Search similar:

uniqs

Bry
join:2008-12-31
Canada

Bry to robman50

to robman50

Re: [INTERNET] SMTP Authentication!

And you can keep doing so without change, this is related to accessing Cogeco mail using the POP3/IMAP protocols, i.e: with Desktop or mobile email clients. What changed back in July was the ability to authenticate with SMTP using a username and password, allowing you to send mail from an @cogeco.ca address from anywhere. I believe they simultaneously enabled encryption (SMTPS/IMAPS).

Even if you're only using Thunderbird and "Windows Live Mail" (outlook?) on Cogeco's network, it's obviously still a good idea to update your clients settings..

Cogeco_Peter
join:2012-10-03
Burlington, ON

Cogeco_Peter to robman50

to robman50
said by robman50:

So can I do this on my home, Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail clients also for POP3/SMTP?

Sorry for the delay. Bry's answers above are correct.

Thanks,
Peter!
Dingaan
join:2002-02-19
Bath, ON

Dingaan to Cogeco_Aaron

to Cogeco_Aaron
Last night, I configured a new computer for my elderly neighbor. In Windows Live Mail, I set up his Cogeco mail account using IMAP.

In testing the setup, I notice that every so often, a pop up message appears saying that we have lost connection with IMAP server. This must just be for a very short period, because WLM seems to continue working. He has an ethernet connection (not wifi)

We never saw anything like that using the POP servers.

The other question was regarding IMAP and server storage space. My neighbor seems to collect thousands of emails, many unread. With IMAP, presumably these messages stay on servers unless user empties deleted of junk folders. No option as before to remove from server when downloaded. If above is correct, how much storage does each person get on IMAP servers?

Bry
Canada

Bry

IMAP is little different from POP3 as clients typically remain connected, of course, you can retrieve mail using IMAP as well.. but that's generally not how most people configure their clients.

Advance options might allow you to configure settings like timeout delays, but the server side also has their own values.

The storage per account is the same irregardless of how you access your account (POP/IMAP/Webmail), it is currently 1GB (1024MB). It should be possible to move mail to the Trash folder to delete it.
jpaik
join:2002-01-09
Hamilton, ON

jpaik

said by Bry:

IMAP is little different from POP3 as clients typically remain connected, of course, you can retrieve mail using IMAP as well.. but that's generally not how most people configure their clients...

I'm not understanding what you're trying to say here. IMAP is a big improvement over POP. Client-side software is easily configured for IMAP.

Bry
Canada

Bry

I meant you can use IMAP similarly to POP3 and retrieve all your messages, instead of remaining connected.
Dingaan
join:2002-02-19
Bath, ON

Dingaan to Bry

to Bry
said by Bry:

IMAP is little different from POP3 as clients typically remain connected, of course, you can retrieve mail using IMAP as well.. but that's generally not how most people configure their clients.

How do most people configure their clients? Wouldn't most people simply configure according to the method on Cogeco's website? Then open your email client, download and send messages. When done either leave client on or shut it down. On phones & tablets, perhaps more likely they stay connected. But that is not part of configuration in my experience.
said by Bry:

The storage per account is the same irregardless of how you access your account (POP/IMAP/Webmail), it is currently 1GB (1024MB). It should be possible to move mail to the Trash folder to delete it.

Because IMAP leaves email on the server, and many users are very lax at deleting old mail it would seem that that 1Gb would soon get full. By the way, deleting may not be enough. I think you have to empty the deleted folder. Something many are probably even less likely to do.

Does Cogeco cull early messages if user goes beyond the 1Gb?
Dingaan

Dingaan

said by Dingaan:

In testing the setup, I notice that every so often, a pop up message appears saying that we have lost connection with IMAP server,. This must just be for a very short period, because WLM seems to continue working. He has an ethernet connection (not wifi)

Neighbor complained today that he keeps seeing this message. I do too occasionally, but on his computer it happens all the time.

I tried to switch him back to POP, but it seemed I could not do that without deleting the IMAP account and starting afresh?

For now, I have left it as is and suggested he start culling his mass of emails.

Do you think the large number of emails exacerbates the problem?
And will going back to POP3 help?
averagecdn
join:2005-03-14
Windsor, ON

averagecdn to Cogeco_Aaron

to Cogeco_Aaron
Wow finally, its only take 15 years.