All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

nakedland
join:2002-05-18
Puyallup, WA

nakedland

[Install] Questions to ask Installer when he comes?

The day the installer comes to hook us up for the first time with Comcast, what are questions we should ask him before he leaves and/or what should we have him check after he is done installing?

Thank you

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

He should run a speed test and show you it happening. Showing you what the signal levels are wouldn't be a bad idea, but they would be available to you at any time. I would write them down as your baseline in case the quality of the connection changes for the worse.

nakedland
Puyallup, WA

nakedland

said by graysonf:

He should run a speed test and show you it happening. Showing you what the signal levels are wouldn't be a bad idea, but they would be available to you at any time. I would write them down as your baseline in case the quality of the connection changes for the worse.

Thank you very much.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

graysonf

MVM

Yer welcome. The general idea is to not let him leave if there are problems as it can take days to get them to comeback.

You were wise to ask this question.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx

FureverFurry to nakedland

Premium Member

to nakedland
If you have your own modem, be sure the installer knows it is CUSTOMER-owned. Also, save your receipt.

Even though you're posting here on HSI, if you are also having cable TV installed, be sure your box works before the tech leaves.)

beerbum
Premium Member
join:2000-05-06
behind you..
Motorola MB8600
ARRIS TG862
Asus RT-AC5300

beerbum

Premium Member

said by FureverFurry:

Even though you're posting here on HSI, if you are also having cable TV installed, be sure your box works before the tech leaves.)

that's not automatic any more? when I worked for Comcast (in-house and contract), every box was verified to work including On-demand/HD/DVR.. same with modems, voice and data.. modems we'd (or at least I would) run several tests, speed included.. and with phone service testing incoming and outgoing calls worked.

I know most everything is automated now. Still, no tech should leave without making sure every device installed is functioning fully.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

said by beerbum:

still no tech should leave without making sure every device installed is functioning fully.

you would think, wouldn't you? i've been at installs where the tech said he had to leave because he had another appointment, but assured us that "our modem should work just fine"

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry to beerbum

Premium Member

to beerbum
said by beerbum:

I know most everything is automated now. Still, no tech should leave without making sure every device installed is functioning fully.

Sadly, that's not always the case or it sure wasn't 2 years ago. Sub-contractor saw the lights flash, said something like "uhhh, it'll work in 24 hours, maybe sooner" and LEFT. Needless to say, nothing did. (Same guy moaned about having to go into the attic; moaned about climbing the pole ... you get the drift.) Hopefully, he was just a one-off.

nakedland
Puyallup, WA

nakedland

Thanks all. Your great
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44 to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
He is talking about cable tv boxes and modems. Im not sure if its still in effect but every box a tech installed had to Run the help and services of VOD on every box in the house. Comcast kept track of it by box. It was comcasts way of assuring every box worked before the tech left. Modems had a special speed test that the tech was required to run But only on that flavor of a modem install. Not all modem installs are full professional modem installs. Comcast generated monthly reports on who was conforming to the standards. You either conformed or they left you go. They abandoned it tho judging by the installs i have seen.