andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to telcodad

MVM

to telcodad

[Audio] Re: Audio cuts out of HD On Demand

Normally, cooler temps result in better signals, not worse.

wolf
@74.121.100.x

wolf

Anon

What about sun spots? I'm pretty sure that's the cause of my audio dropping back to Stereo every night.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to andyross

MVM

to andyross
said by andyross:

Normally, cooler temps result in better signals, not worse.

Yes, that's usually the case, but there may be a piece of line equipment that happens to work oppositely.

The other possibility may be a prime time (7PM to 11PM) node congestion issue.

andyross
MVM
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

It's not clear if this is OnDemand on a cable box, or on a computer/tablet/whatever.

OnDemand on a cable box is just a standard QAM video channel. It's several frequencies set aside and the OnDemand application is just told what frequency and subchannel to find it at. Normally, signal issues would cause both audio and video to break up. Audio issues could be a problem with the cable box or interaction between it and the TV or receiver.

For an Internet-based OnDemand, it could be a bug in whatever is being used to stream it. Again, signal problems would most likely cause buffering stops or lower resolution.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by andyross:

OnDemand on a cable box is just a standard QAM video channel. It's several frequencies set aside and the OnDemand application is just told what frequency and subchannel to find it at. Normally, signal issues would cause both audio and video to break up.

Yes, normally, but just like the OP in this thread »[Comcast Equip] Sound Dropping Out , I am having an issue with one of my STBs where the sound will occasionally drop out fow a few seconds without much effect on the video.

andyross
MVM
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

Much effect or No effect? If you do get a bit of video corruption, then it probably is a weak signal and/or noise issue. It's normal for the box to mute for a second or two if there are problems and it loses sync between the video and audio.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by andyross:

Much effect or No effect? If you do get a bit of video corruption, then it probably is a weak signal and/or noise issue. It's normal for the box to mute for a second or two if there are problems and it loses sync between the video and audio.

There may be a small amount of video corruption, but not as much as with a weak signal. I suspect I have a bad/intermittant connection somewhere behind the TV set.

Once it starts becoming too annoying, then I'll bother to pull it out and investigate more.