Search similar:

uniqs

PatPatate
join:2008-02-10
Sainte-Julie, QC

2 edits

PatPatate

Cogeco Internet issues in St-Hyacinthe area

Hi, am I the only one who keeps having some kind of mini outages with their Internet connection?

What I mean by mini outage is that the modem and router stays connected, there's no issue on this side. The Cogeco.ca website will work perfectly and load instantly. Google will often work fine too but not all the time (I suppose Cogeco have a local Google cache?) Both usually answer to pings properly.

All other websites won't load or answer to pings.

Everything always come back to normal after a few minutes. Usually these mini outages last between 1 and 3 minutes, but this morning it lasted for a good 15 minutes.

Edit : Also, I never had that kind of issue before when I was with ElectronicBox / Videotron. Sadly at my new house there's no alternative to Cogeco.
Mokmo
join:2005-02-03
Saint-Georges, QC

Mokmo

Re: Cogeco Internet sucks in St-Hyacinthe area

check the error code your browser gives you, this morning it seems to be the DNS having hiccups in Quebec. You can always switch one of your DNS server IP settings to one of Google's (8.8.8.8) and it solved my problem this morning.

(just had same problem)

PatPatate
Sainte-Julie, QC

1 edit

PatPatate

I'm not sure about the error message from the browser, it simply kept trying to load.

Also I doubt that the issues I had could be fixed by changing the DNS server. I was browsing a few websites this morning when the problems started. When I sent a ping to these website I could see the IP address in the command line utility. That means the IP was already in my computer's cache.

But now that you talk about changing the DNS server that may be one of the issues I had some other times. Some website seems to take a few seconds to start loading, but after that they are always quick. It really sounds like the DNS server was having issues.
Mokmo
Saint-Georges, QC

Mokmo to PatPatate

to PatPatate
worst case put google's dns as secondary, so when Cogeco's auto-assigned servers fail you have a backup.

PatPatate
Sainte-Julie, QC

PatPatate

Actually after running DNS Benchmark I selected a Level 3 DNS as my primary server and an OpenDNS server as my secondary.

I'll see how it goes in the next few days.

Cogeco_Asa
Ignorance is bliss
join:2005-08-17
Trois-Rivieres, QC

Cogeco_Asa to PatPatate

to PatPatate
There was a reported Internet slowdown outage this morning (definatly not due to DNS servers) that lasted approx 20 minutes.

There is no standing issues with the DNS servers as far as I can see.

If you're seeing this often it is not normal; I can have a look if you want, just send me your modem's mac in PM.

Farchord
Lost somewhere.
join:2004-08-28
Shawinigan, QC

Farchord

said by Cogeco_Asa:

There was a reported Internet slowdown outage this morning (definatly not due to DNS servers) that lasted approx 20 minutes.

There is no standing issues with the DNS servers as far as I can see.

If you're seeing this often it is not normal; I can have a look if you want, just send me your modem's mac in PM.

Oh so that's why there was like a 50%+ packet loss.... Good to know!
Mokmo
Saint-Georges, QC

Mokmo to PatPatate

to PatPatate
Yup, big enough for Canoe and TVA to mention it. guess it wasn't the DNS, but my error code on chrome gave me that...