spc
Search similar:

uniqs
voidspace
join:2011-12-22

voidspace to PatchTues

to PatchTues

Re: [Rant] Ebola quarantine

"HIV has been infecting humans for more than 100 years, reached epidemic levels in the last 30 — and yet remains a virus that is transmitted only by bodily fluids. We haven't ever seen a switch in transmission mode occur in any of the viruses that cause serious human disease today. In fact, the viral family to which Ebola belongs (the Filoviridae) seems be about 10,000 years old and, as far as we know now, is entirely made up of viruses that are transmitted by body fluids. Though it's not completely impossible that an unusual series of mutations, combined with natural selection or genetic drift, could result in airborne Ebola, based on the available evidence, it is extremely unlikely."

- »evolution.berkeley.edu/e ··· 03_ebola

Yea I'm sure it is just going to change over night!

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to PatchTues

Premium Member

to PatchTues
said by PatchTues :

Channeling the head of the CDC is not making your arguments worth anything.

What argument? I am making a statement of fact that your comments are nothing more than pure bullshit.

The infectious disease experts who deal with this stuff have forgot more about Ebola than you will ever know in your entire lifetime.
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
The Guinean town that overcame Ebola

"When we got the results from Conakry confirming that Ebola had reached our place, we were scared,” says Dr Maurice Ony Beuvogui, the Director of the district hospital in Telimele, a Guinean town located some 270 kilometres north of the capital Conakry. “But we knew that we, health workers, have the responsibility to fight it.”

»www.who.int/features/201 ··· free/en/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you don't come to us we will come to you....a wise leader and the rest heeded the protocol.

you go guys!
jaberi

jaberi

Ebola's Incredibly Infectious. Ebola's Also Hard To Catch. Confused? Here's How To Understand.

It's a visible inconsistency that's threatened to muddle public health messages about Ebola. For example, the White House has shifted into Ebola "crisis mode," Reuters reported on Tuesday, even while stressing that other Americans should remain calm.

»www.forbes.com/sites/dan ··· erstand/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

it's a White House crisis......lol .............Barry is reprimanding Italy, France and Germany for not donating more $$$ Canada as well.
in this particular case i will say Barry has every right to say why does everyone look to US to fix things.
if it will be pledged than let everyone do their share..... the sad thing about is every time there is a pledge doesn't mean it is delivered...as well as when it is delivered the squandering lords er leaders of said countries only enrich themselves, while the poor still remain diseased and poor.

patchTues
@73.160.110.x

patchTues to Gone

Anon

to Gone
said by Gone:

What argument? I am making a statement of fact that your comments are nothing more than pure bullshit.

The infectious disease experts who deal with this stuff have forgot more about Ebola than you will ever know in your entire lifetime.

That is your OPINION and nothing more. And you know all the infectious disease experts???

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

Nurse Infected With Ebola, May Have Felt Ill As Early As Friday

»www.huffingtonpost.com/2 ··· 062.html

Because she may have been sick earlier than officials believed, the CDC is expanding their investigation to people the 29-year-old nurse may have come into contact with over the weekend. Included are passengers who were on her flight to Cleveland, Fox 8 Cleveland reported.

Seven people have placed themselves under self-quarantine in Northeast Ohio after coming into contact with Vinson during her trip to Ohio. According to Fox News 8, people who were at the Coming Attractions bridal shop in Akron on Oct. 11 from 12 to 3:30 p.m. have been asked to call the health department.

Some schools in Texas and Ohio have also canceled classes because students or staff flew on the same airplane as Vinson.

-----------------

Slowly it spreads .....

What are we going to do for food when CBSA closes the border to truckers? Catapult the food over the border?

The only thing that is spreading is the jam on your toast from between your toes. Pure FUD. I think the forum for paranoia and fiction is at www.makebelieve.com.

As for Canada PX, we will have an IQ test and a rationale test to enter. From my experience you will be let through but MK here will go into one of the boxcars.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
This is all getting to be like a bad movie, "Godzilla and Mothra get Ebola".

So now another Dallas nurse decided to go on a Carnival cruise ship. No one wants to let the ship dock. I hope they have 21 days of food.

What is it with all these Dallas hospital workers feeling a compulsion to go on trains, planes, automobiles, and ships, as the late great John Candy might have said....

And the crazy hysteria.

Syracuse University's journalism school (NY) just banned a scheduled guest lecturer solely because he was in Liberia 3 weeks ago. His comments:

The most disappointing part of this bad decision is the disservice to the fine journalism students at Syracuse’s Newhouse School. What a missed opportunity to teach future media professionals how to seek out accurate hard facts; backed up with full details about the Ebola crisis. I guess it is easier to pull the hysteria and xenophobia cards.

»www.washingtonpost.com/n ··· liberia/

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to patchTues

Premium Member

to patchTues
said by patchTues :

That is your OPINION and nothing more. And you know all the infectious disease experts???

I have basic reading comprehension skills. And because of that, I am assured that your opinion is one of ignorant bullshit.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
Hi PX, yes the hospital should be renamed and its true calling identified.

The Presbyterian University of Medical Incompetance

sm5w2
Premium Member
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

1 edit

sm5w2 to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
Ebola-Handling Healthcare Worker Currently On A Caribbean Cruise Ship: »www.zerohedge.com/news/2 ··· ise-ship

And I posted back a page or two in this thread that ebola is suspected of being transmitted throught the air by infectious aerosol particles:

-----------
Ebola may have the potential to be airborne, according to a September commentary submitted to the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) at the University of Minnesota. The authors believe “scientific and epidemiologic evidence that Ebola virus has the potential to be transmitted via infectious aerosol particles both near and at a distance from infected patients.”

»www.inquisitr.com/154182 ··· s-claim/
-------------
In April of 2014, CIDRAP published a commentary on Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS) that confirmed the disease “could be an aerosol-transmissible disease, especially in healthcare settings,” similar to the known aerosol transmission capability of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS).

Although CIDRAP acknowledges that they were “first skeptical that Ebola virus could be an aerosol-transmissible disease,” they are “now persuaded by a review of experimental and epidemiologic data that this might be an important feature of disease transmission, particularly in healthcare settings.”

»www.breitbart.com/Big-Go ··· e-by-Air
----------------

I don't know why anyone wouldn't think that this thing couldn't be transmitted in air. We know that body fluids contain huge numbers of viral particles. We know that people sneeze and caugh. We know that sneezes and coughs project clouds of aerosolized particles of body fluids.

The reason why aerosol transmission has been downplayed is because unlike other (presumably well known) infectors, ebola is not believed to be able to enter the blood stream via the lungs. Other routes, like wiping your face and eyes with your hands, where both your face and hands could have been exposed to an aerosol spray from an ebola cough or sneeze, is highly likely.
Expand your moderator at work

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ

Note the edit on that site......
Editor’s note: this story has been amended to reflect that the primary source was submitted to and published by the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy; the research and findings reflected did not originate with CIDRAP and should not be attributed to CIDRAP.

Furthermore.........
The authors BELIEVE, so its not a known.........
If was indeed airborne, then a whole heck of others would be infected including the original victims entire family for example. Of course that is not direct evidence ;-P

Of course it would be silly to hide behind absolutes. In other words, we simply dont know what is going to happen tomorrow or in five years with regard to these things. Also perhaps there are various differing opinions on what constitutes airborne transmission.

Web page has not changed........yet.
»www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/tr ··· mission/

Nothing different here........
»www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/id-m ··· -eng.php

Finally.....
»www.cidrap.umn.edu/respo ··· smission

makes clear that the scientists that originated the article were actually talking about precautionary measures in case it was possible to have airborne transmission. I dont think that anyone can dispute that healthcare workers should have a minimum of precautionary measures, which include hazmat suits for both patients and healthcare workers. Until this is proven to be ineffective, especially due to the overwhelming lack of infection from all the exposed persons, over the last few weeks, the respiratory angle remains a belief and a theory.

sm5w2
Premium Member
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

sm5w2 to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
Man on plane flying from to Nigeria to JFK dies in his seat after vomiting profusely: »www.dailymail.co.uk/news ··· cdc.html

------
The 63-year-old, a U.S. citizen, died during flight from Lagos to New York. CDC and Port Authority boarded the Arik Air plane with 145 passengers. They confirmed after a short, 'cursory' test he did not have deadly virus . Door connecting the aircraft with the terminal was open the whole time.
------

And this is the take-home message for all of us:

------
forcing 145 worried passengers to remain on board.
------

Take note of how your rights and liberties are thrown in the garbage in situations like that. Gives me a good feeling to know how I'll be treated on a plane next time that happens. They do the same thing when there's a bomb threat - drive the plane to a distant part of the airfield and let it sit there for a while - with nobody allowed to leave the plane - just to see if the plane blows up.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1 to sm5w2

Premium Member

to sm5w2
Expanding on what Anav posted, I think this is very important:

Oct 16, 2014

On Sep 17, CIDRAP News, a service of the University of Minnesota's Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), published a guest commentary by Lisa M Brosseau, ScD, and Rachael Jones, PhD, titled "Health workers need optimal respiratory protection for Ebola." Dr. Brosseau is a Professor and Dr. Jones an Assistant Professor in the School of Public Health, Division of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, at the University of Illinois at Chicago.

The commentary addresses potential modes of transmission for Ebola in healthcare settings and discusses the implications for optimal respiratory protection for healthcare workers. CIDRAP concludes that the commentary is based on sound science and believes it is an important consideration in the safety of healthcare workers who provide care to Ebola patients.

Nearly one month after publication of the commentary, the websites Brietbart and The Inquisitr News published incorrect information concerning it. In an effort to correct misinformation, we want to state clearly that:

CIDRAP has not made claims that "Ebola is Airbone" or that "Ebola [is] Transmittable by Air."

....Transmission of Ebola must be considered in both the context of healthcare settings and within the general community. This commentary in question specifically addressed transmission risk within a healthcare setting and does not address community transmission.

»www.cidrap.umn.edu/respo ··· smission
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ

Ebola incubation period clarified by WHO

Just in case anyone missed it.....the WHO (World Health Organization) issued a press release the other day about the incubation period of Ebola.

95% infections occur within 21 days of exposure
98% of infections occur within 42 days of exposure

»www.who.int/mediacentre/ ··· 2014/en/

Recent studies conducted in West Africa have demonstrated that 95% of confirmed cases have an incubation period in the range of 1 to 21 days; 98% have an incubation period that falls within the 1 to 42 day interval.

According to WHO recommendations, health care workers who have attended patients or cleaned their rooms should be considered as “close contacts” and monitored for 21 days after the last exposure, even if their contact with a patient occurred when they were fully protected by wearing personal protective equipment.

For health care workers, the date of the “last infectious contact” is the day when the last patient in a health facility tests negative using a real-time reverse-transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ

The madness continues....

Ebola Fears Reach Pentagon After Woman Became Ill on Shuttle Bus

A huge Pentagon parking lot remains closed and cordoned off, and a bus full of Marines is temporarily quarantined as medical personnel attempt to determine why a woman who boarded the bus suddenly became ill. The woman, a private contractor for the Pentagon, told first responders she was recently in West Africa.

According to Pentagon sources the woman boarded the shuttle bus shortly before 10 a.m. to head for a change of command ceremony in Washington for the Marine Corps Commandant. The woman suddenly fell ill, got off the bus then passed out and vomited in the Pentagon parking lot. She was taken by ambulance to a medical facility for treatment including a blood test.

The shuttle bus had left the parking lot but when it reached the Marine Corps Barracks in Washington, everyone aboard was immediately quarantined while HAZMAT crews prepared to decontaminate the bus. The group has been transferred to another bus, but remains under quarantine.

---NBC News
»www.nbcnews.com/storylin ··· -n228301

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs

Re: Ebola incubation period clarified by WHO

said by MaynardKrebs:

Just in case anyone missed it.....the WHO (World Health Organization) issued a press release the other day about the incubation period of Ebola.

95% infections occur within 21 days of exposure
98% of infections occur within 42 days of exposure

»www.who.int/mediacentre/ ··· 2014/en/

Recent studies conducted in West Africa have demonstrated that 95% of confirmed cases have an incubation period in the range of 1 to 21 days; 98% have an incubation period that falls within the 1 to 42 day interval.

According to WHO recommendations, health care workers who have attended patients or cleaned their rooms should be considered as “close contacts” and monitored for 21 days after the last exposure, even if their contact with a patient occurred when they were fully protected by wearing personal protective equipment.

For health care workers, the date of the “last infectious contact” is the day when the last patient in a health facility tests negative using a real-time reverse-transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test.

Thanks for the read..
The date is fixed according to rigorous epidemiological criteria that include the date when the last case with a high-risk exposure completes 21 days of close medical monitoring and tests negative for the virus.

According to WHO recommendations, health care workers who have attended patients or cleaned their rooms should be considered as "close contacts" and monitored for 21 days after the last exposure, even if their contact with a patient occurred when they were fully protected by wearing personal protective equipment.

For health care workers, the date of the "last infectious contact" is the day when the last patient in a health facility tests negative using a real-time reverse-transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test.

For WHO to declare an Ebola outbreak over, a country must pass through 42 days, with active surveillance demonstrably in place, supported by good diagnostic capacity, and with no new cases detected. Active surveillance is essential to detect chains of transmission that might otherwise remain hidden.

So basically they use the 42 day period to then state that the crisis is closed (in other words no undetected flareups have occurred). Otherwise they would have to use an 84 day rule as someone could get the virus on day 41 etc............
Anav

Anav to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1

PX, if she stated she was recently in West Africa with those symptoms a precautionary measure is not madness its prudent. If I was on that bus, I would not want to possibly infect others. Its simple, the person is tested, not found to have Ebola, everybody gets sent home.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Oh, I agree, but where does this stop?

I never dreamed that there was so much visitation between those countries and the US.

We're really getting Ebola-overload.

-----

The sad thing is that this virus was originally spread with the best of intentions, by nuns giving vitamin injections.

The story is here:
»www.theguardian.com/worl ··· outbreak

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
If fear keeps rising, I should be able to get my spring break flight for cheeeeeap.
For once, I'm rooting for MSM panic inducing tripe. reporting.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

I just bought you a oneway ticket here. Only cost me $25 bucks.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· UMyfqVpM

I suspect you will have how the british say it. PRIV - A - CEE

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

What a pal!

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
And most of the media, ever so eager to get the most page hits or the most viewers, is complicit in spreading fear. How? By not qualifying what they are reporting regarding the risk of catching ebola. Many acolytes online aren't doing that either.
quote:
Politicians weighing in and demanding travel bans that all health experts agree are useless and unions claiming that health workers don’t get adequate training are not helping matters, Ropeik [risk perception expert] says.

“None of those mistakes tell us the system is not competent to stop this from becoming a public threat,” Ropeik said. “When you poison trust in the people who are supposed to keep us safe, our fear goes up.”

There’s another factor. Media, and many people in general, want to be the first to raise the warning about a new danger. “The social phenomenon is if you know first, you are helping protect the tribe,” Ropeik said. “It’s a form of empowerment and the sense of control is reassuring.”

But keeping an entire nation in a state of unnecessary frenzy can itself damage health. “I am kind of concerned that the anxiety over this that many people may experience may have more negative effects on them than any risk of catching Ebola,” Kapalka said. “There’s plenty of evidence of the negative effect of living in fear.”

Ropeik agrees. “The people who are fomenting excessive fears, both the critics of the government and the media, are threatening public health far more than Ebola,” he said.
»www.nbcnews.com/storylin ··· -n228331

From the same story:
quote:
And no one in casual contact with Duncan has become infected — including his fiancĂ©e Louise Troh, who stayed in her apartment with a sick Duncan for days, and who was forcibly kept there with soiled laundry for days by authorities afterwards.

Troh’s almost through with the 21-day incubation period for Ebola with no sign of infection. And she could not conceivably have been infectious to anyone else before becoming sick herself.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by digitalfutur:

And most of the media, ever so eager to get the most page hits or the most viewers, is complicit in spreading fear....

Down here, definitely.

Fox and MSNBC to make hay, and CNN to make desperately needed money.

CNN these days only makes a decent profit when a crisis is going on. Literally and seriously.

-----

You quoted NBC. Ironically NBC's Dr. Nancy Snyderman broke her own quarantine so she could get restaurant takeout.

In the process, she caused a maid to get fired.
»www.tmz.com/2014/10/15/d ··· rantine/

And people in Princeton NJ are putting up WANTED posters with Snyderman's name and photo!
»www.nj.com/mercer/index. ··· hil.html

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by EUS:

The disconnect between words and reality is getting larger.

Absolutely. There are a lot of ignorant knuckle-draggers out there who are convinced that this virus is airborne who are very much disconnected from reality.

i think the issue is people are trying read something that isn't there...for example, people may associate the search with some airborne concern, when in reality, it is quite possible the nurse went to the bathroom on the aircraft and perhaps some urine, feces or vomit may have "splashed" or have a residue there, where the next patron(s) may have come in contact with it...unfortunately, some people keep grasping to the airborne issue, despite that being the unlikely reason for why the airline wants to contact the people who were on the plane.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira

Premium Member

Maybe the nurse contracted the virus earlier somewhere removed from the plane . That had nothing to do with the Dallas guy who died.
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
Ebola diagnosis delayed after Air Canada refuses to transport blood sample

Air Canada refused to fly a blood specimen from a patient suspected of Ebola from Edmonton to Winnipeg last weekend, CBC News has learned.

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/e ··· .2803879
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Air Canada did not refuse to take the sample, they just need to be prepared before handling the sample. ...simple logic

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Um, it's a blood sample. What is there to prepare?

Responsible
@73.160.110.x

Responsible to Gone

Anon

to Gone
said by Gone:

There are a lot of ignorant knuckle-draggers out there who are convinced that this virus is airborne who are very much disconnected from reality.

And there are a lot of uneducated ostriches with their heads in the sand that can't understand the difference between aerosolized and airborne and that Ebola can be transmitted from a sneeze or cough and not have to be an airborne virus.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Responsible :

And there are a lot of uneducated ostriches with their heads in the sand that can't understand the difference between aerosolized and airborne and that Ebola can be transmitted from a sneeze or cough and not have to be an airborne virus.

Oh, I know the difference. Enough to know that what you are still saying is bullshit.