spc
Search similar:

uniqs
zackmax
join:2014-07-26

zackmax

[Internet] NAS and Printer not getting IP from DHCP

I have a strange problem.
I live in Milton and have Fibe 50/50. New house so the Bell reps obviously leave the modem in the living room even though I asked them multiple times to take it up to my room but they don't want to run the cable.

Here is my problem.
I am now using powerline adapters to take internet up to my study room that has multiple equipment that need to be connected especially NAS and Printer.

NAS is Synology DS213J
Printer is MF 4770 N

From the Powerline adapter, the cable goes into the switch and from there into all these other devices including my desktop computer which runs Windows 7.

My windows 7 desktop gets an IP just fine from the DHCP; however, the NAS and Printer do not. I tried many times. Changing cables, ports on switch etc, but no go.
Then I went and got another switch and tried that, same problem.

So my guess is that this is a Windows vs. Linux thing?

Other than setting static IP is there a solution to this problem or anyone know why this is happening?

hlo207
join:2012-11-16
North York, ON

hlo207

said by zackmax:

I have a strange problem.
I live in Milton and have Fibe 50/50. New house so the Bell reps obviously leave the modem in the living room even though I asked them multiple times to take it up to my room but they don't want to run the cable.

That I am really surprised. Was the internet there when you moved in (done during construction) or the installation was done after you moved in? If it was done after you moved in, maybe you can complain.

When I got my FTTH to my 25 yrs old house, the Bell tech had no issue when I told him I want the gateway up in my 2nd floor computer room. He just grab his box of outdoor cat5e cable, drills, etc and get to work. Cat5e came back out of the basement entry hole of the fibre, ran along outside wall to 2nd floor before re-entering. I have to use powerline adapter (crappy for speed) to feed the TVPad in the family room downstairs. Also another network cable that run into the basement from outside of house again, courtesy of a relative that does home alarms.
zackmax

zackmax

Installation was done after I moved in.

Yeah I asked at least 3 different techs but none of them did it.
So I am cancelling cuz I gotta set static IPs for everything I connect upstairs now.

hlo207
North York, ON

hlo207

They probably won't move it after installation was done. If they pass you to retention, you should give them the reason! Maybe they will finally do it.

Did they say why they won't do that?

If they told me gateway have to sit where the ONT sits, I would have cancel on the spot.
zackmax

zackmax

They said its not possible to run the cable up into the bedroom.
Next one said its possible but too much work.

hlo207
North York, ON

hlo207

Outside wall is what was done to my place. And what the expert on this forum told me the way it is done. Unless your place is truly too complicated.

Why didn't you send them back out the door during installation when they told you the gateway had to go where it is.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to zackmax

Premium Member

to zackmax
Don't new homes come prewired with ethernet to all the rooms so it souldn't matter where the modem goes? Or am I expecting too much of new home builders these days...
zackmax

1 recommendation

zackmax

You're expecting too much lol
zackmax

zackmax to hlo207

to hlo207
Outside wall is what the 2nd tech mentioned but he also said he has no time for all that work and left.

hlo207
North York, ON

hlo207

said by zackmax:

Outside wall is what the 2nd tech mentioned but he also said he has no time for all that work and left.

My install appt was first thing in the morning at the end of August on a Saturday. The tech has another job after me.

Wire pulling, drilling, drill the mounts every few metres along the wall, put in the ethernet jack plugs inside. Definitely could be a bit or work.
zackmax

zackmax

That's a poor excuse considering how much I am paying for this service. Hence the canceling.

I would be more interested to know why my other network devices aren't getting an IP. It's a strange problem.
lowping
join:2013-08-04

lowping to zackmax

to zackmax
What kind of switch ?

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

It very well may be an issue with the powerline adapters.
I've used them in several places and had to pull them out because of issues like the OP has.
zackmax

zackmax to lowping

to lowping
Tried both netgear and d-link.

Here is the setup

Sagemcom -> powerline adapter main floor -> powerline adapter 2nd floor -> netgear switch -> All the devices

FYI, the devices connected directly to Sagemcom such as my smart TV get the IP just fine.
zackmax

zackmax to Nitra

to Nitra
said by Nitra:

It very well may be an issue with the powerline adapters.
I've used them in several places and had to pull them out because of issues like the OP has.

ok so is it only this specific set of powerline adapters or all would have the same problem?
lowping

lowping to zackmax

to zackmax
said by zackmax:

Tried both netgear and d-link.

Here is the setup

Sagemcom -> powerline adapter main floor -> powerline adapter 2nd floor -> netgear switch -> All the devices

FYI, the devices connected directly to Sagemcom such as my smart TV get the IP just fine.

Well that's weird since it's working for your windows PC. I would try to plug directly in the sagemcom.
zackmax

zackmax

Under network devices?
I see it but it shows as Inactive

Well anything that goes windows whether laptop or desktop get the IP from dhcp just fine. It's the other devices that don't.
zackmax

zackmax

If I use a regular linksys wi-fi router upstairs and connect the sagemcom to it, is there a way to configure routes on the sagemcom as I don't see one on its web interface.

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

Unplug the Linksys from anything else.
Login to it, set it's IP on the same block as the Sagemcom, say 192.168.2.254, but not the same IP as the Sagemcom
Next, disable DHCP on the Linksys.
Next, plug the cable from downstairs into port 1-4, NOT Internet.
Next, win?
zackmax

zackmax

Basically you're saying to put linksys into bridge mode. There are some links on how to do it correctly. I have tried that too.
What you mention is just making it a switch.

I have used actual switches that did not work either.

Now if there was a way to create a route on sagemcom then I could point it to go to linksys router for certain things such as plex client on my smart tv to plex server on my desktop.

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

You don't need to mess with routes.
KISS
lowping

lowping to zackmax

to zackmax
said by zackmax:

If I use a regular linksys wi-fi router upstairs and connect the sagemcom to it, is there a way to configure routes on the sagemcom as I don't see one on its web interface.

You can't configure much of anything on the sagemcom, never mind routes.

Terrific
join:2008-07-09
Cobourg, ON

Terrific to zackmax

to zackmax
slight hint to OP. Is it possible that the Powerline is on the wrong side of the Transformer from the street? There are TWO different legs of the transformer power (out of phase by 180 degrees). IF your Source Router is on Leg 'a' , and your Studio/den is on leg 'b', that could be why they are not connecting. As a Sample -Verify with an ordinary light fixture (A lamp?), plug in one outlet in Den. In basement turn off, then on, each circuit breaker until the lamp goes out. Identify that Breaker. Do the same for where the hub is. (Yes I know it will kill the hub, (You do get intermittent interruptions), check which Circuit breaker trips for the hub outlet. IF they are not on the same group (even numbered or odd numbered). That could be your problem. Need to find if there is somewher that is common to both. Try Kitchen Outlet for the same, and plug Sender in upper(lower) depending as needed. I Hope this may help.
Terrific

Terrific to mr weather

to mr weather
said by mr weather:

Don't new homes come prewired with ethernet

Not unless the builder has it in the contract.

ordinary telephone cable is ~$0.50 per foot installed. Ethernet Cable is twice as much(or more for CAT5 Plenum). IF the BUILDER does not specify in the contract of purchase, then POTS is delivered. IF Bell (Subcontracted to outside Fibre Installation team?) does not wish to deliver product to where YOU WANT it. Send them packing, and Contract with competition. Oh, in Canada, you say. Sorry SOL.