spc
Search similar:

uniqs

sunra
join:2004-02-06
Jacksonville, FL

sunra

[Connectivity] Recent provisioning change reduced my downstream rate by 100kb

Within the past week my downstream rate dropped by 100kb.
My Linksys CM100 modem used to show the exact provisioned speeds, now it says "Unlimited". The Power and SNR readings have not changed. I called Comcast tech support but they asked me to call Linksys, I made them re-provision the line, but nothing changed. Any ideas? I had a pc directly connected to the modem during my testing.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

2 recommendations

graysonf

MVM

On my tier that would be less than a 0.4% reduction in speed. I would never notice that.
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

1 recommendation

Bink to sunra

to sunra
You’re complaining about 100Kb? Comcast guarantees almost nothing and my speed likely fluctuates by over 100Kb every time I run a speed test. You really have no problem here.
videomatic3
join:2003-12-12
Pleasanton, CA

videomatic3 to sunra

to sunra
on my extreme 105 they only promise 90

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

said by videomatic3:

on my extreme 105 they only promise 90

who, from Comcast, told you that? as far as i've known, Comcast never guarantees ANY speeds.

they may have said that, because ~90-94mbps is about the max of an older router with 10/100mbps ethernet ports...
videomatic3
join:2003-12-12
Pleasanton, CA
ARRIS S33

1 edit

videomatic3

when i called comcast and asked them why i was getting 35mbit download they told me it wasnt above 90 so it wasnt acceptable, turns out i just had a loose ethernet cable plugged into my power strip

i also called and had 1 ip address added to my account, when they did that, i was able to obtain 2 dynamic ip addresses, but for some reason it provisioned me to the performance tier, so i removed the ip, this was the second time that i was told i should get more than 90 or they will send a tech out

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to sunra

to sunra
id be happy your modem is still working....
saratoga66
join:2002-08-22
Saratoga, CA

saratoga66

said by gar187er:

id be happy your modem is still working....

I agree. The OP is using an End of Life Modem. They need to replace it ASAP.

sunra
Jacksonville, FL

2 edits

sunra

I am happy my old modem still works just fine thank you.
I'm on a 6MB tier, so a sudden drop in sustained download by 100kb is a big deal to me. If that happened on my sustained upload I'd be left with an 8kb upload. Old or not it doesn't explain why the modem stopped showing the actual provisioned rates and just says "Unlimited" now. My sustained download is a constant 825kb now, when it used to be a constant 930kb for many years. All netstat, ping and VoIP tests are as rock solid as when the modem was new.
I can see there are no answers here. I'll ask a local field tech when I see one in the neighborhood. I have fiber to the curb in a six year old home.

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick

Premium Member

how much are you paying for the 6MB Tier? you might get a better deal on the Performance or the Blast! tier.

Kasoah
join:2013-08-20
Merced, CA

2 edits

Kasoah to sunra

to sunra
100kb? Are you seriously whining about this?
Also I am sure you mean kB, not kb. Asking anyone about this will yield you no results.
If you really wanted to see your speeds, go download your config file from the modem and use vultureware to check the speeds compared to an older config. Of course downloading it won't be simple.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to sunra

Premium Member

to sunra
said by sunra:

I have fiber to the curb in a six year old home.

That may very well be the case, but what does that have to do with your DOCSIS 2 Linksys CM100 modem on a Comcast HFC connection? I think I can safely say that whoever is supplying the fiber to the curb service won't do so over a DOCSIS 2 Linksys CM100 modem.

sunra
Jacksonville, FL

sunra

swapped out the old modem for a new docsis3.0 modem, no change. Upgraded to performance tier and the docsis 2.0 modem is exactly the same as the docsis3.0 modem. Bringing the new modem back to the store tomorrow. Docsis 2.0 handles 25Mb DL speed fine.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by sunra:

swapped out the old modem for a new docsis3.0 modem, no change. Upgraded to performance tier and the docsis 2.0 modem is exactly the same as the docsis3.0 modem. Bringing the new modem back to the store tomorrow. Docsis 2.0 handles 25Mb DL speed fine.

I suggest that you call Comcast before returning the DOCSIS 3 modem to the store, and try to get them to remove it from your account (explain that you are returning it to the store). Otherwise, that store is probably going to sell that modem to someone else, and if they are a Comcast customer then both of you may have Comcast account related problems (as happened in this thread: »[Connectivity] Internet will only stay active for 1-3 mins after reset ). And hopefully, Comcast won't remove your old DOCSIS 2 modem from your account because they think you now have a DOCSIS 3 modem (Comcast isn't very swift about keeping up with account changes, and that could happen days or weeks from now).

sunra
Jacksonville, FL

sunra

Thanks NetFixer, your advice was the best in this entire thread. It took 3 phone calls to get a speed Tier upgrade initiated properly, and I dread calling Comcast again. Only Judy in the retention dept. was good. The overseas agents were embarrassingly clueless jokers. My account shows both third party modems now. I'm just gonna leave it alone and hope for the best.
matt96teg
join:2005-01-31
Marysville, WA

matt96teg to sunra

to sunra
AFAIK the CM100 was end of life as of a year ago. With all the speed tier increases you might look at getting a D3 modem. 100kb is peanuts. What speed tier do you have and what speeds are you expecting?