premium
join:2002-01-06
Vancouver, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to clevere1

Re: How to get rid of a yellow jacket nest?

I guess I should have been more specific .. sorry.

It's an in ground nest. I tried some dawn and the hose last night. Poured the dawn in and ran water into the nest for an hour or so....

Then I saw soap bubbles exiting the ground under my fence... two ways to get out.. darn them.

I looked at the nest this morning, they are quite active....

So, sprays for an in ground nest? I really hate these things... There is lots of dead grass around the nest site, plus it is right next to the vinyl slats in my fence...... So my options are limited.
--
Where's th' DAFFY DUCK EXHIBIT??
--

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Take a shovel out and have you daffy duck moment. All joking aside you can dig it out if you have someone with a leaf blower.

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to clevere1
said by clevere1:

I guess I should have been more specific .. sorry.

It's an in ground nest. I tried some dawn and the hose last night. Poured the dawn in and ran water into the nest for an hour or so....

Then I saw soap bubbles exiting the ground under my fence... two ways to get out.. darn them.

I looked at the nest this morning, they are quite active....

So, sprays for an in ground nest? I really hate these things... There is lots of dead grass around the nest site, plus it is right next to the vinyl slats in my fence...... So my options are limited.
--

a gallon of bleach poured down the hole at night then put a rock over it works..

Boooost

@24.190.186.x
reply to clevere1
Tempo 1% dust. Or call an exterminator.

There are also yellow jacket traps you can hang on a nearby tree.

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to clevere1
You need this spay it in the hole & the foam will expend & fill the nest. »www.lowes.com/pd_190359-316-HG-5 ··· =3479819

clevere1
Premium
Vancouver, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
said by chip89:

You need this spay it in the hole & the foam will expend & fill the nest. »www.lowes.com/pd_190359-316-HG-5 ··· =3479819

Got it! Guess I'll try it.
--

clevere1
Premium
Vancouver, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to chip89
said by chip89:

Well, I couldn't find the "hole that leads to the nest" so I sprayed the foam stuff "where I saw activity"... we will see what happens.
--

edale

join:2012-01-21
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

Click for full size
I taped the end of the shopvac hose to a long bamboo pole and from a (safer) distance placed the end of the hose next to the hole in the ground. Every yellowjacket that flew into or out of the hole got sucked into the shopvac. Left it running for a few days. After that it was safe to dig up the hive, all the aggressor defenders were stuck in the shopvac and the only ones left were the wiggling eggs and a few doting "nurses" that were calm.

Very educational for the kids (who stayed inside the house during the dangerous part. They watched me work from the 2nd story window thru binoculars, yelled "RUN!" when they saw yellowjackets flying towards me).

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
I may try that shopvac trick.

This thread I very timely for me as I just found a Yellow Jacket nest in my house's foundation.

The nest entrance is in a foundation crack that is in the window well for my basement. Because of the metal semi-circle and the fact the crack is a bit below grade, I can't get a clear shot with spray into the crack.

I will try a piece of 1" PVC pipe taped to my shop vac. I think I can put a stake in the ground and tape the shop vac hose to the stake so PVC stays over the nest opening.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by pende_tim:

This thread I very timely for me as I just found a Yellow Jacket nest in my house's foundation.

The nest entrance is in a foundation crack that is in the window well for my basement. Because of the metal semi-circle and the fact the crack is a bit below grade, I can't get a clear shot with spray into the crack.

I will try a piece of 1" PVC pipe taped to my shop vac. I think I can put a stake in the ground and tape the shop vac hose to the stake so PVC stays over the nest opening.

Just dump some boiling water down there. The key to attacking them is do it after dark when they all head in to sleep.
--
"Trust Me I'm The Doctor!" -Doctor Who

pende_tim
Premium
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Critsmcgee:

said by pende_tim:

Just dump some boiling water down there. The key to attacking them is do it after dark when they all head in to sleep.

If I could get a clean shot at putting anything down the hole I would. Unfortunately the window well band is blocking a clear shot at the entrance.
--

edale

join:2012-01-21
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

reply to pende_tim
said by pende_tim:

I used my smaller shopvac, 5-ish gal., 1" or 1-1/2" hose dia. Set the hose end at a 90deg. angle to their approach/takeoff angle into & out of the hole. Sucked each one of them in as they passed to enter or leave. When the activity ended, I took the vac over to the exhaust pipe of my diesel, fired it up and within seconds they were knocked out, and covered with soot!

Set the hose there quietly and softly. Heavy vibrations get them riled up. The worst is passing a lawnmower over their underground hive!

Boooost

@24.190.186.x
reply to pende_tim
said by pende_tim:

If I could get a clean shot at putting anything down the hole I would. Unfortunately the window well band is blocking a clear shot at the entrance.

For the third or fourth time, use dust! You should be able to use it no matter how difficult the access is.

pende_tim
Premium
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
I may try Seven dust. Thought is to put it in the discharge of the shop vac pipe, place next to the opening and them turn on ( briefly).

If they are not dead in a few days, I will try sucking with the vac,
--

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

2 edits

1 recommendation

said by pende_tim:

I may try Seven dust.

The disaster at *Bhopal India occurred during the manufacture of a popular product sold in the US.
»www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ··· 1142333/

For ten points and yet another free subscription to dslreports, name the product.

*"On December 3 1984, more than 40 tons of methyl isocyanate gas leaked from a pesticide plant in Bhopal, India, immediately killing at least 3,800 people and causing significant morbidity and premature death for many thousands more."

FWIW, Dow still hasn't fully fixed their mess there, nearly 30 years later.
I doubt they ever will.

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
said by Grumpy:

polyurethane foam

Grumpy
Premium
NW CT
said by wirelessdog:

said by Grumpy:

polyurethane foam

Close, but nope.

To spare y'all the guessing game, Dow was brewing up Sevin

The leak was not finished product, just a part of the Sevin manufacturing process.

Boooost

@151.190.40.x
reply to pende_tim
Tempo might be better; it's a Pyrethroid. And use a bulb duster. Get one with a 12" extension.

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to Grumpy
said by Grumpy:

said by pende_tim:

I may try Seven dust.

The disaster at *Bhopal India occurred during the manufacture of a popular product sold in the US.
»www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ··· 1142333/

For ten points and yet another free subscription to dslreports, name the product.

*"On December 3 1984, more than 40 tons of methyl isocyanate gas leaked from a pesticide plant in Bhopal, India, immediately killing at least 3,800 people and causing significant morbidity and premature death for many thousands more."

FWIW, Dow still hasn't fully fixed their mess there, nearly 30 years later.
I doubt they ever will.

which reminds me of the Three Mile Island accident. the bottom line is, things have to be done safely, and correctly, and you can't reduce costs by reducing required safety measures and training..

Grumpy
Premium
NW CT

1 recommendation

See also: Chernobyl, where the locals did not know they were ingesting extreme radioactivity for a matter of days afterwards. Then they were told they could return home after evacuation, which was not the case, and so most left everything (like irreplaceable photos and family keepsakes) behind.

It should be all good in 15,000 years or so though.

Let's hope events like these are used as learning opportunities as opposed to being swept under proverbial rugs.

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to Grumpy
Was't that Dow's plant that made Sevin liquid bug killer?

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2

1 recommendation

That was Union Carbide I believe.

intok

join:2012-03-15
reply to edale
The eaisiest nest I've killed so far was one setup in my neighbor's railing made out of some 1" diameter pipe, just capped the ends, never open it, ever.

Grumpy
Premium
NW CT
reply to Pacrat
said by Pacrat:

That was Union Carbide I believe.

You're correct. It was Union Carbide's plant that had the Bhopal accident.

My confusion was that Dow acquired Union Carbide 17 years after the accident, so the name "Dow" often appears in the Bhopal stories.

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5
reply to edale
said by edale:

Heavy vibrations get them riled up. The worst is passing a lawnmower over their underground hive!

That reminds me of something that happened to me as a teen. I was at my step brothers house and was helping them cut the grass. For a little bit of back-story, the push mower they had did not shut off when you released the grab handle. No one knew about a bee's nest there but I sure found it when I passed over their hole I sure found it. Needless to say, that always running mower got parked over their hole and I hauled ass back to the house. Twas quite amusing cause I never saw a bee make it past the mower LOL.