spc
Search similar:

uniqs
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

billydunwood

Check Engine Light question

Will fixing the problem on a CEL clear it, or does it need to be cleared after fixing it?
Background:
Friend has an 04 S55 AMG and the P0410 CEL came on, took it to her mechanic who inspected it for free and told us it needed a new relay for the seondary air injection pump AND a new secondary air injection pump for $1000. We bought our own part and relay and replaced it but the Check Engine Light is still on. I was wondering if we clear it and it comes back on, what can be wrong because the hose that attatches to the pump and the wiring both look good and the new pump is working. All associated fuses also test fine. Thanks

clearit
@69.118.94.x

clearit

Anon

depends on the dtc, best bet is always clear the codes...

relay AND pump? okay...

What could be the problem?

idk what is the code... could have nothing to do with anything your even touching.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

1 recommendation

bbear2 to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
Depending on the fault condition, some are averaged over time/miles. Hence driving it more after the fix could clear it; meaning just because the condition is fixed, if it is history based, it could take time or miles to clear. If this is the case, then clearing it manually could be a more acceptable situation for you if you can figure out how to get it cleared. Pulling the battery works too, but you'll also lose all the data, radio settings, etc. Might not be what you want.
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood

said by bbear2:

Depending on the fault condition, some are averaged over time/miles. Hence driving it more after the fix could clear it; meaning just because the condition is fixed, if it is history based, it could take time or miles to clear. If this is the case, then clearing it manually could be a more acceptable situation for you if you can figure out how to get it cleared. Pulling the battery works too, but you'll also lose all the data, radio settings, etc. Might not be what you want.

I have MYOBDDoctor software and an OBD via USB on my computer to clear and get codes, but forgot to bring it with me today when we changed the pump. I told them to drive it for a week, and if it does not go off I would try to clear it with my software and have them drive it again to get ready for the smog. Thanks for the advice.
billydunwood

billydunwood to clearit

to clearit
said by clearit :

idk what is the code... could have nothing to do with anything your even touching.

I brought it to a mechanic for a free inspection of the CEL and he said it needed the air pump and relay. Why would he tell me it needs to be replaced if it has nothing to do with the code(all this is in my original post)? P0410 is a Secondary Air Injection Malfunction

MooJohn
join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA

MooJohn to billydunwood

to billydunwood
It will need a few drive cycles to clear if the problem is indeed fixed. It shouldn't be too many though - just a few trips should clear it.

The forum at mbworld.org may be able to shed some insight on any Mercedes-specific fixes, especially when you're dealing with a car like the S55.
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood

said by MooJohn:

It will need a few drive cycles to clear if the problem is indeed fixed. It shouldn't be too many though - just a few trips should clear it.

The forum at mbworld.org may be able to shed some insight on any Mercedes-specific fixes, especially when you're dealing with a car like the S55.

I read that on a topic on the forum that it might need a couple drive cycles. Unfortunately I also read on one topic where a person said it was very easy to change the air pump on the S55, and it took us a long time and many screws and brackets to take off.

clearit
@69.118.94.x

clearit to billydunwood

Anon

to billydunwood
because the code does not = the repair... a code gives you a place to start, and for FREE I doubt this guy checked the operation of the relay / blower...

The only post I remember was "where is the relay" or something to that nature, anyone ever put POWER to this thing to see if it works?

Both the pump and relay being bad at the same time... meh...

I mean unless this guy was a good friend or something doing more than he should for free... I'd read the code, tell the person what the code means... and let them replace it themselves if they did not want to come back for proper diagnosis... have it not work and bring it back in for repair...
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood

said by clearit :

because the code does not = the repair... a code gives you a place to start, and for FREE I doubt this guy checked the operation of the relay / blower...

The only post I remember was "where is the relay" or something to that nature, anyone ever put POWER to this thing to see if it works?

Both the pump and relay being bad at the same time... meh...

I mean unless this guy was a good friend or something doing more than he should for free... I'd read the code, tell the person what the code means... and let them replace it themselves if they did not want to come back for proper diagnosis... have it not work and bring it back in for repair...

So then the flip side. If I had him repair what he said was wrong with it which was the pump and the relay, and it didn't fix it, then what?

clearit
@69.118.94.x

clearit

Anon

if the mechanic was good, he would have TESTED those things prior to replacement... if those were not bad, diagnosis, for that specific car, what I could not tell you. The problem was likely what you replaced... however I have seen cars with a SAI code, yet relay and pump were fine...

One of those things could have been bad, but before blindly changing parts (I have no idea if that is what you did, no testing) the parts should be TESTED...

Clear the code / wait for the CEL to go off... see what happens... hopefully it is fixed.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
Im guessing he would have did something like this.

Service Description:

"Performed Short-test, found codes P0410 and P0442. Checked Actual Values of Secondary Air Injection. Found that intermittently Secondary Air Values went out of spec. Inspected secondary air lines found check valve intermittently sticking. Replaced check valve. Checked actual values of evaporative system and found pressure would not hold. Connected smoke-machine to evaporative system to check for leaks. Found rubber connecting hose at rear of tank cracked. Repaired cracked line. Erased codes. Performed extended test drives, and all is functioning normally."

Read more: »mbworld.org/forums/e-cla ··· 8g4jKkMY
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood to clearit

to clearit
said by clearit :

if the mechanic was good, he would have TESTED those things prior to replacement... if those were not bad, diagnosis, for that specific car, what I could not tell you. The problem was likely what you replaced... however I have seen cars with a SAI code, yet relay and pump were fine...

One of those things could have been bad, but before blindly changing parts (I have no idea if that is what you did, no testing) the parts should be TESTED...

Clear the code / wait for the CEL to go off... see what happens... hopefully it is fixed.

After we took the Air Pump out of the car, we tested it to see if it worked and it did not turn on at all. It looked brand new inside the pump despite being the original one on the car. We heard the new one come on when the car started after replacing it.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to rody_44

MVM

to rody_44
The OP only stated there was an air injection DTC.