uniqs

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

upload speed increase

I am doing a 10GB back up to my google drive account. I wish upload was faster than 10Mbps. This is going to take a while.
jchambers28

jchambers28

Premium Member

why is upload capped so low compared to download speed?
AmericanLoco
join:2014-02-08
United State

AmericanLoco to jchambers28

to jchambers28
Part of the reason is that the DOCSIS upstream specification can't handle as much throughput per channel, and most DOCSIS3.0 cable modems have far fewer upstream channels then downstream. Unless DOCSIS3.1 has some big upgrades planned, they're going to have a hard time competing with symmetrical fiber like Verizon.
whiteazn
join:2005-02-10
Henderson, NV

whiteazn to jchambers28

to jchambers28
what was the old upload speeds before the upgrade in speeds? I could have sworn we had higher upload speeds before (like 50down, 20 up) ?

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

50/10

ikyuaoki
join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS

ikyuaoki to AmericanLoco

to AmericanLoco
"DOCSIS upstream specification can't handle the lots of upload bandwidth"? that is ridiculous. the cable ISP companies don't want them to use the upstream even more unless the customers are willing to shell it out even more then the cable ISP will let them to use it on upstream speedy.

being said, that DOCSIS 3.0/3.1 can handle lots more upstream bandwidth. for explain: the DOCSIS 3.0 upstream can do at 100Mbits+ over the four upload channels.
Maltz
join:2011-01-08
Fayetteville, AR
Calix 844G
Netgate SG-2100
Ubiquiti U6-LR

Maltz to AmericanLoco

to AmericanLoco
said by AmericanLoco:

Unless DOCSIS3.1 has some big upgrades planned, they're going to have a hard time competing with symmetrical fiber like Verizon.

DOCSIS 3.1 can handle 10Gb down and 1Gb up, and it does it using (I think) about 2/3 of the signal bandwidth of DOCSIS 3.0 at the same rates. So yes, it has some big upgrades planned. But I suspect we will have to have a lot heavier use of SDV and the death of analog channels alongside internet speed increases as we approach 1Gb in the next few years.
tronester3
join:2008-08-10
Tulsa, OK

tronester3

I would MUCH rather have 50/20 than 100/10. I don't see that happening anytime soon though.