All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tagmct
join:2014-07-30

tagmct

Latency using specific ISP

Netblazr in Boston, MA. Any users out there? They use Radio signals as opposed to cables.

Only other option is Comcast and I really don't want Comcast.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

I have a wireless ISP at my cottage and the latency is so-so (and supposedly good for a WISP) but it's nowhere near as good as my wired ISP at my house.

Maybe the better option here is to find a Comcast or ADSL wholesaler.

Try punching your zip code in here:

»/search

And see what wired options come up. Wireless internet is generally not known to have good latency.

EQ
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212 to tagmct

to tagmct
For WISPs it depends on the company, some have better latency than others due to how they have their stuff set up. I use wireless and get 60-80ms ping time unless its to like Europe or something, but there are some that get a couple hundred.
tagmct
join:2014-07-30

tagmct

well, they claim to have a better latency than Comcast.

Their towers are pretty close in the area which is why it could be reliable.

Still would like to see if anyone actually uses this same ISP.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

Try calling them, they may supply a connection to a local library that you can test out for yourself or be able to tell you where you can try it. IIRC cable usually has a ~100ms ping,

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen

Premium Member

said by me1212:

IIRC cable usually has a ~100ms ping,

Interesting....

A lot of the clients in the local area on my game servers have either Comcast or Wide Open West who ping 30ms or lower. In most cases it's under 20ms.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

How close are they to you? I'm going off what my friends and family with cable tell me about their gaming experiences, lots of them play on servers on the coast and we are in the midwest so that may be part of it.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

1 edit

Cthen

Premium Member

Of course distance is the factor, not the service (unless the isp sucks). Big difference there in situations.

In the case of the OP, I would suggest calling Comcast to ask them if they still have their 30 day service trial. Any rep from any isp is going to claim to have anything better than their competitors. That way they can see for themselves which is better rather than taking a sales rep's word for it.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium Member
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT

Moos

Premium Member

I use Comcast and I average around 40-50ms ping on everything I play. They pretty much have a monopoly on internet in my area so I can't compare it with much but the internet service has been good and reliable for me. They have horribad customer service but luckily I have not had to call them for a few years. Just thought I'd ad some info.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael

Premium Member

said by Moos:

(Comcast) pretty much has a monopoly on internet

Fix'd.

@OP

In a large metropolitan area, such as Boston, WISPs are going to have issues with interference from other signals (radio, other people using the WISP, and etc). Unless your are close to the transmitter, you are going to have some packet loss and interference (and even then, it will still be so-so). While you may not like Comcast, your only options are to either a) use it and just deal or b) become your own ISP (which is impractical).

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Tirael:

While you may not like Comcast, your only options are to either a) use it and just deal or b) become your own ISP (which is impractical).

There must be a couple of Comcast resellers that will either get the OP a better price, better service or both.

In Canada, there are a number of IISPs that offer wholesale internet using last mile access from either the local Telco or Cableco