spc
Search similar:

uniqs

dsoegiarto
join:2010-04-16
Ottawa, ON

dsoegiarto

Orleans, Ontario Service Area

So I moved to Orleans this past week, around Innes and Tenth Line; which is a major area with lotsa developed buildings, houses, shopping centres, etc...

But all I can get at my home is 7Mb DSL. No cable. No faster DSL. Nothing.

LOL?

Why? Any plan for this area?

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

Hi there,

Sorry to here about the limited service offerings. Unfortunately we don't control availability of services or speeds. We also have no advanced notice as to what areas get developed next.

Hopefully someone with this type of knowledge can share info with you.

Andre

dsoegiarto
Ottawa, ON

dsoegiarto

awww shucks. Thanks for the update regardless.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

No worries. If you PM me your full address I can double check what our DSL portal says to see if its changed somehow.

Edit: Found your account. Let me check.

dsoegiarto
Ottawa, ON

dsoegiarto

said by TSI Andre:

No worries. If you PM me your full address I can double check what our DSL portal says to see if its changed somehow.

Edit: Found your account. Let me check.

Kinda scary you can do that, but then again, my last name isn't exactly... common.... lol

Thanks but I just got my answer few days ago. Doubt anything changed since then.

I'll take anything better than 7 though. For any (reasonable) money. Coming from 15 here lol... and I had 25 with Rogers before and 16/16 with other ISP in the past.... going 7/1 seems a bit.... first world problem.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

Yeah nothing different showing here. Shows sync rate available 7/1.2. That is pretty strange. Nothing for cable either.

Hopefully someone with insider info for that area can chime in.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to dsoegiarto

Mod

to dsoegiarto
There should be cable service in the area, as it's not new-build territory (that's further east along Innes, past Trim Rd). Orleans is a bit of a patchwork quilt as far as availability of higher DSL speeds.....at least, from what people I know who live in Orleans tell me.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to TSI Andre

to TSI Andre
The exact area you are describing (avalon development) is experiencing a shortage of available 7330 ports. We are currently doing expansion. But the entire area is capable of 25 meg service. Unless you are on the west side of tenth line, there is a ongoing dispute with the developer and it wont be serviced for anything faster.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to dsoegiarto

to dsoegiarto
pretty much all of Orleans will have Rogers, but the newer stuff has FTTH and will only offer service directly from Bell or Rogers. as mentioned above the Avalon area doesn't have any Bell stuff.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

MacGyver to btech805

to btech805
said by btech805:

Unless you are on the west side of tenth line, there is a ongoing dispute with the developer and it wont be serviced for anything faster.

Just to clarify, I believe you mean the development west of Tenth Line and South of Innes. Everything northwest of Tenth Line and Innes is 20+ years old.

Lothario
join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON

Lothario to dsoegiarto

to dsoegiarto
Weird, I have cable but no Bell lines.

dsoegiarto
Ottawa, ON

dsoegiarto to btech805

to btech805
said by btech805:

The exact area you are describing (avalon development) is experiencing a shortage of available 7330 ports. We are currently doing expansion. But the entire area is capable of 25 meg service. Unless you are on the west side of tenth line, there is a ongoing dispute with the developer and it wont be serviced for anything faster.

Good to know. My development is at Dorima Street, which is 1 block east of Tenth line, on Innes.

So it's not west side, and not quite avalon either.
dsoegiarto

dsoegiarto to MacGyver

to MacGyver
said by MacGyver:

said by btech805:

Unless you are on the west side of tenth line, there is a ongoing dispute with the developer and it wont be serviced for anything faster.

Just to clarify, I believe you mean the development west of Tenth Line and South of Innes. Everything northwest of Tenth Line and Innes is 20+ years old.

...and west of Tenth and South of Innes are pretty much all shopping centres...?
dsoegiarto

dsoegiarto to Kardinal

to Kardinal
said by Kardinal:

There should be cable service in the area, as it's not new-build territory (that's further east along Innes, past Trim Rd). Orleans is a bit of a patchwork quilt as far as availability of higher DSL speeds.....at least, from what people I know who live in Orleans tell me.

No cable. Not even Rogers.

Hey, Andre, wonder if TSI have a service where existing users get notified when new (faster) service is available?

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver to dsoegiarto

to dsoegiarto
There is a new residential development between Vantage and Brian Coburn on the west side of Tenth Line. Chaperal by Tamarack. Avalon on the east of Tenth Line was developed by Minto AFAIK.

dsoegiarto
Ottawa, ON

dsoegiarto

said by MacGyver:

There is a new residential development between Vantage and Brian Coburn on the west side of Tenth Line. Chaperal by Tamarack. Avalon on the east of Tenth Line was developed by Minto AFAIK.

that's right, it's Minto.

But I'm with Dorima built by Longwood. Before Avalon coming from 10th line.

Guess I'll just have to check every other month if they have a better service.

Even going Bell.ca they only have Fibe5 service LOL
mikee
join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON

mikee to dsoegiarto

to dsoegiarto
i live in orleans i can get everything except fiber (250/250 etc) sucks that you cant get anything good
btech805
Canada

btech805 to dsoegiarto

to dsoegiarto
Ahh Dorima, you'll have to wait until the condos at the end of your street are built

The new side of avalon I was speaking of (south of inness, west of tenth line) is the one at the centre of the dispute.

Nearly everywhere else in orleans has at least FTTN, however Dorima has a very small potential for ROI, and that is really the only reason Nothing has been done. Like I said, wait until the condos are finished maybe it might happen, as there will be more potential subscribers there, however don't hold your breath.

dsoegiarto
Ottawa, ON

dsoegiarto

said by btech805:

Ahh Dorima, you'll have to wait until the condos at the end of your street are built

The new side of avalon I was speaking of (south of inness, west of tenth line) is the one at the centre of the dispute.

Nearly everywhere else in orleans has at least FTTN, however Dorima has a very small potential for ROI, and that is really the only reason Nothing has been done. Like I said, wait until the condos are finished maybe it might happen, as there will be more potential subscribers there, however don't hold your breath.

I'm *AT* the condo at the end of the street lol.... I'm in one of the 2 finished building. Waiting for the 3rd one by end of year....
da_guy2
join:2003-06-10
Kanata, ON

da_guy2 to dsoegiarto

to dsoegiarto
According to the rogers website they have service on your street. You sure you can't get rogers?
btech805
Canada

btech805 to dsoegiarto

to dsoegiarto
If you're in that building rogers is available...

TSI TNC
TSI TNC
Premium Member
join:2012-10-23
Chatham, ON

TSI TNC to dsoegiarto

Premium Member

to dsoegiarto
Hi dsoegiarto,

I checked your postal code on the vendor site, based on btech805's comment, and it confirmed cable service "should" be available (with a stipulation that it depends on the specific address), whereas our site indeed gives a flat out "no!". I can get them to do an address verification to confirm if we can service your area.

If you can open up a thread in the Direct Forum just to verify the account info, I'd be happy to get this looked into. Of course, this is if you're even interested in switching to cable!

Thanks,
Dereck
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to btech805

Premium Member

to btech805
said by btech805:

...... there is a ongoing dispute with the developer and it wont be serviced for anything faster.

Care to elaborate?

dsoegiarto
Ottawa, ON

dsoegiarto to TSI TNC

to TSI TNC
said by btech805:

If you're in that building rogers is available...

Yes. I just checked. Rogers cable is available.... for an arm and leg and my first born child for THEIR LOWEST TIER CABLE. Jeezus freakin Christ. They can suck it.
said by TSI TNC:

Hi dsoegiarto,

I checked your postal code on the vendor site, based on btech805's comment, and it confirmed cable service "should" be available (with a stipulation that it depends on the specific address), whereas our site indeed gives a flat out "no!". I can get them to do an address verification to confirm if we can service your area.

If you can open up a thread in the Direct Forum just to verify the account info, I'd be happy to get this looked into. Of course, this is if you're even interested in switching to cable!

Thanks,
Dereck

I'm up for it, yes. I can create a new thread for new services availability, and I'm OK with cable. But I'm *not* OK with low tier services... not bothering to switch if all I can squeeze is a mere few megabytes/sec....

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Low tier services probably means Hybrid fibre services ... i.e. up to 250 Mbps! High tier service is Ulitimate fibre service.

Now it may be that your specific area may be limited to speeds packages below 75 Mbps (actual package speeds depend on the particular provider) because they haven't upgraded the cable plant yet for 150 and 250 Mbps ... and haven't installed Ultimate Fibre in the neighbourhood.

You're not talking a few Mbps difference in speeds here! It would be amazing if you're limited to 10 Mbps ... they wouldn't sell cable internet in your area if that were the case!

On Teksavvy that would mean you'd probably have access to 10, 30 or 60 and 150 maybe.

dsoegiarto
Ottawa, ON

dsoegiarto

said by sbrook:

Low tier services probably means Hybrid fibre services ... i.e. up to 250 Mbps! High tier service is Ulitimate fibre service.

Now it may be that your specific area may be limited to speeds packages below 75 Mbps (actual package speeds depend on the particular provider) because they haven't upgraded the cable plant yet for 150 and 250 Mbps ... and haven't installed Ultimate Fibre in the neighbourhood.

You're not talking a few Mbps difference in speeds here! It would be amazing if you're limited to 10 Mbps ... they wouldn't sell cable internet in your area if that were the case!

On Teksavvy that would mean you'd probably have access to 10, 30 or 60 and 150 maybe.

I chat with Rogers' online help yesterday and they confirmed the only thing my specific address will get is 10Gb hybrid service for $52/month for 25Gb.

TWENTY FIVE GB.

The next one is $60+ for 75GB.

I can blow through that in 2 days if I wanted to.

And no, I'm not paying $25 just to get unlimited.

Rogers' prices is a scam.

Look at TSI's prices. I paid under $50 for 15MB and 300GB with unlimited during the night.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook to dsoegiarto

Mod

to dsoegiarto
That's astonishingly weird for Rogers to limit speed that much They normally don't provide service at all if they can't offer close to the full speed service. I can only presume that it's connected to a D1.1 CMTS!

dsoegiarto
Ottawa, ON

dsoegiarto

Good news! TSI just confirmed I got access to TSI cable!

Will be ditching my 7Mbps DSL and grabbing the Cable 30 option.

/excited

/readaboutmodempriceandactivationfee

/notsoexcited.... :P

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Somebody at Rogers didn't have their head screwed on when they told you "only 10 Mbps". Data on DOCSIS cable is transmitted at a rate of 42.88 Mbps per channel regardless of the speed of your line.

dsoegiarto
Ottawa, ON

dsoegiarto

Yup. I know. Not surprised with Rogers though.

Still shaking my head at the prices they charge.