Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

1 edit

MacGyver

[DSL] RANT: Oh, the irony!

Check out these line stats. Notice that I'm on a 6 meg profile on ADSL2+. Why, you ask? Because my entire town is only qualified for 6 meg, but the CO is full of ADSL2+ equipment. It's been that way for four years now, still waiting for the qualification database maintained by Bell to be updated, with seemingly no other recourse. So that's all that any xDSL ISP including Bell can give me. Thanks to Teksavvy for at least trying to give me an upgrade.

Oh yeah, FTTH is available 500m away, presumably fed out of the same CO.

I HATE YOU, BELL!

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

You should at the very least be on 7meg profile to compensate for the overhead...

TSI should be able to get that raised as your line looks clean.

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe to MacGyver

Premium Member

to MacGyver
mmm yeah we ought to be able to do something about that
Aftcomet
join:2009-07-14
Mississauga, ON

Aftcomet to MacGyver

to MacGyver
Bell vs Rogers. There is no lesser evil. So if you can get a better service through Cable, do it. Why punish yourself like that? As long as you're with Teksavvy doesn't really matter.
i_pk_pjers_i
join:2007-04-20
none

i_pk_pjers_i

Actually, I would argue that Bell is less evil than Rogers, but not by much. At least Bell provides a stable, reliable connection if your line stats are good, unlike Rogers.

Angelo
The Network Guy
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18

Angelo to TSI Gabe

Premium Member

to TSI Gabe
i agree with gabe
jumpncrash
join:2014-06-01
Coteau-Du-Lac, QC

jumpncrash to MacGyver

to MacGyver
I'm in the exact same situation, when the tech came by to install he said I could be getting 25mbps. since I'm so close. Kind of a bummer really.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to MacGyver

MVM

to MacGyver
If you really do qualify for higher speeds (and you do) there are ways to get the Bell records for your address updated to reflect that.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver

And that would be...?

Calero27
join:2014-01-13
Chatham, ON

Calero27 to MacGyver

to MacGyver
If Legacy 6mb is all that is available in your area, that is a high as you will be able to get until FTTN becomes available. Even if your line can easily support more.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to MacGyver

MVM

to MacGyver
There are some Bell folks who hang around on DSLR who could do it, if not, TSI has the means to do it too, although they may have to escalate it.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre to MacGyver

Premium Member

to MacGyver
I just checked your line and you are one of those rare cases where we actually can't change your profile without opening a ticket.

We can always try a raise to best if you'd like?

Cheers,

Andre

MacGyver

Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

MacGyver

Yes, please, see what you can do. Although my hopes are fading. Based on various phone numbers and addresses I've tried qualifying in nearby towns which used to be elligible for 15/1 on bell.ca are now only qualified for 5/1. So it may be a matter of new Bell policy that they are not provisioning FTTN tiers even if it is perfectly technically feasible out of the CO.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

Ok. Let me see what I can do.
TSI Andre

TSI Andre to MacGyver

Premium Member

to MacGyver
Try now

MacGyver

Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

MacGyver

Click for full size

OK, now it looks like I'm on DSL 7/1. Hey, isn't that cheaper than 6/0.8

Noticed that the max speed the line is capable of dropped quite a bit. According to the modem, anyway.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

Yes/no. You are still on legacy as far as a profile goes. We just managed to be able to get your profile slightly higher.

MacGyver

Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

1 edit

MacGyver

Well this is certainly an improvement, particularly the upload speed which is much appreciated. Thanks Andre and Teksavvy!

EDIT: here's an IPv6 Speedtest just for kicks

TSI Andre
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

gord27
join:2005-05-01
Mississauga, ON

gord27 to MacGyver

to MacGyver
I feel your pain, though not to the same extent. I'm sitting on 25meg with a max attainable of 77meg and I can't get 50meg because it's not "available in my area".

Nothing Teksavvy can do. Such BS. I'll be switching to cable in the fall as the 150/15 service is available at my place. Just waiting for the new modems.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to MacGyver

Premium Member

to MacGyver
said by MacGyver:

Noticed that the max speed the line is capable of dropped quite a bit. According to the modem, anyway.

The numbers are purely theoretical according to the actual Sync/SNR/Attenuation, etc. So now your SNR is a bit lower because your sync is higher and SNR is lower...

You would probably be able to do 10mbit ADSL2+ if they were able to raise it that high...

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009 to MacGyver

to MacGyver
Weird that the attenuation increased like that.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Mike2009:

Weird that the attenuation increased like that.

That is weird, I didn't notice that...

MacGyver

Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

MacGyver

Apparently there are multiple non-linear relationships going on. Probably why RCO was removed from later Speedtouch firmware versions.

Still my main beef through this whole thing is that Bell seems to no longer be allowing ADSL2+ unless they install FTTN outside the CO. Even if you live next door to it.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by MacGyver:

Apparently there are multiple non-linear relationships going on. Probably why RCO was removed from later Speedtouch firmware versions.

Still my main beef through this whole thing is that Bell seems to no longer be allowing ADSL2+ unless they install FTTN outside the CO. Even if you live next door to it.

There are a lot of problems with Bell's prequal database. Sometimes it will report Host for people who are on a Remote. Sometimes it won't show anything higher than 6M available even if the line will support much higher (like in your case). It's a mess, they know it, and they're not fixing it. :-\
slvrsi
join:2009-09-08

slvrsi to MacGyver

to MacGyver
If your town has fibe(?) tv see if you can use the bell.ca chats to get you qualified for that. when that fails, ask them to put you on a waiting list or contact you when its available.

I did this when I found out that two streets down had 'high' speed and pretty much everywhere else. only within a 4-5 block radius did we not have that. Within 2-4 weeks of asking and waiting for it, I checked again and high speed was available. (although I was never contacted). Maybe coincidence that they installed a new CO; maybe not.. I don't know.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to MacGyver

to MacGyver
I don't think that is irony but unfortunate for sure.

Blob
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to slvrsi

to slvrsi
said by slvrsi:

Maybe coincidence that they installed a new CO

Bell has not built any new COs in decades, and never will again. Everything in the past 25 years or so have been remotes.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009 to MacGyver

to MacGyver
Have you rebooted the modem since the profile change. I one time had weird stats when Bell adjusted my profile but they fixed themself with a reboot.

MacGyver

Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

MacGyver

Click for full size
Yup, and I got this. Then I reset it again and got something slightly lower.