spc
Search similar:

uniqs
TommyAtkins
join:2014-07-27

TommyAtkins

[Cable] No connectivity after install

Good morning all,
I had a visit from a Rogers tech yesterday to activate my Teksavvy cable service. I'm in a largish apartment building (11 stories) in downtown Ottawa; the building is from the fifties but the cable wiring was replaced in the last couple years.
Before the tech left, the modem (DCM476 from Teksavvy) was lit up properly as if it was working; just after the tech left, though, the modem seemed to lose the signal and entered the following cycle:
DS blinking, US and Online off
DS solid, US blinking, Online off
DS and US solid, Online blinking

It has been stuck in this cycle for 24 hours and two uses of the reset switch.

On the Diagnostics page, when it is able to detect a signal, power numbers are only displayed for 1 channel on both paths; all the other channels are zeroed out. The power numbers for the first channels are within normal ranges, as confirmed over the phone with Teksavvy support.

Sometimes the error log is a constant stream of "SYNC timing synchronization failure - failed to acquire FEC" and "failed to acquire QAM". At other times, the modem is able to get as far as failing DHCP before it returns to trying to sync.

I have a ticket in for a service visit from Rogers sometime this week. In the meantime, does this sound like a shoddy component or a wiring issue? Thanks in advance for any light that can be shed on this.
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

Post in the TSI direct forum, your modem doesn't appear provisioned, or is a bad modem.

If it was an RF problem, you don't usually get past DS blinking.