spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Spro22
@74.64.23.x

Spro22

Anon

which sony laptop is for gaming

my cousin wants a sony laptop so bad for gaming that i told him its not worth it.
Its his money and he wants one for 1000 to 1500 gaming sony laptop. anyone got a idea of which laptop should i buy?
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

1 recommendation

asdfdfdfdfdf

Premium Member

Sony sold off its laptop business to Japan Industrial Partners and is not selling new product outside of the japanese market right now.
I have looked a bit at older product still available in the US and couldn't find anything that I would recommend. Why is he so focused on sony?

Freddy
Premium Member
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA

Freddy to Spro22

Premium Member

to Spro22
Spro22,

Take your pick of any of these costing between $1,000 to $1,500:

»www.xoticpc.com/custom-g ··· _98.html

Freddy

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Spro22

Premium Member

to Spro22
Spro22, why does he want a Sony laptop in particular?

I'd second teh recommendation to go to XoticPC and pick the laptop with the most powerful GPU that fits his budget. Look for a Mobile 290X (M290X) or GTX 770M/780M.

spro22
@74.64.23.x

spro22

Anon

he just wants a name brand that is trusted meaning long term acceptance in society like sony
spro22

spro22

Anon

looking at the site, if i just upgrade the parts, would there be a situation where i get the pc and it doesnt run correctly meaning low power supply compare to the graphics card making it a loud noise.

im exaggerating, but i hope you understand what i mean.
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member

asdfdfdfdfdf to Spro22

Premium Member

to Spro22
"looking at the site, if i just upgrade the parts, would there be a situation where i get the pc and it doesnt run correctly meaning low power supply compare to the graphics card making it a loud noise."

You mean xoticpc? No they won't sell you a laptop with an inadequate power supply. Gaming machines can be louder than other systems as they have higher end hardware. The laptops xotic sells are generally name brand machines.
I will look at xotic tomorrow and see what I would recommend for your situation. You can look in this recent thread where I pointed up a sager machine in that price range. I will look again but that is still likely to be one of the best options as the thread is only a couple of weeks old.

»looking to buy a gaming laptop for 1000 to 1300 USD
asdfdfdfdfdf

asdfdfdfdfdf to Spro22

Premium Member

to Spro22
I looked over the present options and the sager 8268s is still one of the best deals there.

If you want a 17" screen and an ssd the 8278s is worth the extra $100.
Note neither of these come configured with an operating system. You need to add that in on the configuration page, if necessary(i.e. if you don't have a RETAIL copy, not an oem copy from another big box maker, as they are not transferable).
asdfdfdfdfdf

asdfdfdfdfdf to Spro22

Premium Member

to Spro22
Sager makes high end gaming laptops.

If he doesn't want a sager, but wants a better known big brand only, post back and I'll see what xotic options there are for that. Note you will get a less powerful machine for the money(something like 860m graphics) if you go with asus, alienware etc.

spro22
@74.64.23.x

spro22

Anon

quality response, thanks. ill just make him get this, but one question i always wonder is do laptops always run warm when playing games?
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member

2 edits

asdfdfdfdfdf

Premium Member

Games are one of the most demanding things you can do with a computer i.e. they put a high load on the cpu and graphics which are the primary power guzzlers in a machine. This generates a lot of heat which, in a laptop, is packed into a very small tight enclosure. Although some laptops handle this better than others, in general yes, a laptop will get hot when gaming. Hopefully the heat will be moved and vented out of the small case fast enough that throttling won't be much problem but I don't know of any site's testing that gives good data for comparisons about the effectiveness of specific laptops in doing this.

edit:
I haven't yet found any good tests on what, if any, benefit you would get with the copper cooling upgrade on those laptops.

you can also buy inexpensive laptop cooling pads which are pads that put fans underneath the laptop to dissipate the exhaust heat more rapidly, rather than having it sit on a solid surface.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Spro22

Premium Member

to Spro22
I'd say sony isn't for gaming and never was, just over hyped name recog.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to Spro22

Premium Member

to Spro22
Also if he wants a top of the line gaming laptop then look at falcon NW (though I haven't looked I bet Falcon would bust the budget.)
HappyFrappy
join:2000-10-04
North

HappyFrappy to Spro22

to Spro22
Falcon NW uses a SSD as a boot drive with optical 2nd bay SSD or HDD, base model is nearly priced on par with a nVidia equipped 15" Retina MacBook Pro

If your cousin wants durability 17" notebooks have more airflow/surface to work with than the typical 14/15" PC, keep in mind most off-the-shelf 15" notebooks struggle heat wise with a GeForce 750M/760M/850M as every OEM keeps trying to make a thinner machine and reliability has dropped off quite a bit since 2010.

Gaming specific notebooks will cost more as extra engineering is a must, there isn't a race to the lowest price point as it would damage their reputation. If compact is a requirement you can't beat Alienware's 14" model but sadly it weighs as much as a 2006-2008 era Thinkpad T60/T61(6.1 lb).
said by spro22 :

one question i always wonder is do laptops always run warm when playing games?

It *really* depends upon the case design, cooling layout and materials. Since most PC notebooks use plastic or plastic with glued/pressed on faux metal(ex: HP DM4/Envy) some notebooks cook HDDs to death and throttle due to lack of ability to properly displace the heat. Many are critical of Apple notebooks throttling, however the case acts like a big heatsink thanks to the slab of aluminum unibody and the hottest area is typically just the hinge vs most PCs which are toasty on the left or right side air duct and sometimes part of the keyboard gets warmer than most.

If you want to get a good idea of "hot spots" on various makers I'd suggest browsing NoteBookCheck.com and NoteBookReview.com as they do list a great amount of info. Generally any notebook with a dedicated mid-level GPU is going to be toasty.