spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

elaine

@50.135.109.x

[Audio] Audio cuts out of HD On Demand

While watching on demand movies on xfinity the sound cuts out, getting progressively worse until it is unwatchable. It starts out ok for about 1/2 hour, then sound will cut out for a second, then again in 5 minutes, and over the course of the next 1/2 hour it gets progressively more frequent until there is mostly no sound. I have tried xfinity chat support and it doesn't work! I can't type in the chat window and it keeps saying I have left the room when I haven't.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

[Audio] Re: Audio cuts out of HD On Demand

x1?

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to elaine

Do you usually watch Xfinity on Demand at night?

If so, it could be that as the outside temperature drops, that your received signal levels and/or SNR are also dropping, resulting in the audio dropouts getting progressively worse.

While tuned to the XoD channel, you can check the "RF STATISTICS" diagnostic screen on the STB that shows the current signal levels, SNR and error counts. See: »[Comcast Equip] Sound Dropping Out

The problem may also affect the levels into your cable modem, resulting in the loss of connectivity with the Xfinity chat session, resulting in those "you have left the room" indications.

Please then, provide also the modem's signal and SNR readings, plus any error logs: »Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »Viewing the Modem's Signal Levels, Firmware Version & Log Entries

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

Normally, cooler temps result in better signals, not worse.

wolf

@74.121.100.x

What about sun spots? I'm pretty sure that's the cause of my audio dropping back to Stereo every night.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to andyross

said by andyross:

Normally, cooler temps result in better signals, not worse.

Yes, that's usually the case, but there may be a piece of line equipment that happens to work oppositely.

The other possibility may be a prime time (7PM to 11PM) node congestion issue.

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL

It's not clear if this is OnDemand on a cable box, or on a computer/tablet/whatever.

OnDemand on a cable box is just a standard QAM video channel. It's several frequencies set aside and the OnDemand application is just told what frequency and subchannel to find it at. Normally, signal issues would cause both audio and video to break up. Audio issues could be a problem with the cable box or interaction between it and the TV or receiver.

For an Internet-based OnDemand, it could be a bug in whatever is being used to stream it. Again, signal problems would most likely cause buffering stops or lower resolution.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by andyross:

OnDemand on a cable box is just a standard QAM video channel. It's several frequencies set aside and the OnDemand application is just told what frequency and subchannel to find it at. Normally, signal issues would cause both audio and video to break up.

Yes, normally, but just like the OP in this thread »[Comcast Equip] Sound Dropping Out , I am having an issue with one of my STBs where the sound will occasionally drop out fow a few seconds without much effect on the video.

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL

Much effect or No effect? If you do get a bit of video corruption, then it probably is a weak signal and/or noise issue. It's normal for the box to mute for a second or two if there are problems and it loses sync between the video and audio.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by andyross:

Much effect or No effect? If you do get a bit of video corruption, then it probably is a weak signal and/or noise issue. It's normal for the box to mute for a second or two if there are problems and it loses sync between the video and audio.

There may be a small amount of video corruption, but not as much as with a weak signal. I suspect I have a bad/intermittant connection somewhere behind the TV set.

Once it starts becoming too annoying, then I'll bother to pull it out and investigate more.