All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
XPSTester
join:2013-09-24
Montreal, QC

XPSTester

Bell Fibe TV PICTURE QUALITY compared to others?

Please share what is Bell Fibe TV picture quality compared to other sources?
Especially when compared to:
- Videotron cable
- Bell Satellite
- Internet TV (Acanac, VMedia and others)

I am planning to switch from Videotron and would be unhappy if the signal was worse...

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

It's not worse. It'll most likely be considerably better.

magictoaster
@24.37.17.x

magictoaster

Anon

If it can help you decide: I just made the switch from Bell Fibe to Videotron NG (yesteday) and I find that the image quality is equivalent for some channels but absolutely worst (on Videotron) for others.

I did not check every channel side-by-side but I find it sufficient to go back to Bell (that and the fact that the TMN package was supposed to be available all in HD on Videotron and is not).
NGPixel
join:2014-04-20
Canada

NGPixel to XPSTester

to XPSTester
I find the picture quality slightly better on Bell Fibe compared to Videotron.
XPSTester
Montreal, QC

XPSTester

said by NGPixel:

I find the picture quality slightly better on Bell Fibe compared to Videotron.

From your own experience? If yes, then it is great news! Thank you NGPixel!!!

NB
@24.37.41.x

NB

Anon

I switched from Videotron + Bell satellite and have noticed an improvement with fiber.

rewket
Premium Member
join:2003-08-21
Longueuil, QC

rewket

Premium Member

geez videotron is 480p?

anytime something moves fast on fibe its all blury on 720p. Terrible quality.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

I suggest if you're noticing this issue, you should adjust your cmr.
That's not a fibe issue, it's a TV issue if you see blurring like that.

Wo1f
join:2007-10-02
Montreal, QC

Wo1f to XPSTester

to XPSTester
We did the switch recently (3 months ago) from Videotron to Bell Fibe TV and we are completly satisfied with the service. The picture quality (contrast, depth and colors) is noticeably better with Bell Fibe. "Le plaisir des yeux..." would sum up our experience very well. We could debate the cost back & forth but I'm convinced that you won't be dissapointed by the (undeniable) superior image quality.

Good luck!
lukasc
join:2013-03-01
Canada

lukasc to XPSTester

to XPSTester
You can literally see the pixels on Bell Fibe TV and it gets even worse when there's fast motion. I'm not sure why it looks so good in Bell's stores though, I guess they give their TVs a better backhaul to deceive customers

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by lukasc:

I'm not sure why it looks so good in Bell's stores though, I guess they give their TVs a better backhaul to deceive customers

Or they just have better TVs.
XPSTester
Montreal, QC

XPSTester to lukasc

to lukasc
said by lukasc:

You can literally see the pixels on Bell Fibe TV

Is your tv an LCD/LED one?

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

Mine all are, and they're flawless. Unless of course you watch SD, SD looks like shit.
lukasc
join:2013-03-01
Canada

lukasc to Gone

to Gone
No amount of TVs with superb technical specs can make a 720p stream with a bitrate of 500kB/s look good
lukasc

lukasc to XPSTester

to XPSTester
It is LCD
XPSTester
Montreal, QC

XPSTester to Nitra

to Nitra
Nitra, I was concerned for lukasc, since he complained I believe his tv is an LCD...

I do not absolutely worry for myself: I have Pioneer Kuro plasma and watching anything on it is like looking through a (sparkly clean) window ) Even 360p YouTube videos :=)

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to lukasc

Premium Member

to lukasc
said by lukasc:

You can literally see the pixels on Bell Fibe TV and it gets even worse when there's fast motion. I'm not sure why it looks so good in Bell's stores though, I guess they give their TVs a better backhaul to deceive customers

I've got a Fibe TV and I've got no issues with it what so ever, if you're getting pixelization call in and get them to dispatch a tech for it.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to lukasc

Premium Member

to lukasc
said by lukasc:

No amount of TVs with superb technical specs can make a 720p stream with a bitrate of 500kB/s look good

VC1 and H.264 at 7Mbit/s looks fantastic compared to MPEG2 even in 1080i, let alone 720p.

If you have issues do what JCohen said and call about them. If that still doesn't fix it, buy a better TV.

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra to lukasc

to lukasc
You are not correct, the nominal Bitrate formFibeTV is 6.5megabits on the 720p stream. It holds slightly over 10 on the 1080p VOD content.

And yes, 6.5 megabit is plenty for an MPEG4 stream.

Some channels do have encoding issues, it's not from Bell, it's the source they receive from causing the issue. If you're doing tests, use TSN or TMN.
Nitra

Nitra to XPSTester

to XPSTester
Very nice sir, those Kuros are very nice sets!

I've got 3 Sammy's, 8000 series, various sizes.
XPSTester
Montreal, QC

XPSTester

Also many people use wireless connections and their speed/qulity obviusly gets affected

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

Not the case with wireless fibe receivers, they are on a dedicated channel, they don't share.

@Gone, can't wait for HEVC, that will be a game changer for IPTV
XPSTester
Montreal, QC

XPSTester to Nitra

to Nitra
said by Nitra:

Very nice sir, those Kuros are very nice sets!

Thank you Nitra, since we bought six years ago never one day we regretted it! WAF is so high that she became addicted to it

Since I learned that now even Samsung is going to stop plasma production, I went a store few weeks ago determined to buy another set.

Armed with my USB key with videos (I know very well) ranging from crappy 360p through 480p, 720p to good looking 1080p, I tested several TVs on the same day in the same store to see their respective video processing/noise reduction, etc.

I was preset to buy either the Panasonic or Samsung plasma...

However, I could not believe my eyes but had to accept what I saw with my own eyes, and not reading someone elses review:

From the worst to the best looking images:

5th place: Panasonic LCD TV AX800U
4th place: Samsung F8000 LCD
3rd place: 60 "Panasonic Plasma ZT60
2nd place: 64" Samsung plasma F8500
1st place: 65" Sony XBR-X900B
and even much better and better looking set
the unbelievable image quality
1st place: 65" Sony XBR-X950B
LOOKED GREAT!!!

From my professional experience, ANY TV looks good with a GREAT image quality (i.e. Blu-ray); what makes a difference is how they process and show when the quality of input is lower.

As I told the salespeople in the store, that what makes a great TV: "Garbage in => good looking stuff out"

This long post I hope addresses and hint answers to some people complaing here on the forum about image quality.

If you have 65" any TV, you'd better provide it with a great source, or, for now, buy the 65" Sony XBR-X950B ($8,000)

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

If we're you, I'd hold off until next year.

Get a 4k panel next year, you won't regret it at all, they are too highly priced, should be 30% down or so.
XPSTester
Montreal, QC

XPSTester

said by Nitra:

Get a 4k panel next year,

I guess I skipped my conclusion: while it is the best looking TV for regular HD, FHD & UHD, 8K is too much for a TV.

Next year, they will produce even better ones, and the year after that too, year after year...

For me though, if I could put my hands on it for 4K, I would pull the trigger now (the only set better looking than my own Kuro), so the decision would be easy because non-4K stuff looks great on it.

4K content in non-existent... Look, right now we are discussing Bell being the best one out there providing 720p signal... We are very far from reaching 4K being distributed by either Bell or Videotron or any TV other provider.
XPSTester

XPSTester to Nitra

to Nitra
said by Nitra:

he nominal Bitrate formFibeTV is 6.5megabits on the 720p stream. It holds slightly over 10 on the 1080p VOD content.

Nitra, how do you know these numbers? Someone else on this forum mentionned 6.8Mbps... Are they mesured or posted somewhere?

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

6.5 is the video Bitrate. On top of that there's audio, can be 128~384 nominal.

rewket
Premium Member
join:2003-08-21
Longueuil, QC

rewket to Nitra

Premium Member

to Nitra
said by Nitra:

I suggest if you're noticing this issue, you should adjust your cmr.
That's not a fibe issue, it's a TV issue if you see blurring like that.

i have posted this in an other thread. I can stream the torrent on the same TV and get way more than 50% better quality on a 720p stream compared to fibe. Quality is terrible and i have below average eye sight. Cant imagine how bad it is for a perfect 20/20
rewket

rewket to XPSTester

Premium Member

to XPSTester
said by XPSTester:

Also many people use wireless connections and their speed/qulity obviusly gets affected

how? My PS3 is connected through the fibe wireless tv modem (which is on wireless). I'll download a show from the same channel im watching it on fibe and the quality will be much much better on the ps3 stream compared to bell. Im going through the same wireless signal.

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra to rewket

to rewket
If you are seeing issues like this, something is not setup correctly, you really should have someone come and look at it.

Either there's an issue with the TV settings, or you've got a box that's buggered.