uniqs
share rss forum feed

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 recommendation

Internet-based installer packages

I remember this topic recently in regards to installer packages with wrappers and software being installed the user did not request.
This happened again and at Majorgeeks, not Filehippo.
This was directed from the original software makers site to majorgeeks and then via their server.

I uninstalled 3 or 4 software, ran a cleaner and mbam. Which of course said there was 24 dubious hits and all where related to the software I'd just received free of charge.
I will admit I was downloading free ware and understand free ware is just that, what I was getting to was this:
Is it legitimate to do this with wrappers or as a user my choice on the free down load is mine.
However I'd like to not install anything I don't want and I am happy to move on to other software if the installer setup does not change.
I'd still like to know if "free bundled" software is in the installer before the process has started.

--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

amazingm
Premium
join:2001-07-16
USA
Majorgeeks clearly labels bundleware software on its site. Are you saying that the particular software you downloaded was not labeled as Bundleware on the site? Here's more info: »www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/th···now.html

norwegian
Premium
Outback

I downloaded Shark Advanced Codecs via it's home page and it's redirect to majorgeeks, and no, there was no alert in the installer for toolbars and the likes to allow the check box to be unchecked as per that link.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to norwegian
Have you reported it to Majorgeeks, either directly or via their forum? It may be something they're not aware of, based on their bundling statement that amazingm See Profile referenced.
--
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -- A. de Tocqueville

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
reply to norwegian
if you had a problem, i think you also should contact "shark" about it and see what they say..

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to norwegian
Click for full size
I will send a couple of emails and see what comes back.
See attached to get an idea of was extra - remember this was after I'd uninstalled the extra software.
It isn't the first time this has happened with the Shark installer.

norwegian
Premium
Outback

1 edit
reply to norwegian
said by norwegian:

I downloaded Shark Advanced Codecs via it's home page and it's redirect to majorgeeks, and no, there was no alert in the installer for toolbars and the likes to allow the check box to be unchecked as per that link.

It seems I missed the selection and was wrong.
I've tried the install again to see if there was something I missed (and my eyes need checking), and as per images there is a skip function.
Slightly different though to what I normally see.
My own fault for not looking correctly, but thought in the end, it adds as a reminder about installers and toolbars / third party applications.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to norwegian
For the record, it is part of the installer package, see this link:
»shark007.net/forum/Thread-malware-in

quote:
"Shark007"

There is a simple solution...
Use 7zip to extract the files from the distributed installer
within the extracted files, you'll find an installer with NO extra junk. Use it instead.

OR
disconnect your computer from the internet - install - reconnect to the internet.

So this isn't quite the same as the link I mentioned in the OP, however it does mean I will look harder next time.
--

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
Softpedia notes it a "Ad-supported".

"Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:

Offers to change the homepage for web browsers installed in the system
Offers to change the default search engine for web browsers installed in the system
Offers to download or install software or components (such as browser toolbars) that the program does not require to fully function"

»www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia···cs.shtml

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

2 recommendations

reply to norwegian
Why use software distributed by scumbags?

If they demonstrate so much contempt for their users, I wouldn't touch their software with a bargepole. Expecting good software from bad people seems unrealistic.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to norwegian
I'd use K-Lite instead if he expects you to do that... he seems a but rude IMOP.

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to norwegian
Dustyn,
I normally do use K-Lite but every now and then you try something new.
I remember how much Dadkins would play that field.....

Dave,
After reading the reply in the forums, it doesn't hold well for a long term relationship and I won't be committing to a donation at all because of it.

therube,
Thanks for pointing that out.
It has helped harden my choice.

-------

It does make one want to look more at what they do when installing from the internet, as CD's seem to be almost extinct and online may be our only choices soon.
Feel free to use this topic for discussions on online or wrapped installers or installers with added features from 3rd parties.

I know I have to become more anal over what is downloaded and installed.
--