All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rcalzadilla
join:2009-02-15
Miami, FL

rcalzadilla

[Connectivity] No Internet but Modem shows otherwise.

No Internet but my Motorola SB6121 shows all the lights working correctly.
Power cycled modem and router and connected modem directly to PC to verify no internet service.
Called Comcast and they advise my area's service is down.
Since I am new to this modem: How can I tell the modem is not connected to internet when the lights on it shows that there is service?
Shouldn't the modem give some indication there no intenet sevice?

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

1 recommendation

train_wreck

there can be many reasons for an area's service to be down; if the problem lies beyond your local head-end (the place where all the cable modems in the neighborhood eventually connect to), then your modem has no way of showing that there is a problem. The lights on the front of it only indicate that it has successfully connected to this head-end, nothing more.

Is your service back up yet?

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to rcalzadilla

Premium Member

to rcalzadilla
said by rcalzadilla:

There are conditions when you are connected and all lights seem normal but checking the modem signals would show as off line or signals so poor that actual throughput is impossible.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by tshirt:

said by rcalzadilla:

There are conditions when you are connected and all lights seem normal but checking the modem signals would show as off line or signals so poor that actual throughput is impossible.

OTOH, I have seen many cases where the ISP was having IP connectivity problems, and a bridge modem would show everything was normal (both indicator lights and signal/status displays). And sometimes in those cases, even a connected router might initially seem to indicate that everything was connected and normal (except that no traffic would pass) until you did a resync on its WAN interface.
rcalzadilla
join:2009-02-15
Miami, FL

rcalzadilla to train_wreck

to train_wreck
Yes, service is back. thanks