spc
Search similar:

uniqs
InternetJeff
I'm your huckleberry.
join:2001-09-25

InternetJeff

[Web Mail] Why are there ads?

Email is part of the service we get by paying for Internet. So, why are there ads in Web Mail?

I can understand a free provider plastering ads in the Web Mail interface, like Gmail or Yahoo. But why is this done to $paying$ BHN customers? We're already paying for the service, so it should not be necessary to harvest ad revenue by putting ads in our faces.

Suggestion: How about a nice clean Web Mail interface with no ads? We are paying customers, after all.

Jeff
esl1885
Premium Member
join:2013-10-03
Clearwater, FL

esl1885

Premium Member

Just use Adblock.

cbs
join:2014-02-11
Melbourne, FL

cbs

said by esl1885:

Just use Adblock.

I'm with InternetJeff on this one. As paying customers, we should not have to tolerate webmail ads and "sponsored links," nor should we be forced to install an ad blocker. Is this what Bright House and Road Runner had in mind when they promised us "exciting new features"?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to InternetJeff

MVM

to InternetJeff
said by InternetJeff:

So, why are there ads in Web Mail?

It is their nature.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to cbs

Premium Member

to cbs
said by cbs:

said by esl1885:

Just use Adblock.

I'm with InternetJeff on this one. As paying customers, we should not have to tolerate webmail ads and "sponsored links," nor should we be forced to install an ad blocker. Is this what Bright House and Road Runner had in mind when they promised us "exciting new features"?

There is a simple solution to this... use a proper mail client instead of webmail. Problem solved...
cyong
join:2013-05-31
Winter Park, FL
pfSense SG-2440
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

1 edit

cyong to InternetJeff

to InternetJeff
Product integration. It has been a part of our lives for a while, and will continue to be.

»youtu.be/d36wUmJGzvA

Look at this way, if we allow our webhost to place ads in our email, the profits from this ad placement would (hopefully) be used to provide the customers with subsidized rates. (Translation: If we are going to be forced exposure to ads, can we at least get a discount for the privilege of being advertised to?)

Advertising is what allows startups like youtube (when it was in its infancy) to offset cost for starting a free service. But you are right, we are paying customers..... So why are there ads when we watch TV????

I listen to free webcasts, but the only reason they are free is because someone is paying the bills. Those people are the sponsors of the shows. They pay the show producers for the privilege of being promoted on air, and that allows the producers to expand their content offerings.

No one likes advertising, but as you go about your internet life, think about how few sites you are actually paying for.... I am pro advertisers, but we need to make sure there are respected privacy boundaries. (Not to mention just straight up banning anyone who uses those annoying video ads that auto play with audio when you are reading a news article.)
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to InternetJeff

Premium Member

to InternetJeff
Again.... There is a simple solution to this... use a proper mail client instead of webmail. Problem solved...
--
Michael_D
join:2013-02-17
Indianapolis, IN

Michael_D to InternetJeff

to InternetJeff
said by InternetJeff:

Easy answer: To make BHN shareholders richer.

Beachie
Where is Shelly Miscavige?
join:2001-07-12
Saint Petersburg, FL

Beachie

said by Michael_D:

What shareholders?
WinstonFl
join:2003-11-01
Deltona, FL

WinstonFl to InternetJeff

to InternetJeff
Hey, now there are lots of sites that put ads even though you pay for them. I pay for access to the Orlando Sentinel yet they have many ads and auto-ad videos that pop up every time I view it. Also even if you pay for Hulu Plus, you still have to watch commercials. When you 'pay' to see a movie in the theater, you still have to watch the coke commercial before the movie starts. I am sure they are used to offset some costs and make some extra money. While the ads can be annoying, there are alternatives not to see them!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Michael_D

Premium Member

to Michael_D
said by Michael_D:

said by InternetJeff:

Bright House Networks is not a public company... And you do realize that those ads are PPC right... just don't click on them....easy peasy....

geo44
join:2013-03-20
Saint Petersburg, FL

geo44 to InternetJeff

to InternetJeff
I use adblock extensively. Makes for faster page loading as well.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
Webmail is a perfectly acceptable way of accessing e-mail. If Brighthouse chooses to tell people not to use it, perhaps they shouldn't offer it in the first place (?) Not everyone wants to use Thunderbird, Outlook, etc. This is a backwards way of answering this question and you would have likely been better off simply not responding at all. I prefer webmail interfaces in most cases over many mail clients.
gigahurtz

gigahurtz to geo44

Premium Member

to geo44
AdBlock is one of the best extensions for any browser that's currently available. I love it!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to WinstonFl

Premium Member

to WinstonFl
said by WinstonFl:

Hey, now there are lots of sites that put ads even though you pay for them. I pay for access to the Orlando Sentinel yet they have many ads and auto-ad videos that pop up every time I view it. Also even if you pay for Hulu Plus, you still have to watch commercials. When you 'pay' to see a movie in the theater, you still have to watch the coke commercial before the movie starts. I am sure they are used to offset some costs and make some extra money. While the ads can be annoying, there are alternatives not to see them!

What most don't get is you aren't funding anything if you don't click on them so the simple answer is ignore them...don't click on them and there is nothing to worry about. These aren't CPM they are PPC meanign you have to click the ad before any revenue is generated so if it really bothers you that much simply don't click...

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

2 recommendations

gigahurtz

Premium Member

What you aren't getting is that PAYING customers don't want to be bombarded with ADS when they're viewing their e-mail on service they PAY monthly for.

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

2 recommendations

mixdup to Beachie

to Beachie
said by Beachie:

said by Michael_D:

What shareholders?

The Newhouse family.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to geo44

Premium Member

to geo44
said by geo44:

Does it tend to break pages with lots of ads?

DCELL
CC/Nature Coast
join:2010-06-17
Inglis, FL

DCELL to InternetJeff

to InternetJeff
I think the ads have sorta always been there, but not as obvious, or "intrusive" until lately. Seems like there's more Flash Player/other content on the ads on the right side of the page, and there are ad links above between the buttons and the email listings-where there were none before. Don't use webmail much anymore-because we both have smart phones, but used to use it quite a bit, at least when we were away from the house. Has anyone gotten IMAP to work right?

geo44
Saint Petersburg, FL

geo44 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by geo44:

Does it tend to break pages with lots of ads?

I haven't noticed any problems with it in that regard
It seems to keep a blank placeholder for some of those ads
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to InternetJeff

Premium Member

to InternetJeff
Okay so it does break the page by filling in the blanks with blanks...better solution...tune the ads out...don't click on them....life is grand OR better solution use an email client instead of webmail You get the same portability (if setup right) and far more features and control.

geo44
Saint Petersburg, FL

geo44

said by BHNtechXpert:

Okay so it does break the page by filling in the blanks with blanks...better solution...tune the ads out...don't click on them....life is grand OR better solution use an email client instead of webmail You get the same portability (if setup right) and far more features and control.

I honestly don't understand how leaving them there is better. some ads are "In your face" with flashing. Adblock is how I tune them out

paradigmfl
join:2005-07-16

1 recommendation

paradigmfl to Michael_D

to Michael_D
said by Michael_D:

said by InternetJeff:

Or it could be used to pay another $2.5 million to the GOP.
quote:
City Zip State Donation date Amount Memo
Bright House Networks, LLC East Syracuse 13057 NY 08/31/2012 $1,364,647.49 * In-Kind-> telecommunications
Bright House Networks, LLC East Syracuse 13057 NY 02/08/2012 $1,000,000
Bright House Networks, LLC East Syracuse 13057 NY 05/31/2012 $73,052.9 * In-Kind-> telecommunications
Bright House Networks, LLC East Syracuse 13057 NY 04/30/2012 $22,297.9 * In-Kind-> telecommunications
Bright House Networks, LLC East Syracuse 13057 NY 12/31/2011 $17,922.45 * In-Kind-> telecommunications
Bright House Networks, LLC East Syracuse 13057 NY 08/31/2012 $10,000
Bright House Networks, LLC East Syracuse 13057 NY 09/18/2012 $10,000
Bright House Networks, LLC East Syracuse 13057 NY 02/29/2012 $9,678.8 * In-Kind-> telecommunications
Bright House Networks, LLC East Syracuse 13057 NY 03/30/2012 $9,535.36 * In-Kind-> telecommunications
Bright House Networks, LLC East Syracuse 13057 NY 01/31/2012 $2,865.1 * In-Kind-> telecom services

»tampabay.com/tbprojects/ ··· ors.html

DCELL
CC/Nature Coast
join:2010-06-17
Inglis, FL

DCELL to geo44

to geo44
said by geo44:

That's why I don't like those ads on the right. They were not like that until recently. It's easy to tune out a simple picture, an obnoxious, jumping around flash ad is not.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

gigahurtz to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
I've been using AdBlock for years and it never 'breaks the page'. Enough with your ridiculous statements. You are not in a place to tell someone how they should be accessing their e-mail. Many people prefer webmail for various reasons (centralized contact list, synced e-mail, etc). It's a service offered by BHN so clearly BHN understands that it's used.

The fact of the matter is that BHN is throwing ads in customers faces and making MORE money off of the customer than they already are. You can ignore my posts all you want but you can't ignore the FACTS
Expand your moderator at work
gigahurtz

1 recommendation

gigahurtz to paradigmfl

Premium Member

to paradigmfl

Re: [Web Mail] Why are there ads?

said by paradigmfl:

said by Michael_D:

said by InternetJeff:

Or it could be used to pay another $2.5 million to the GOP.
quote:
City Zip State Donation date Amount Memo
Bright House Networks, LLC East Syracuse 13057 NY 08/31/2012 $1,364,647.49 * In-Kind-> telecommunications
Bright House Networks, LLC East Syracuse 13057 NY 02/08/2012 $1,000,000
Bright House Networks, LLC East Syracuse 13057 NY 05/31/2012 $73,052.9 * In-Kind-> telecommunications
Bright House Networks, LLC East Syracuse 13057 NY 04/30/2012 $22,297.9 * In-Kind-> telecommunications
Bright House Networks, LLC East Syracuse 13057 NY 12/31/2011 $17,922.45 * In-Kind-> telecommunications
Bright House Networks, LLC East Syracuse 13057 NY 08/31/2012 $10,000
Bright House Networks, LLC East Syracuse 13057 NY 09/18/2012 $10,000
Bright House Networks, LLC East Syracuse 13057 NY 02/29/2012 $9,678.8 * In-Kind-> telecommunications
Bright House Networks, LLC East Syracuse 13057 NY 03/30/2012 $9,535.36 * In-Kind-> telecommunications
Bright House Networks, LLC East Syracuse 13057 NY 01/31/2012 $2,865.1 * In-Kind-> telecom services

»tampabay.com/tbprojects/ ··· ors.html

I wonder if we will be seeing a 'GOP' fee on our bills soon enough?

paradigmfl
join:2005-07-16

paradigmfl to DCELL

to DCELL
said by DCELL:

said by geo44:

That's why I don't like those ads on the right. They were not like that until recently. It's easy to tune out a simple picture, an obnoxious, jumping around flash ad is not.

Plus flash ads use up a lot more resources. On old computers a flash ad could cause the cpu to max out. The computer then becomes unusable until the ad is closed. Adblock helps as do some other extensions.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to geo44

Premium Member

to geo44
said by geo44:

said by BHNtechXpert:

I honestly don't understand how leaving them there is better. some ads are "In your face" with flashing. Adblock is how I tune them out

I like to see pages in their original formats....not with holes in them even nicely formatted holes. It's a personal preference thing. The ads are there and like commercials I just ignore them....it really isn't that difficult.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

1 recommendation

gigahurtz

Premium Member

I like to see pages without being bombarded with ads that take up a good portion of the screen. It really isn't that difficult.