spc
Search similar:

uniqs
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse

[IPv6] pfSense and IPv6 dropping

I use to have a NetGear R6300 router and it couldn't hold IPv6 reservations past the first lease renewal...

I built an pfSense box using an APU PcEngines board and it was working fine at first.... at first... now I am having IPv6 reservations randomly disappear on it also.

To get them back I have to reboot pfSense. Currently I am on version 2.1.4-RELEASE. Anyone else have an issue like this?

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

[IPv6] Re: pfSense and IPv6 dropping

I have been trying to get pfSense to work with Comcast's Business trial with no success. The WAN port will get an address and initially the LAN side gets an address, but then the LAN side disappears never to work again unless I rebuild.

I am running it in a VM.

The ONLY stable firewall I have been able to get to work is a Sophos UTM 9 in a VM. Works like a charm right out of the box with no tweaking.
neufuse
James Creek, PA

neufuse

pfSense was working perfectly stable and fine for me out of the box until a few weeks ago started having ipv6 issues out of no where
voiptalk
join:2010-04-10
Gainesville, VA
MikroTik RB750G
Cisco DPC3941

1 edit

1 recommendation

voiptalk to neufuse

to neufuse

Re: [IPv6] pfSense and IPv6 dropping

pfSense does have a tendency to loose it's IPv6 addressing if there is a gateway event. This could be via a Gateway Monitoring (apinger) event or an interface bounce from the cable modem restarting.

Are there any corresponding events in 'Status:System Logs:Gateways' or 'Status:System Logs:Routing'?

What I have done to keep IPv6 stable is:

1) Disable Gateway Monitoring (System: Gateways: Edit gateway -- Disable Gateway Monitoring) for both IPv6 and IPv4. If you have multi-WAN, then this wouldn't be an option. But, just fine for a single WAN.

2) Place a switch between the CM and pfSense. This will isolate pfSense from an interface bounce caused by a CM reboot.
neufuse
James Creek, PA

1 recommendation

neufuse

This is all I have that looks remotely tied to it

Jul 28 00:19:46 apinger: SIGHUP received, reloading configuration.
Jul 28 05:22:04 apinger: ALARM: WAN_DHCP6(fe80::221:d8ff:fed1:cfe2%re1) *** down ***
Jul 28 05:22:05 apinger: ALARM: WAN_DHCP(73.183.68.1) *** down ***
Jul 28 05:34:21 apinger: SIGHUP received, reloading configuration.
Jul 28 05:34:21 apinger: alarm canceled (config reload): WAN_DHCP(73.183.68.1) *** down ***
Jul 28 05:34:21 apinger: alarm canceled (config reload): WAN_DHCP6(fe80::221:d8ff:fed1:cfe2%re1) *** down ***
Jul 28 05:34:21 apinger: No usable targets found, exiting
voiptalk
join:2010-04-10
Gainesville, VA

1 recommendation

voiptalk

Oh ya, seen that before, that's the trigger.

If you just have the single WAN interface, I suggest disabling Gateway Monitoring, as I mentioned in my previous post. The only thing you will loose are the RRD Graphs for Quality.