spc
Search similar:

uniqs

TheWzrd1
join:2014-07-28
Bronx, NY

TheWzrd1

[Modem/Router] Transparent Bridge help with Actiontech GT784WNV

So I recently became a Verizon customer 2 days ago prior to this post and they gave me this Modem/Router(Actiontech GT784WNV) and I want to use my Netgear WNR2000v3 on it but I don't really know much about bridging and when I attempt to do it my connection becomes limited. I wish I would have received a modem only. Will bridging to a different router lower ping? I miss playing online games on my computer with no lag.

rollinraver
join:2002-04-27
Buffalo, NY

1 recommendation

rollinraver

If you decide to put the Act in bridge mode, your router needs to be able to handle the pppoe session. Some routers do not. What seems to be the issue most people encounter is the you need to disable the wireless radio BEFORE putting it into bridge. Even tho bridge mode itself will TECHNICALLY disable the wireless, it's a glitch with the 784 where really only the wireless light goes out. If your router can handle the pppoe setting for the wan, try disabling the wifi on the 784, then putting it into bridge mode.

One other thing, the pppoe vpi/vci setting should be 0/35 for VZ. Some routers are defaulted to something else. Good luck!

TheWzrd1
join:2014-07-28
Bronx, NY

TheWzrd1

I'll try turning off the wireless radio then bridging. Should my router pick up my pppoe or do I manually have to go into the settings of my router and login? I'm having trouble understanding "the pppoe vpi/vci setting should be 0/35 for VZ.".

fess
Central Pa
join:2003-10-17
Williamsport, PA

1 recommendation

fess

You will need to configure your netgear router with the pppoe settings. When you put the modem in Bridge mode, all it does is negotiate the DSL connection. The pppoe session portion will be handled by the router. You will need to set your pppoe username & password as well as the vpi/vci settings as rollinraver mentioned above. Also don't forget about DHCP settings, Firewall and NAT configuration on the router.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

2 recommendations

Smith6612 to rollinraver

MVM

to rollinraver
I wonder if that Wireless bug is the same issue I see causing the 100% memory usage on the ActionTecs. That is caused by a memory leak from the WLAN Daemon and DHCP Daemon leaking in tandem.

fess
Central Pa
join:2003-10-17
Williamsport, PA

fess

Yeah I found that too. I put my GT784WNV in the closet and went back to my trusty Motorola. The GT784WNV was just too flaky not to mention my margins are much better with the Motorola.