(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

1 recommendation

shdesigns

Premium Member

[Plumbing] 15-minute job......

Click for full size
Click for full size
Pressure regulator is not closing completely, so when no water is in use, the pressure creeps up to 140PSI or more.

So, simple job, buy the same reg, unscrew old and put in new. Should be simple....

Turn off PVC main shutoff ball valve and it cracks. 140PSI water shooting everywhere. Run out to street and cut off water there. No way I.m replacing it with another. So off to HomerD to get brass ball valve, union and fittings.

Cut PVC and want to replace all up to where it changes to copper. Cut open chase in wall to find a buried cutoff for the spigot. Spigot is also before the pressure regulator. Left as is as I have another after the regulator I use most often.

Sweat new fittings and dig through box to find my PVC glue and cleaner. New pipe ends up 1/4" short, unsolder and end up getting solder on one of the NPT threads. Too late to get another so need to wait until morning.

Next day, pick up new 3/4" female NPT fitting, make assembly and it fits perfect.

On to the pressure valve. I was wrong, took less than 10 minutes. I cut away the ceiling to expose the regulator and find the original main cutoff valve buried. I knew it was there but put in the PVC one as no way I was going to have my EX climb a ladder and reach down a deep, cobweb filled hole if she needed to shut off the water.

So new works and now have 4 shutoff valves in a row. I had added one on each side of the water filter.

Quick job took 24 hours. At least the toilets are no longer overflowing and the water heater T&P valve not dripping.

Picked up a pressure gauge while I was at it. 140PSI seem normal and I did see it get a bit over 150. After the reg a solid 65PSI.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

7 recommendations

nunya

MVM

Sounds like my house. In order to change a switch plate you have to put on a new roof.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

7 recommendations

LazMan to shdesigns

Premium Member

to shdesigns
It's in the rules...

No plumbing task, no matter how minor, or well planned out, can be completed with less then 3 trips to the hardware store.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns

Premium Member

I have done it in 1 trip; only because I usually get more than I need and built up stock.

You should see some of the other boneheaded things in this house. One outlet per wall, no tarpaper on roof, not one door level, hitting studs with nails apparently was optional. Oh, and not a single phone, or cable wire anywhere.

If I ever met the builder, I'd probably bitch-slap him.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF to LazMan

MVM

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

No plumbing task, no matter how minor, or well planned out, can be completed with less then 3 trips to the hardware store.

Can confirm.

Source: I work in a hardware store.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to shdesigns

to shdesigns
"If I ever met the builder,"

My dad was a large General Contractor. It's not the builder it's the anal architect and engineers that never leave the office.
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee

said by battleop:

"If I ever met the builder,"

My dad was a large General Contractor. It's not the builder it's the anal architect and engineers that never leave the office.

So the GC has no pride in their work? They jump hoops without questioning anything? Everyone in the process is to blame!

battleop

battleop

You can have all the pride in the world but when the initial design is flawed and the architect thinks they can't be wrong there isn't much you can do. You have to build it to their specs or you don't get paid. It's the anal ones that creat problems.

I once saw a drawing where the door knob was drawn on the hinge side of the door. It was an obvious mistake by a drafter but it took days of faxes and change orders to correct it because the architect was so anal.

It wasn't like this with everyone but it also was not rare either.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by battleop:

You can have all the pride in the world but when the initial design is flawed and the architect thinks they can't be wrong there isn't much you can do. You have to build it to their specs or you don't get paid. It's the anal ones that creat problems.

You are certainly right about that in some cases but many of the things he cited were definitely contract issues. Things like nails not hitting studs, doors out of plumb, etc. are definitely contract issues. The tarpaper also was most likely also a contract issue. The lack of cable and telephone wiring were more than likely missing for me specifications given to the architect.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns

Premium Member

From what a neighbor said, these 3 houses were all one builder. Very similar and sloppily done. On mine the 2nd story cantilever is done poorly and no way any architect would have specified it that way.

I doubt there was an architect involved. Probably some cookie-cutter plans he modified as per the terrain (one house has crawl space as there is less slope in the land for half basement.)

battleop

battleop to Msradell

to Msradell
That sounds more like a design build where the contractor and the designer are one and the same. When architects and engineers are part of the job there is usually someone from the GC and someone representing the owner that's doing quality control.
seederjed
Premium Member
join:2005-02-28
Norcross, GA

seederjed to shdesigns

Premium Member

to shdesigns
I lived not far from the OP and had no tarpaper on the roof on my home built in '93.
The roofer said this was a common practice for a long time.
Instead of plywood or osb on the exterior wall they used some sort of sound deadening black board.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
Nails not installed correctly and doors not level are not the faults of architects or engineers. The rest is ridiculous cost cutting to make maximum profit under the influence of short term thinking developers. The engineers and architects know better, but the developers often can legally get away with not building a proper product. The amount of rework due to initially bad electrical and plumbing work in central Georgia is very large. Almost all large exterior illuminated signs have to have electrical rework when the illumination fails within 90 days of installation. The same is true for many flood light installations at commercial establishments. Initial plumbing work is terrible. Enormous amounts of rework to get toilets working correctly. $200,000+ homes with toilets that can only use small amounts of the easily disintegrating single ply toilet paper or clogging results. No multiple ply Charmin Plushness for you until you pay to redo the plumbing system. Home owner warranties are not honored much around here. There seems to always be a way to blame the home owner, and not honor the claim.

shdesigns