All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
RollTide53
join:2014-07-29
Buras, LA

RollTide53

[Southeast] Being denied DSL after being told by home phone technician....

that it is available...

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!! I am getting the run around with AT&T. I have been trying to get internet for over 2 months now and can not seem to understand why I am being denied. After a while of getting denied, I figured that maybe getting a home phone could increase the chances of me getting internet. I talked to a man who told me that there was a 90% chance that once my phone is hooked up, I would be able to get DSL internet.

So I called a number that the man told me to call so that I would find out if I was available for internet and they told me once again that it was unavailable. I told them that I did not want the home phone unless I was able to get internet. The person told me they would then send a technician out to see what was going on.

After a week of not hearing back from AT&T, the technician to hook up my home phone came to turn my phone on. I then told him that I absolutely did not want the home phone unless I was able to get internet. HE told me that there was in fact DSL available for me and that he would have someone call me the next day for internet. The next day I received a phone call from AT&T regarding my internet and go figure... THEY TOLD ME I COULD NOT GET INTERNET.

So the next day I called the technician back to ask him what was going on and he informed me once again that there is in fact DSL available in my area but they are blocking it for some reason and there is nothing that he can do.

After running this by a friend, they informed me that I can call the "Public Service Commission" and they could help me out. Only problem is, I don't know what the Public Service Commission is or how to contact them. I have tried google, but nothing solid has come up.

People to the North and South of me have perfectly fine working internet. There is a lane that is walking distance (maybe 0.1 mile away from me) that has AT&T internet.

SOMEONE... ANYONE... PLEASE HELP. My fiance' and I are both college students who has just moved and the internet is absolutely essential to our studies and school work. On top of that, who does not enjoy having the power of the internet at the tip of their fingers? Thanks in advance.

my thoughts
@24.209.161.x

my thoughts

Anon

Project VIP is in progress... At the completion in Dec 2015....
33 million homes will have access to Uverse FTTN or FTTP internet with IPTV service available.
24 million residences will have access to adsl2+ internet plus phones if desired.
The remaining 25% of AT&T footprint will have access to 4G LTE Wireless internet and phones.

Currently you fall into the last group....
Your desired product...»www.att.com/shop/wireles ··· G5fgu26e

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386 to RollTide53

to RollTide53
The ST (station tech) that was there to hook up your phone has no authority to tell you what is, or isn't, available to you. He or she may be able to visually see the equipment in the RT or CO, but there is little chance of them knowing the specifics of it. That is the same as walking into a dentist office, and asking the receptionist to diagnose a cavity.

Before accepting keys always know who provides your power, water, and internet!

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to RollTide53

to RollTide53
said by RollTide53:

they informed me that I can call the "Public Service Commission" and they could help me out.

... aka public utility commission, etc. It's a state agency that usually regulates electric, gas, water, sewer, POTS phone, steam, and sometimes other utilities. The PSC in Wisconsin does not regulate internet service, unfortunately, but I can't say that about all states.

If unregulated, the only recourse you have is to contact the service provider and offer them more money. In my opinion they start to care when they are billing you about $1000 a month. Or contact another provider.

I don't know which one is the "United State" but if you post a more specific location somebody might be able to give you more specifics.
RollTide53
Buras, LA

RollTide53

Haha. More specifically, I live in Buras, Louisiana 70041. It is a small town, but AT&T internet is all over the place. Literally 0.1 mile away from me is a lane filled with AT&T internet. I can walk to the lane in less than 3 minutes. People to the North and South of me have AT&T. And there was once AT&T internet at my location before in 2011. The owners before us had it.

Being that it is such a small town, AT&T has leased ALL OF THE POLE LINES so I have been told and the only other option for internet is satellite internet like Hughes Net, but I use too much gb to be paying per gb. Plus, I have personally experienced Hughes Net and I am not paying for that. It is unreliable to say the least.

Hopefully you can further help me. Thanks for the reply.
RollTide53

RollTide53 to my thoughts

to my thoughts
Thanks for the reply, but I am absolutely not paying for a data plan. I'd rather not have internet. Being that I am grandfathered in on my unlimited plan for my cell phone, I do not agree with paying per gb no matter what service it is for.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to RollTide53

to RollTide53
Not that this is any help, but this link will give you some background info that I believe to be reasonably reliable and possibly related to your problem.
»ports full
RollTide53
Buras, LA

RollTide53

I have posted in the direct forum as well. Still waiting on a response, but even if the ports are full, shouldn't they be able to come and open one up. In the link you provided, a member said that was in fact the problem and they easily came out to open one. I do not understand why it would be that much of an inconvenience for them to help me out. I am going to call and request to get a technician to come check it out. I hope that will help. Thanks for the reply.

weaseled386
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386

The direct forum is dead... you'll have to chase other routes. The guy who was handling it was placed within another part of the company. Did I miss why cable isn't an option?
RollTide53
Buras, LA

RollTide53

I apologize, but I am not sure what you mean by cable. Can you please explain?

weaseled386
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386

said by RollTide53:

I apologize, but I am not sure what you mean by cable. Can you please explain?

Who provides TV service to your area? Do they provide internet? IE: Comcast, Brighthouse, etc.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to RollTide53

Premium Member

to RollTide53
»www.broadbandmap.gov/ shows only AT&T as a wired provider for 70041. No cable company. If you provide the nearest intersection of two streets to your location that might help us figure out some more about what might be the dilemma that is preventing DSL service being provided to you.
RollTide53
Buras, LA

RollTide53 to weaseled386

to weaseled386
I have DirecTV. I'm not sure who else provides cable services. I think Dish does. And they only offer satellite internet. I looked into them as well.
treyatl2006
join:2012-01-26
Atlanta, GA

treyatl2006 to RollTide53

to RollTide53
Im going to give it to you straight like I told the other guy in the other thread. At&t is probably lying about the availability of dsl at your location. At&t is simply not allowing any new customers in most legacy adsl territories. At&t want you to get their Uverse service. If Uverse isnt available in your area, they want you to buy their capped, expensive wireless LTE service.At&t does not care about legacy dsl or pots (landline phone). The only reason they offer pots is because they are regulated and required by law. Unfortunately dsl isnt regulated in most states. They are doing the same thing in my area also.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker to RollTide53

Premium Member

to RollTide53
Have you tried ordering Small Business DSL? Generally that product is still being sold is it not? Might cost 30 more dollars per month.