Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

paddyII

join:2004-04-03
Mississauga, ON

[TV] Shaw Direct - New HD Guide

»www.shawdirect.ca/hdguide

During the week of July 28, 2014, all 600-series receivers will show an on-screen notification when the guide is opened...

Robrr

join:2008-04-19
Guelph, ON
Cool!!!

Have to check it out once my receiver updates.
Expand your moderator at work

RuralRose

@216.238.230.x
reply to Robrr

Re: [TV] Shaw Direct - New HD Guide

Have they truly discontinued the option to create your own channel list?!? Listing by category or name does nothing to limit doubles, triples, quads etc. of Global News for example. I want a list of local CTV, CBC, GLOBAL with LOCAL advertising! I'm not interested in Regina car ads!

vitesse

join:2002-12-17
Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, QC
Reviews:
·Electronic Box
·voip.ms
·Bell Sympatico
·Videotron
reply to paddyII
This better than your own list.. you can have your own setting for each individual in your house.

For example my dad have is own channel list, big font for the guide, no possibility for recording on the pvr and he is a simple user. I have my own channel too, with small font to see more guide info, possibility to record on the PVR and I'm and administrator.

This is well done, but we need to get used to it.

Anyone know when they will update their package or sell all their channel "a la carte" like other provider?

--
Connection: ElectronicBox 60mbps / 10mbps
Bilingual DSLR ElectronicBox Forum: »Electronic Box

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
said by vitesse:

sell all their channel "a la carte" like other provider?

Which provider does this? I am aware of none

Fryst

join:2014-06-30
Whistler, BC
Reviews:
·Yak Communications
lol, i have bell and when i ask them why they dont do a la carte they say because its not aloud. its such a lie and so far from the truth its not even funny. shaw did a la carte on cable tv for me no problem.

yet apparently according to bell its against crtc

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
No, it is against their deals with the content providers, except the channels in Basic (must-carry rules).

Channel XX must be packaged with channel YY from BCE.

Shaw Cable only has a few 'a la carte' channels

tlhIngan

join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC
kudos:1
reply to paddyII
Of course, the networks have been undermining this for the past couple of years now by moving their star programming around their networks. So in the end if you want your regular programming, you're going to have to buy all 5 channels in the network.

That, and now all programming has to vie for "ratings" which means what programs USED to be about the topics now has to add stuff that appeals to the masses but adds no content - the programmers now remove content from the show to make room for the crap "the masses" like.

A la carte isn't the panacea people make it to be. It just means more people going for more eyeballs and more appealing to the lowest common denominator.

The real problem are the sports channels. A channel like Discovery is around 25 cents/subscriber/month, maybe 50 cents when you add in all the bundled channels and tops out around $1 if you go for EVERY discovery network channel in their lineup. Practically all the other channels are similar (History is). Lesser channels are cheaper, of course. The only network that pays providers is, well, Shopping Network, which is why they're always included in every cable offering.

ESPN though easily charges $10 a month or more. The other sports channels are slightly cheaper, but not by much.

Fryst

Whistler, BC
how movie central gets away with $18-$20/m is so silly

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
said by Fryst:

how movie central gets away with $18-$20/m is so silly

That is cheaper per month than SpaceHD and DiscoveryHD ($26/month)

tlhIngan

join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC
kudos:1
reply to paddyII
If that's what Shaw is charging, someone is making a lot of money because Shaw's bundled payments for Space and Discovery are WAY lower (think order of magnitude!).

I mean, the theme pack (best of HD) with both Space HD and Discovery HD is $35 and includes 46 other channels (some must-carry, some optional). Or, assuming Shaw sells it at cost, that's under a dollar per channel, which is right on each channel. Like I said, Discovery network is around 50 cents per subscriber per month.

Fryst

Whistler, BC
i get both those channels on my bell package tho so ur point is kinda irrelevant

movie central is included in what. no packages with any provider? always an add on?

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
That is because Movie Central (or SuperChannel) is the package.

I get EA 1 and 2 in my package, those are apart of MovieCentral too

Fryst

Whistler, BC
Reviews:
·Yak Communications
i dont care, thats not the point. the point is it costs $18-$20 and thats fucked. they could easily make movie central $10 and other stuff $10 but they dont because people wont take both so they bundle to force u to take something u dont want

why should i have to get movie central which i will NEVER WATCH EVER just to get HBO which i want like 2-3 shows on...... which are like never on

vitesse

join:2002-12-17
Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, QC
Reviews:
·Electronic Box
·voip.ms
·Bell Sympatico
·Videotron
reply to kevinds
Vidéotron cable does this in Quebec. You have basic HD channel + 5 to 30 channel that you can choose yourself. So you get only the channel you really want.

»www.videotron.com/residential/te ··· at620050

Terra3

@72.172.97.x
reply to vitesse
. . . .but only one list of favourites for each user. No separate favourites lists for users. To have something like that, you create multiple users and create a single favourites list for each. The logic that went into that system design is laughable.

Shaw indicates 'view more' with regard to the new guide. A lie. With the compressed guide timeline, it is viewing less.

A huge failure from Shaw.

Pete

@76.70.93.x
reply to paddyII
The new guide squeezes all of the television listing into the left half of the screen, making the text extremely small. The right half of the screen is now a permanent small image of the current channel and info below, you can't get rid of this right side as you were able to before when it was an option at the top). This may be fine for customers with large tv's but for us, with all of our tv's less than 32" - reading the text is now difficult and very inconvenient. We really dislike the new guide size and if it does not improve we will look to find another provider.
Expand your moderator at work

paddyII

join:2004-04-03
Mississauga, ON
reply to Pete

Re: [TV] Shaw Direct - New HD Guide

You can change the font size maybe that would help. You can find the user guide at:
»media.shawdirect.ca/uploadedfile ··· n-v4.pdf

Pete

@76.70.94.x
Thanks, we have already increased the font size to the maximum but it is still way too small on our tv's to read without walking right up to the tv. This new guide is clearly not meant to accommodate older smaller TV sets. If my kids are having trouble with it, I know my parents will not be able to use it at all.

They need to return the option to remove the half panel with the mini screen of the current channel - it would really help.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
reply to paddyII
It's a nice change from the buggy, ugly system it replaced.
My box hasn't crashed since the upgrade. I'm not used to that.

Lairy David1

@206.47.249.x
movie central classified as a is a premium movie package, its also commercial free, so the channel can only make profit from subscribers, they also have to pay for the movie rights from the content holders they purchase it from, and they also have to be profitable at the same time, hence the cost of their package with shaw/rogers/bell/video tron.

bud9999

@72.2.21.x
reply to Pete
Terra3 has it right.
The new favourites for each user is a joke. One should not expect the 600 unit to switch from one user to another to record a program, one ends up with a 'Switch User' screen being recorded instead. One has to be in the Owner mode to ensure channels change to the one required to record.
The addition of unwanted programs in the Users lists is a pain, their menus seem to alter all the time. Take some channels out of the Users lists and they reappear or disappear altogether. That is if one can get past the many duplications of channels.
New TSN channels got added to all the Users, and those 4 channels turns into 8 channels that need to be removed from the listing. The whole menu search system is a joke as what one may consider an Action film for instance, can be found under Comedy. How is one supposed to know what another person considers a particular show to be
Shaw should take another look at the Guide and go back to the older system at least it worked albeit badly edited.

Don't both adding anything to Shaw's blog they remove any criticism of their new guide.

yes

@207.216.210.x
reply to paddyII
And NO CHOICE of course. Shaw never do a thing for the benefit of customers, its money and Forced Advertising, more and more and more and more, a Screen on the right upper side ON all the time, to show vile commercials, every show is infested with long, loud, obnoxious, blaring commercials, no warning, no honour from Shaw about their customers.

Shaw deny and never mention that huge parts of their shows are not shows but Filler for the Commercials~ they have doubled or tripled the time for the commercials that are louder, longer and with no warning... just Dump them on the customers, never mention the exist and are a huge part of the Show which they are NOT

No wonder millions are cutting-off the Cartels like Shaw/ Rogers/ Bell who hate real choice! USA and free trade! a joke really... people cant pay a US Company for their TV feed? much better/ far superior and so much choice... no forced Canadian Content junk with dozens of muck CBC channels, all the same as the tripe CTV..... Shaw will soon jack- up the cost for their muck shows, muck TV.... must pay for the new forced Guide and the tripe Shaw churn-out..... in between commercials!!