spc
Search similar:

uniqs
sparks
join:2001-07-08
Little Rock, AR

sparks

Thinking of changing from dsl to U-Verse Internet

I am finally giving up on dsl, slow and every night between 6:00 - 6:30 PM I get disconnected. All the lights are on but no connection. I have to reset the modem.
also at night my connection becomes slow and pings double.
I wanted to ask users here if U-Verse would change this. They have put in new lines and I guess new eq and are bugging me every day to change. Since 6mb is $51 a month I am looking for something.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

Both services are provided over the same copper lines. They just each use a different head end termination point (DSL = Remote Terminal, U-verse = VRAD). The majority of issues are related to the quality of your inside wiring or the copper to your RT or VRAD. Regardless, you are having issues with legacy DSL and AT&T wants to get all customers off of it so they can so they can shut it down. If your VRAD sits right next to your RT, I would recommend converting. If your VRAD is in the CO, you will likely go from a bad situation to worse due to distance. If I were you I would talk to one of the @ATTCustomerCare reps and see if you can determine that info. Tell them you might be interested in switching but you want to know how far you are from your VRAD compared to the RT. If the distance of the VRAD is further and 5000 feet+ that is much more ripe for issues and will really limit how much bandwidth you will qualify for no matter what their marketing tells you.

There is a very slim chance if you converted you would move from copper to fiber. In that case, do not hesitate. However, most customers that have access to fiber would already know about it because they would have seen and heard about AT&T burying fiber.
mdv921
join:2008-06-26

1 recommendation

mdv921 to sparks

to sparks
I can't tell you if upgrading to Uverse will help your connection problems. But, if you upgrade to Uverse you'll probably get the promotional rate. If you have other AT&T services you'd get it for $34.95/mo for 1 year (of $41.00/mo with no other services on the account). Plus, if you get the same deal they just gave me you'll also get a $100.00 gift (Visa debit) card after 30 days of Uverse service.

Also, strangely enough when I got my first Uverse bill AT&T had credited me $100.00 for the price of the Uverse modem (they didn't credit the taxes however). When I asked why this had been done I was told "someone decided to issue the credit". Case closed, and I didn't ask any more questions for fear of jooging the deal.
sparks
Little Rock, AR

sparks

thanks for the information.
I have cat5 running from the outside box to the wall outlet.
I called and got some very weird information yesterday.
WHY YES we can upgrade you.
How Much, ok I heard about u-verse tv.
No all I want is internet.
Well its cheaper when you get tv.
I don't want tv JUST INTERNET.
ok its $37.95 for the first year, then it goes to regular price.
how much is regular price.
we don't know.
HUH
well we don't know about next years rates.
ok how much is regular price now.
it depends.
I wanted to scream "MY GOD can you just answer the question" but I didn't
and the modem and router is $7.95 a month
I don't want a router just a modem.
you can't get that, and you would be giving up on the U-Verse expandability and the U-Verse experience.
Ok thanks anyway.

bye

overall they need to just answer the question not evade them.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by sparks:

thanks for the information.
I have cat5 running from the outside box to the wall outlet.
I called and got some very weird information yesterday.
WHY YES we can upgrade you.
How Much, ok I heard about u-verse tv.
No all I want is internet.
Well its cheaper when you get tv.
I don't want tv JUST INTERNET.
ok its $37.95 for the first year, then it goes to regular price.
how much is regular price.
we don't know.
HUH
well we don't know about next years rates.
ok how much is regular price now.
it depends.
I wanted to scream "MY GOD can you just answer the question" but I didn't
and the modem and router is $7.95 a month
I don't want a router just a modem.
you can't get that, and you would be giving up on the U-Verse expandability and the U-Verse experience.
Ok thanks anyway.

bye

overall they need to just answer the question not evade them.

Just sign up on the website

my thoughts
@24.209.161.x

my thoughts to sparks

Anon

to sparks
»www.att.com/u-verse/shop ··· g8BYK0xr

On left side choose Build Your Own
Enter address info...
Will get a screen with current list prices of what is available.
Choose option, upper right will show normal rate, discount, net promotion.

Currently believe internet only plans have a $16.05 discount for 12 months.

Additional will either need to purchase the Residential Gateway (RG) for $100.
Or if need bonded install or order IPTV with internet have $7 per month lease fee.
Must use Uverse RG for connection, may set your own behind RG in DMZ or IP pass through.

If choose a plan over Max (12M), requires a Full Tech Install ($99)
Example 18M Max Plus as single pair install... Would be $199.
Most of the offers come with a $100 Visa card to offset RG price....
Rewards card requires 30 days of service, then go to reward site to redeem, card sent 4-6 weeks after redemption.
Or about 2.5 months after install.
May ask for RG to be in 3 payments... Saves on initial big bill.

First bill is prorated of current cycle plus next full month... Always billed in advance of service.
Based on example... 2 weeks into cycle...
Max Plus list $61... Net $44.95 prorated about 22.48+44.95+100(rg)+99(fti)= 266.43 plus taxes
mdv921
join:2008-06-26

mdv921 to sparks

to sparks
The highest Uverse speed I can get right now is 6mb. AT&T told me that the current regular price for that level service is $51.00/mo which is $3.00/mo cheaper than 6mb DSL service.

Anonnn
@144.160.5.x

Anonnn

Anon

If the salesperson said you can get TV that would mean you are close enough to a VRAD. But if the highest speed you can get is 6meg that would mean it is IPDSL and you cannot get TV...in which case you would be using the same copper as your existing Internet unless you have IRADs in the area.

Freon
@99.43.236.x

Freon to sparks

Anon

to sparks
Had a similar problem a while back. Tech came out and said i had a tap on the line causing the dropped signal. Basically when the signal went out it leaked into a different route and would get lost. He came by and fixed it and never had a disconnect afterwards. I play a lot online so ping is crucial. Was on 6MBPS as that was the fastest i could get at the time, but am currently on 18MBPS Uverse and "knock on wood" everything is working smooth. Downloads and ping have improved exponentially. I believe i have double bonded pair in order to surf at that speed, so you may want to look into that when you speak with them.
sparks
Little Rock, AR

sparks

I finally got the info.
Your Bundle at a Glance
View Cart Details Save Cart
AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet Max Plus $61.00 $16.05 off for 12 months with 1 year term -$16.05 Total Bundle Price $44.95
Total Additional Monthly Charges $0.00 Cart details

Total Monthly Price* $44.95
Total One-Time Charges $199.00 Cart details

Your Rewards
Receive a $50 Reward Card for ordering online today $50.00 Learn more See offer details
Total Rewards $50.00
=======================================================
this is complete and click to order thing.

The modem the rep said was when you bundle with tv and its $7 a month.
the other says one time fee. I can't find out if this is in the total one time charges or not.

I will go over and ask the ATTCustomerCare reps to see what my distance and line quality looks like, I also have a few other questions to ask them before switching.
I used to play a lot of online games and I am sure I will miss the low pings to the servers.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by sparks:

I finally got the info.
Your Bundle at a Glance
View Cart Details Save Cart
AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet Max Plus $61.00 $16.05 off for 12 months with 1 year term -$16.05 Total Bundle Price $44.95
Total Additional Monthly Charges $0.00 Cart details

Total Monthly Price* $44.95
Total One-Time Charges $199.00 Cart details

Your Rewards
Receive a $50 Reward Card for ordering online today $50.00 Learn more See offer details
Total Rewards $50.00
=======================================================
this is complete and click to order thing.

The modem the rep said was when you bundle with tv and its $7 a month.
the other says one time fee. I can't find out if this is in the total one time charges or not.

I will go over and ask the ATTCustomerCare reps to see what my distance and line quality looks like, I also have a few other questions to ask them before switching.
I used to play a lot of online games and I am sure I will miss the low pings to the servers.

Yes, since you're cart has you ordering just internet and it says a total charge of $199 then that includes the $100 gateway purchase fee. The other part is the install fee($99). If you ordered TV with it, then you would have to rent the gateway instead for $7 a month and the install fee would be waived if ordering packages above U-basic. Plus, you get more reward cards and a better internet price if you bundle with TV.
Darknessfall

2 edits

Darknessfall to sparks

Premium Member

to sparks
Figure I'll add this in from another thread I posted in:
said by Darknessfall:

The lowest possible prices nationwide currently for each tier are as follows(not including rental fees):

(Internet + Phone Bundle/12 month promo)
- Power = $29.95( add $7 for Power's rental)
- Max Turbo = $29.95
- Max Plus = $19.95
- Max = $19.95
- Elite = $14.95
- Pro = $14.95
(Internet + Phone + TV/24 month promo - look to above's prices if U-basic is chosen - Add $7 for rental)
- Power = $29.95
- Max Turbo = $29.95
- Max Plus = $19.95
- Max = $19.95
- Elite = $35
- Pro = $30
(Internet Only/12 month promo)
- Power = $64.95( add $7 for Power's rental)
- Max Turbo = $54.95
- Max Plus = $44.95
- Max = $39.95
- Elite = $34.95
- Pro = $29.95
(Internet Any Combo/No promo - subtract $5 if bundled - add $7 if TV and/or Power is chosen)
- Power = $81
- Max Turbo = $71
- Max Plus = $61
- Max = $56
- Elite = $51
- Pro = $46

Here's another section I forgot:
(TV + Internet Bundle/12 month promo - add $7 for rental)
- Power = $29.95
- Max Turbo = $29.95
- Max Plus = $19.95
- Max = $19.95
- Elite = $14.95
- Pro = $30