Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Philmatic
Premium
join:2000-07-15
Santa Barbara, CA

[CA] Santa Barbara speed upgrades?

Any word on when SB should see bumps to mirror Phoenix and other markets?

We got bumped up to 100mbps about 6 months ago, and we are already doing channel bonding (8x4), so I don't imagine the upgrades will require that much work.

I don't need 150mbps, but hey, "need" and "want" are two completely unrelated concepts.

Bolt Pride
Premium
join:2001-02-15
Escondido, CA

The upgrades are for Preferred and Premier only.

»Re: [AZ] Speed Increase July Rollout Date for Preferred/Premier
--
Team Discovery

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by Bolt Pride:

Sorry but you're wrong here. Because since premier is being pushed to 100mbps, ultimate will go to 150mbps down as well. Cox would have a shit storm, if ultimate had same download speeds of a lower tier.

Maltz

join:2011-01-08
Fayetteville, AR

said by lilstone87:

said by Bolt Pride:

Sorry but you're wrong here. Because since premier is being pushed to 100mbps, ultimate will go to 150mbps down as well. Cox would have a shit storm, if ultimate had same download speeds of a lower tier.

Most places had ultimate upgraded to 150Mb last year. While I would assume that areas with 100Mb ultimate will be bumped to 150Mb, I haven't heard that for certain. There are still several things you get with ultimate besides just the download speed... More IP numbers, a higher cap, and faster upload come to mind.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

I do remember seeing a post somewhere about multiple IPs going away.
--
Despises any post with strings.

Anonguy

@68.106.20.x

said by dvd536:

Multiple Computer access went away for everyone on a tier less than Ultimate.

Ultimate still gets 3 IP's by default.

Cali Guy

@70.181.132.x

Since the Cali markets still have not had Ultimate upgraded to the 150/188Mbps DL speeds like everyone else has been for a while, Cox should make the Ultimate tier here a good 200 or 250Mbps and higher upload to justify the higher price point and loooong wait for this area to be upgraded.

On a related note, doesn't Cox have a huge network infrastructure in CA and a few regional NOC's just in this state alone (unlike all there other states)? Is that why it's taking so long to make things faster here?

Philmatic
Premium
Santa Barbara, CA
reply to Anonguy

said by Anonguy :

said by dvd536:

Multiple Computer access went away for everyone on a tier less than Ultimate.

Ultimate still gets 3 IP's by default.

Ah, that explains why the upgrade in cost for me going to Ultimate was offset a good amount because of the multiple IP charge being rolled in. I was being charged $10 a month for multiple IPs, now it's included and I didn't even notice.

rdsport323

join:2001-05-28
Irvine, CA

said by Philmatic:

Ah, that explains why the upgrade in cost for me going to Ultimate was offset a good amount because of the multiple IP charge being rolled in. I was being charged $10 a month for multiple IPs, now it's included and I didn't even notice.

how do you even take advantage of getting 3 IPs? Wouldn't you need 3 cable modems connected in the same house?

Philmatic
Premium
Santa Barbara, CA

said by rdsport323:

said by Philmatic:

how do you even take advantage of getting 3 IPs? Wouldn't you need 3 cable modems connected in the same house?

No, just a switch between the modem and router(s). I have two routers connected to the modem, one personal (Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite) and one for work. I work at home full time and the work router has issues being placed behind my personal router. It's just easier and cleaner this way.