All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tifosi_29
join:2010-10-14
Los Altos, CA

tifosi_29

Cannot get 45Mbps service with NVG589 & "Power Tier" (Ethernet or WiFi)

55/6 profile (over 1G ethernet, no TV, 3 other 1G devices)

55/6 profile (over 1G ethernet, no TV, no other 1G devices

55/6 profile (11bgn, 20MHz, Ch6, 100% power)

55/6 profile (11n-only, 20MHz, Ch6, 100% power)

55/6 profile (11n-only, 40MHz, Ch6, 100% power)

Click for full size
NVG589 line specs at 55/6 profile
Hi Everyone, ive just had an interesting experience getting my Max Turbo service upgrade to 45Mbps "Power" tier. You can read about it here if interested: »Line issues when pair-bonding a 55/6 profile with NVG589

I now can get really good line specs, SNR Margin, etc. Attached you can see my latest data. I can get over 60Mbps Max attainable sync on each line, and you can see that my bonded config is now getting 55/6Mbps sync rates needed for the 45Mbps service. Everything looks really good, except almost 200k FEC errors on Line1 over the last 3 days. Is that something that would effect speed?

Anyways, I have tried over both Ethernet (cabled) and WiFi (wireless), and used various configs, but I can only seem to get about 29-30Mbps downstream, and 4.5-4.9Mbps upstream.

The images show the following Speedtests:
1) 55/6 profile over 1G ethernet (no TV, 3 other 1G devices connected)
2) 55/6 profile over 1G ethernet (no TV, no other 1G devices connected)
3) 55/6 profile (11bgn, 20MHz, Ch6, 100% power)
4) 55/6 profile (11n-only, 20MHz, Ch6, 100% power)
5) 55/6 profile (11n-only, 40MHz, Ch6, 100% power)

So even the robust 1G ethernet connection isnt getting more than 30Mbps when it should be getting 45Mbps.

Any ideas as to what might be going on? Is there a configuration in the NVG589 that I should be adjusting?

Is there any possibility I may be provisioned with 55/6 for 45Mbps service, but somewhere in the AT&T computers they still have me at a certain lower rate? I only ask because when the PT & Tier2 where diagnosing my original problems they were flipping me between 25/2, 32/5 and 55/6 profiles...about 10-15 times. I've also noticed in MyAtt that I had like 15 orders associated with this account in the span of a few days, some completed, some cancelled, but it seems like it might have had to do with provisioning a profile.

Anyways, any help is greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need any more data, or need me to run any further tests.

Thx.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Switch your wireless back to 6 and 20 MHz. This isn't a problem with wireless or anything else like that. It looks like you're provisioned for Max Turbo. You need to be put on the correct tier.

You need to contact AT&T at attcustomercare@att.com and ask them to place your provisioning for Power as you're accidentally provisioned for Max Turbo.
tifosi_29
Los Altos, CA

tifosi_29

OK, ill try that. But isnt Max Turbo at 32/5 profile with 25Mbps service? Why would I be getting closer to 30Mpbs service?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by tifosi_29:

OK, ill try that. But isnt Max Turbo at 32/5 profile with 25Mbps service? Why would I be getting closer to 30Mpbs service?

It's 24/3, but it's over provisioned to about 29.3/4.85ish which is what you're seeing.
tifosi_29
Los Altos, CA

tifosi_29

Thx. Ive sent an email to AT&T Customer care with the info, my BAN, etc.

Im confused as people keep telling my I am provisioned for 55/6 "Power". How many places do you need to get it provisioned?

Seems like sales (for billing), the actual technical provision (by Tier2 for allowing the RG to sync), other?

Can it get screwed up if they keep swapping things around?

Or am I missing something.

David0417
Premium Member
join:2001-02-22
Clover, SC

David0417 to tifosi_29

Premium Member

to tifosi_29
I see your testing to the same site San Jose you need to try some different test servers and also try speakeasy.net, I have seen some sites get this half speed some do not try it out.
tifosi_29
Los Altos, CA

tifosi_29

Sorry, I did other tests and didnt post to save some time. I tried other PC's in the house, my iPhone, etc...and changed various servers in the bay area...all were within 1Mbps or so (the ones posted were the best).

I just did Speakeasy, and my results were:
Download Speed: 27282 kbps (3410.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4783 kbps (597.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Actually, it said Ookla on the bottow, so is Speakeasy Speedtest the same as Speedtest.net anyway?

Thx.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to tifosi_29

Premium Member

to tifosi_29
said by tifosi_29:

Thx. Ive sent an email to AT&T Customer care with the info, my BAN, etc.

Im confused as people keep telling my I am provisioned for 55/6 "Power". How many places do you need to get it provisioned?

Seems like sales (for billing), the actual technical provision (by Tier2 for allowing the RG to sync), other?

Can it get screwed up if they keep swapping things around?

Or am I missing something.

Did they respond yet?

Your line profile doesn't matter if you're above the speed tier. You can be on 3 Mbps with a 55/6 line profile if you really wanted to. The problem for you is that you're paying for Max Turbo or your account says you have Power, but it wasn't pushed to the gateway yet telling it to grant you higher speeds. Usually speed increases can be done instantly right on the spot. Your 55/6 line profile is fine, it's just a problem with the actual internet tier speed. There are sort of two provisionings, the line profile(which is fine in your cash) and the tier you subscribe to.
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7

I agree - Based on those speed tests your modem is getting what you would see if you had the 24/3 tier ... your "profile" is fine but the "tier" needs to be adjusted to the 45/6 "Power" tier to resolve your issue.
premtrekker
join:2014-06-23
canada

premtrekker to tifosi_29

to tifosi_29
The 55/6 profile is what gives you the capability to get the "Power" speed. Its just the speed that your modem is linked up at, for use with video/data/voice traffic. Doesn't mean that is your allowed internet speed.
tifosi_29
Los Altos, CA

tifosi_29 to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
Nope...havent got a response via the email. I wouldnt really expect one, assuming its a 9-5 weekday operation.

I will be sure to indicate that it is the "tier" I need changed, not the "profile" which appears to be correct. They last time I spoke to someone last week though (via chat) they indicated I was on the 45Mbps billing tier. Is that the same as the subscriber "tier" you are referring to?

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige

1. Billing or what service/tier you are subscribed to needs to be 45Mbps, aka Hsia45, aka Power. That much is just one or two database entries somewhere.

2. RG profile needs to indicate 55/6 profile at least (higher profiles to come, haven't seen them yet). This establishes an upper-bound of what your line characteristics can deliver.

3. and still you don't get what you paid for... because some other hardware in the u-verse network (upstream from your RG, ports in the VRAD or higher) needs to be "provisioned" to match.

This other HW provisioning, among other things, is *another* upper-bound. Regardless of your RG profile (which may be able to do even faster), ATT configures their HW to give you a max data rate.

Changing #1 (the billing tier or subscribed service in some database) is supposed to lead immediately to corresponding change in #3 (the HW that delivers you that service).

For some reason, Power tier has a higher incidence of the problem: provisioning not "taking" or "sticking", and becomes setup incorrectly as-if for a lower speed tier. It might have existing before Power, but Power made it infamous.

And I'm sure it is rare considering all their customers, but on the forum there's another case probably more than once a month.

Not to go off on a rant here... but ATT must "know" when their customers are misprovisioned and not getting what they paid for. They must be able to run periodic automated checks to verify all is consistent. To query their HW and confirm the setting took and sticks.

Maybe its new HW cards, definitely new FW at least, and either or both have bugs, maybe their FW lies and says provisioned correctly when it is not.

At best they have a provisioning reliability issue due to HW or SW bugs and are working to fix. At worst they have accepted the issue and don't want to spend resources to fix, and don't care how many customers are blissfully ignorant of being cheated.

Mr Fel
INTJ - The Architect
Premium Member
join:2008-03-17
Louisville, KY
Asus RT-N66

Mr Fel

Premium Member

I've read more cases about misprovisioning on here than I've seen in the field (grand total of one so far for misprovision). You're right though about something conflicting here causing the issue. I have had the one case where I traced everything down to the point that I took the 589 with me all the to the xbox with a belkin bbu and checked it manually, and still the same slow speeds. Had it reprovisioned several times to no avail. After a solid two hours of diagnosing it's down to either a port/card and/or 589 issue. Put in an I&R ticket for a port swap (Southeast wire techs still don't do these) and moved on, never heard a word about it since then.

I don't remember off hand but I'm pretty sure it was on a F Card, which wouldn't surprise me any if that was the culprit. I've had to have entire F Cards bounced just to fix a sync no service issue on new bonded pair installs.
tifosi_29
Los Altos, CA

tifosi_29

said by Mr Fel:

I've read more cases about misprovisioning on here than I've seen in the field (grand total of one so far for misprovision)

Sp are you thinking im correctly provisioned?
said by Mr Fel:

Put in an I&R ticket for a port swap

Are you thinking a request into attcustomercare@att.com or to the Chat Support team is futile...and that the only resolution is an I&R performing a Port Swap (cant a PT do a port swap also)?
said by Mr Fel:

I don't remember off hand but I'm pretty sure it was on a F Card, which wouldn't surprise me any if that was the culprit. I've had to have entire F Cards bounced just to fix a sync no service issue on new bonded pair installs.

I was told by the original PT that I was on a K-card, but he didnt seem sure. One of the techs responding to my other DSLR thread indicated I had an N-card.

Mr Fel
INTJ - The Architect
Premium Member
join:2008-03-17
Louisville, KY
Asus RT-N66

Mr Fel

Premium Member

No, I think you're incorrectly provisioned here, you just have to convince someone through support that you are as well and have them reprovision you. I was just talking about a repair I've been on that had very similar results, even after a reprovision.

My point was that while it isn't impossible to get incorrectly provisioned, it's just very rare in my experience to actually see it out in the field. Usually other things are at fault. But bare in mind, after attempting a reprovision and if it doesn't work only then you will want a port swap. I just know that the Wire Techs in the southeast can't do port swaps, as far as prem techs go I don't know. My job title until the unionization in the southeast was prem tech, now we're all wire techs out here.
Mcmurdy1980
join:2012-10-22
Newhall, CA

Mcmurdy1980 to tifosi_29

to tifosi_29
Get those FECs fixed. Chances are its an outside issue