how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

chad0404

join:2005-10-04
Pittsburgh, PA

OS9 Apps With 10.8 iMac

Hi, I am running an iMac with OSX 10.8.5 and recently found a stash of old OS9 games and applications at a local yard sale. The seller also gave me an old OS9 install disk which I tried to use as a boot disk on the iMac to no avail because I think it needs the drivers. I am now trying to figure out how to get the OS9 drivers onto my system without partioning the whole hard drive again and losing all my OSX stuff. I read on some thread that it might be possible to install OSX9 drivers via Terminal and then boot from the old OS9 disk but the thread did not give any instructions or terminal commands. If anybody can offer any suggestions I would be very happy and so would my kids who would love to play some really old Apple games.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

OS9 will not run on your iMac. Look for a OS9 Emulator such as this: »www.macwindows.com/Emulator-for-···ion.html

modelamac

join:2002-04-13
Waterford, MI
reply to chad0404

You need an emulator as donor suggests or get an old Mac Pro G5.

alanxenos
Dispatches from Chicago

join:2008-09-26
Winnetka, IL
reply to chad0404

If you want a dedicated machine, the newest one that can natively run OS9 is the Mirrored Drive Door PowerMac (»apple-history.com/g4_mirror)
--
are you safe miss gradenko?

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by alanxenos:

If you want a dedicated machine, the newest one that can natively run OS9 is the Mirrored Drive Door PowerMac (»apple-history.com/g4_mirror)

A Power Mac G5 + Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) will run OS 9 apps just wonderfully... that'd be my preferred method, honestly.

Tiger is still probably my favorite OS X release of all time.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State

Agreed. I still have mine on a shelf.

alanxenos
Dispatches from Chicago

join:2008-09-26
Winnetka, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Broadband..
reply to dennismurphy

said by dennismurphy:

said by alanxenos:

A Power Mac G5 + Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) will run OS 9 apps just wonderfully... that'd be my preferred method, honestly.

Tiger is still probably my favorite OS X release of all time.

True, that'd be a good way. You can still find PM's littered around eBay and craigslist (if you're in a metro-ish area) and they are literally indestructible.
--
are you safe miss gradenko?

coryw

join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to dennismurphy

It depends on the application. In my experience, on 10.2, 10.3, and 10.4 with Classic Mode is that if you used actual OS 9 software on your Mac, then Classic Mode would self-implode and completely wreck both your OS 9 install and OS X install.

My recommendation would be to get an OS9 bootable MDD powermac (not all of them can boot OS 9, but they're usually fairly well marked) for OS 9, and don't bother with dual booting or Classic Mode.

SheepShaver may be a good option, but that will depend a lot on how fast your iMac is and what games you found.

dennismurphy
Premium
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to alanxenos

said by alanxenos:

True, that'd be a good way. You can still find PM's littered around eBay and craigslist (if you're in a metro-ish area) and they are literally indestructible.

My dual 2.0GHz G5 is still going - it's at my brother's house. He's since upgraded to an Intel iMac but the G5 still works fine.

I still have all of the Mac OS X CD's -- 10.0-10.6 at least. I think I even have the 'up-to-date' coupons from 10.0!

Heck, I still have OS 8 and OS 9 CD's and may even have a System 7 CD around here somewhere.

Ahh, the good old days of mystery and intrigue. Mac OS X was the game-changer for me. Prior, I was an OS/2 user with a SPARCstation on the side. Mac OS X gave me the best of all worlds!

dennismurphy
Premium
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to coryw

said by coryw:

It depends on the application. In my experience, on 10.2, 10.3, and 10.4 with Classic Mode is that if you used actual OS 9 software on your Mac, then Classic Mode would self-implode and completely wreck both your OS 9 install and OS X install.

Complete and utter nonsense.

chad0404

join:2005-10-04
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to chad0404

Hi there and thanks for all the help. I picked up a decent G5 iMac and installed Tiger but I do not see how to install Classic. I looked everywhere on the Tiger DVD and cannot find any package that refers to Classic. If anyone can tell me how to play old OS9 games on Tiger it would be very appreciated. I do not have any of the original install media that came with the G5 iMac and maybe that is what I need.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

What version of OS 9 is on the install CD that you have?

You can try these instructions:
»www.cnet.com/news/tutorial-insta···llation/

But I think the OS9General.dmg file is only on system restore CDs, not the retail install CDs.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!