spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Paully13x
@104.34.121.x

Paully13x

Anon

How do you get 300mbps to other rooms without running cable

I recently got the 300/20 service in Los Angeles, but I am not able to get 300 speed except when connected with cat cable. I have tried the PowerLine 600mps and outlets in the same room as the router only get me ~150. That is my current solution, just wondering what others are doing.

Thanks,

Paul
expertzero
join:2014-06-28

expertzero

I'm not an expert but you may need to get a AC router to get those speeds

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to Paully13x

Premium Member

to Paully13x
I spent a Saturday crawling under the house and ran CAT5 cable to 2 bedrooms and to where the TV is for my media center PC. Total cost, less then $75 (I already had the 1 Gbps switch and a cat5 tool) and about 4 hours of work.

I did it the right way: I bought electrical boxes and cat5 face plates, so all I have to do is plug in. 1 Gbps to the 2 bedrooms and the TV, so when 300 Mbps gets here, I will be ready.

There really is no other way to guarantee 300 Mbps. There are some routers that have multiple antenna's and outputs that in THEORY should reach 300 Mbps, but in reality my wife's laptop gets somewhere around 150 Mbps when copying files from the 1 Gbps network. (On 802.11n). You can get an 802.11ac router, but that's going to cost you more then wired probably (since you will also need an adapter), and you will have no guarantee you will reach the speed in other rooms.

If you want full speed of 300 Mbps in a different room, I'd say it is worth it to run the cable either under the house (if you have the crawl space) or in the attic space, cut a hole in the wall for the face plate, and lower the cable into the wall from the attic (will probably need to drill) or drill a small hole in the bottom if coming from the crawl space. In my opinion, it's going to be a saturday morning well spent.
mikeluscher159
join:2011-09-04

mikeluscher159 to Paully13x

to Paully13x
If you really need full speeds to something in another room (Smart TV/Game Console) or just a ethernet wall outlet to plug something into

If you know your way around a drill, and your house, you could probably just run CAT5e to wall plates wherever you want them.

What kinda distances we talking here? What kinda attic/basement accessibility we talking about.

Suit Up
join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C7

Suit Up to maartena

to maartena
said by maartena:

I did it the right way

Well, you are supposed to use cat5e or better with gigabit ethernet.

You can, of course, get by with cat5 and it's actually what I'm using since I installed it before upgrading to gigabit... I actually installed it back when 10BASE-T was the norm and WiFi didn't exist to share the ISDN connection at my house.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

CAT5 will provide enough shielding to support 1Gbps if you keep the distances short. We have about 200 workstations at the office on CAT5 and they sync up 1Gbps just fine on 50-100 foot runs.
mikeluscher159
join:2011-09-04

mikeluscher159

Understood. But today, the cost differential is next to nothing for 5e, it would be wise to future proof at current price differentials.

jacko15
@174.100.251.x

jacko15

Anon

For a permanent installation, I'm surprised no one has mentioned CAT6. Really not much more expensive, and the way bandwidth is increasing, why not.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
Orange, CA

maartena to Suit Up

Premium Member

to Suit Up
said by Suit Up:

said by maartena:

I did it the right way

Well, you are supposed to use cat5e or better with gigabit ethernet.

Actually, I used CAT6. I have just worked with CATx type networks for so long I still refer to anything with 8 wires to CAT5. My mistake.
maartena

maartena to mikeluscher159

Premium Member

to mikeluscher159
said by mikeluscher159:

If you really need full speeds to something in another room (Smart TV/Game Console) or just a ethernet wall outlet to plug something into

If you know your way around a drill, and your house, you could probably just run CAT5e to wall plates wherever you want them.

What kinda distances we talking here? What kinda attic/basement accessibility we talking about.

Another way of going about it is using an existing coax run. If there is a coax cable coming in to the room you want to have the Ethernet cable at, you can attach both an Ethernet cable AND a new coax cable (with e.g. tight wire around it) and pull from the other side. And voila, new coax run AND new Ethernet run at the same time. You may have to do that trick again reversed to get the Ethernet cable to close to where you want. You can then buy two face plates at home depot that have a coax AND a Ethernet connection, and that way you will have a Ethernet connection between two coaxial points in your house. Since the modem is connected to coax, chances are you can easily route your way to the modem, by pulling the Ethernet along with the coax cable.

If you don't want to use new coax cable, you can also use a guide wire: Pull the coax cable with guide wire attached all the way back to where you can add an Ethernet cable, and then pull both wires back.

I had to do it that way in my rental apartment, as I wasn't really allowed to bust open walls all that much. (Although I did anyways, as the coax cable just came out of a small hole in the wall, and I decided to put in a face plate.) I never told my landlord, but when he saw it when I did the final walk through with him upon leaving, I told him what I had done and showed him the two ethernet lines I ran from where the modem came in to the living room and one bedroom, and he liked it, and considered it an improvement, as now he could add "ethernet networked" to the description for the next renter.

You also have to understand that this was in the 802.11b days, and 5.5 Mbps (11 Mbps half duplex) was about as fast as I could get my wireless to work at the time, which really wasn't working for my internal file transfers.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to maartena

Premium Member

to maartena
How do you wire your house with cat 5 or cat 6. because I get worse performance on 5 ghz than 2.4 ghz.  I'm planning to do it and I don't know how to.

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc to Paully13x

Premium Member

to Paully13x
Asus AC68U router.

Suit Up
Los Angeles, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C7

Suit Up to OpTiC

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

How do you wire your house with cat 5 or cat 6. because I get worse performance on 5 ghz than 2.4 ghz.  I'm planning to do it and I don't know how to.

Have you ever worked with phone cable? It's pretty much the same thing, just on steroids. You need access to either crawl space under the house or attic (depending how your house was built and where the wires currently run). You buy a spool of Cat5e or Cat6 (You can find it at lots of places Frys, Home Depot, etc). Then decide where you want to run it, it's easiest if you use already existing spot like where Coax comes in or where the phone wire comes in. Depending on final location, you can buy faceplates with Coax + RJ45 (ethernet) or RJ11 (phone) + RJ45 that'll replace the current one. You can also find modular ones that let you put whatever you want int them, but I've found those to be prone to popping out of the faceplate causing you to have to remove the faceplate to put them back in, so if you don't need more than just the 2 items, I'd suggest avoiding them. Then you just run the wire like maartena described between the two locations, and wire it in to the faceplate following it's color coded guide. Then plug in ethernet cables into the faceplate and into the desired devices.

jacko15
@174.100.251.x

jacko15 to OpTiC

Anon

to OpTiC
"How do you wire your house with cat 5 or cat 6. because I get worse performance on 5 ghz than 2.4 ghz. I'm planning to do it and I don't know how to."

»lifehacker.com/how-to-wi ··· 80020760

Suit Up
Los Angeles, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C7

Suit Up

said by jacko15 :

"How do you wire your house with cat 5 or cat 6. because I get worse performance on 5 ghz than 2.4 ghz. I'm planning to do it and I don't know how to."

»lifehacker.com/how-to-wi ··· 80020760

That one's really overkill. You don't need 4 wires to each room. I guess if you've got a big spool of Cat5e or Cat6, you might as well use as much of it as you can. But it could be intimidating to someone new to it to run it like that.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
Orange, CA

maartena to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

You buy a roll of cat6 cable at home depot. If it is just 1 link you need you can probably buy a standard size cable as well, or have them measure cable from the cable rack. You buy connectors, and you need a special tool to "crimp" the wires into the connector. You can find the diagrams as for which color goes in which spot online easily. Get about 1cm of wires out from the cable husk, and cut off 1-2mm once you stretched the wires to make them all equally lined up. Then push em in to the connector, and crimp it. If you use a wall plate, its easier. You just have to insert the 8 wires into the 8 holes and push down a little clip.

There are better guides then what I can type online though.... it takes a little practice, and at first you may fuck up a few connectors, so buy a box of 10 or 25 just in case.

Suit Up
Los Angeles, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C7

Suit Up

said by maartena:

buy connectors, and you need a special tool to "crimp" the wires into the connector.

You shouldn't need to do that at all if you buy the coax+rs45 faceplate.

You either find the old style like this:

Which only requires a wire stripper and a screwdriver

Or the new style like this (couldn't find a picture with it integrated into the plate, but it's the same concept):

That doesn't require any tools, other than a wire cutter to trim off the excess.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to OpTiC

MVM

to OpTiC
For the ends, I would recommend "mud rings". The link shows metal; Home Depot should also have them in orange vinyl.

As you can see, I used the blue vinyl boxes. Big mistake as it was harder to work the cable in such tight quarters. They are best left for their intended purpose: 110/220V electrical.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

As you can see, I used the blue vinyl boxes. Big mistake as it was harder to work the cable in such tight quarters. They are best left for their intended purpose: 110/220V electrical.

Yes, use the open-back orange ones that are meant for low voltage.

»www.homedepot.com/p/Carl ··· 02077426

jacko15
@174.100.251.x

jacko15

Anon

My original link was to the first google result for the question. I'll admit it was overkill. But the purpose was to show how much of this information is already available on the net.
91862239 (banned)
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

91862239 (banned) to maartena

to maartena
why spend all that money on oudated cat5 cable when you can now get cat7 cable ?

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to Suit Up

Premium Member

to Suit Up
If I want 4 ethernet ports I would put 1 port then put a switch for convenience.

AMDUSER
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,

AMDUSER to djrobx

Premium Member

to djrobx
I've used that before for cable outlets...
In a pinch, I've used a 1 gang, old work box.. and used a saw to cut the back off.
jh2010
join:2009-09-03
Brooklyn, NY

jh2010 to Paully13x

to Paully13x
The pictures above look like cat5 or cat5e connectors(on the face plate). It is very hard to terminate your own wires to the Cat6 Specs. You need to keep the pair twists all the way to the connectors.

Also, if you can't run twisted pair, you have coax in place and you only need 100-200Mb/s, then consider using a MOCA Bridge. I used one when we had an apartment(and could not run my own Cat5/6 cables) and it worked well with TWC. You can use ebay Actiontec routes(about $40 each) or buy kits for less than $150. This is not as fast as CAT5/6(1gb/s) but most devices can't even use more than about 100Mb/s. There is a little added latency with MOCA(1-2ms).

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
Orange, CA

maartena to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

Yeah I made the same mistake. That was fine for the 2 bedrooms where I needed them (just one of those connectors, and the faceplate) but on my router side I have 4 connectors (and 2 open on the 6 port) and it got REALLY crowded back in there. Lesson learned, but hey.... It all works!

I even hung my switch on the wall and made really short wires to connect to it. I have 4 connections in the wall near the switch/router/modem, but only 3 are "live" (2 bedrooms, and behind the TV). The 3d one is a cable i put in for the far bedroom, but I never finished that nor do I never expect needing it. But since I was crawling under the house, I ran the cable from one side to the other anyways so I had it "done", and just left the last bit rolled up under the house. If I do ever need ethernet in that bedroom, it's not going to be a hard job anymore.
maartena

maartena to Suit Up

Premium Member

to Suit Up
said by Suit Up:

said by maartena:

buy connectors, and you need a special tool to "crimp" the wires into the connector.

That doesn't require any tools, other than a wire cutter to trim off the excess.

Yes, I used the bottom ones on your picture everywhere. But I did also make wires to connect between the wall plate and the switch, and the TV room in my case didn't have an option for a face plate without removing a HUGE piece of furniture.... so I opted for a tiny hole in the corner instead and ran the cable straight to my media center PC.
jh2010
join:2009-09-03
Brooklyn, NY

jh2010 to Paully13x

to Paully13x
The older one(that only requires a screwdriver and wire cutters) would be lucky to support 10Mb/s. The twisted pairs are not continuous. It would suffer from NEXT. It may work for a while but would be susceptible to noise. It would probably be good enough for a phone line.

Suit Up
Los Angeles, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C7

Suit Up

said by jh2010:

The older one(that only requires a screwdriver and wire cutters) would be lucky to support 10Mb/s. The twisted pairs are not continuous. It would suffer from NEXT. It may work for a while but would be susceptible to noise. It would probably be good enough for a phone line.

I have one of the older ones and it does gigabit just fine. Just don't wire it like an idiot.
jpatton1979
join:2011-08-10
Louisville, KY
Pace 5268AC
Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

jpatton1979 to 91862239

to 91862239
Not sure if you're trolling or being serious.

1000 ft. spool of Cat5e - ~$100.
1000 ft. spool of Cat6 - ~$150.
1000 ft. spool of Cat7 - ~$500.

Unless all of your connections will be 10GbE (NICs, Switches, Routers, etc.), Cat6 or even Cat5e will work just fine.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by jpatton1979:

Not sure if you're trolling or being serious.

Read some of his posts and it will be obvious.

Hob