dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

EmoHobo
join:2010-07-16

EmoHobo

Computer suddenly shut down while I was away how to find out why?

The only thing in my log is: The previous system shutdown at 9:07:48 AM on 7/26/2014 was unexpected.

but according to my roommate the computer was on when they checked earlier, around 10 AM or so and the system wasn't booted back on until around at around 2:38 and I have something like this in the log: The operating system started at system time 2014-07-26T18:38:09.109999300Z.

It was mildly storming in the day around noon, and I'm wondering if that is actually took it out, but I want to find a way to rule out either a blue screen or failing hardware or maybe even overheating.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

If the system had bugchecked ('blue screened') there would likely be a bugcheck entry in the system event log.

EmoHobo

EmoHobo

Where will the bug check show up at?
EmoHobo

EmoHobo

I mean I searched for bugcheck and it didn't show up, however searching for just "bug" brought this message: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

but that was brought up by searching bug and not bugcheck.
wolfy339
join:2005-04-30
Edmonds, WA

wolfy339

I have seen a few cases where the system will bluescreen without producing a bugcheck entry and minidump file. Usually bugcheck entries will show up under the system log, you can make them easier to find by clicking on "Filter Current Log", selecting "Bugcheck" in the event sources dropdown, and then hitting OK. When a bugcheck entry is produced it makes the problem that much easier to troubleshoot. That said, right now my top two suspects for this are brief power failure and overheating.

EmoHobo

EmoHobo

That's my guess is either brief power failure or over heating, but I can confirm all the fans are running now and it's blowing out cool air.

Is it possible for the Event Log time to be wrong about the 9 am thing? Also nothing came up for Bugcheck.