talz13

fixing spring on double hung windows?

Click for full size
window id
Click for full size
detached spring
Click for full size
window
Several of the windows in our house have one or both of the springs in need of adjustment or repair. I've not been able to figure out how to reattach the spring or otherwise remove the sash from the track.

Or house was built in 1989 and the only marking I can find on the window is a number on the edge between the panes. It reads:

A27889X27BI

My first thought is that they may be Andersen windows judging by the 'A'.

Does anybody have an idea how I can reattach the spring on this window?

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Try pushing sideways on the tracks. I think one of them may push in letting you remove the sash.
ziuck
join:2001-01-11
Needham, IN

ziuck to talz13

to talz13
I think I have those same windows. A few of my spring catches have broken. My addition was done in 89-90. I have not had much luck finding replacement parts online. My latches have "Built-Best" labeled on them.

I also have a few of the same windows with a string going into some roller at the top.

To remove, slide the window open a few inches. Press onto the side of the jamb liner and pull the window towards you, now repeat for the bottom side.
talz13
join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

talz13

I'll give that a try when I get home... Since you've worked with these windows in the past, can you tell if the caatch looks like it is broken, or has just come loose from the window?

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

Grumpy4 to talz13

Premium Member

to talz13
Anderson door glass often has a tiny triangle etched into a corner of the glass to show window numbers and data. Perhaps their windows do too. Not sure. If yes on the triangle, an Anderson dealer should be able to find a factory rep to suggest method(s) of repair, hopefully.

I have an Anderson double door with in out & up down adjustable hinges. The rep stopped by and adjusted them for me, free of charge, when he was in the area.

Plowjockey
@66.72.210.x

Plowjockey

Anon

I've got Anderson windows and yes, they have the model etched on the glass also
talz13
Avon, OH

talz13 to ziuck

to ziuck
said by ziuck:

I think I have those same windows. A few of my spring catches have broken. My addition was done in 89-90. I have not had much luck finding replacement parts online. My latches have "Built-Best" labeled on them.

I also have a few of the same windows with a string going into some roller at the top.

To remove, slide the window open a few inches. Press onto the side of the jamb liner and pull the window towards you, now repeat for the bottom side.

Thanks for the info. I got the sash pulled out, and reattached the spring. The window now stays about where I put it instead of sliding down 3-4 inches after I let go.

Only problem is the jamb liner is so brittle, it split the lip that runs along the track. I've seen this on several of the other windows in the house, so I guess it's not a huge deal, but whattayagonnado?
ziuck
Needham, IN

ziuck

I have a few that are split too. The catch is broken where it hooks on the window on some of mine. This place seems to have replacement liners but I'm not 100% certain on them yet. »www.biltbestreplacementp ··· 447.aspx
talz13
Avon, OH

talz13

said by ziuck:

I have a few that are split too. The catch is broken where it hooks on the window on some of mine. This place seems to have replacement liners but I'm not 100% certain on them yet. »www.biltbestreplacementparts.com···447.aspx

Cool, you helped me figure out what windows I have!

Now, on this same window, the top sash is kind of loose, when I unlock the window, it falls a couple inches and will not stay at the top on its own. Have you any experience with that? Maybe the spring needs to be adjusted? Is that possible? or does it need to be replaced?
ziuck
Needham, IN

ziuck

haha.. I have the same issue on one of my living room windows. It drops just enough not to latch when I open it. Not sure if it's the spring or a stretched out jamb liner.

On some of my windows the top sash also has springs. Some others it's held up by some type of cord and tension mechanism. There is also a 3rd type with a spiral spring of some sort. Crazy they are all different.