Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

[Sitcoms] Big Bang Theory S8 Delayed

due to greed.

»www.bbc.com/news/enterta ··· 28564303

Appears that 325k per episode is not enough and they are aiming for Jupiter and wanting up to 1mil per episode.

And the TV industry wonders why costs are ballooning and profits are down, Its not because of DVRs its because they have all these stars who make more for half a day of "work" than the typical combined income of a family in America.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar

Premium Member

If the whole cast works together, they might be able to get seinfeld type money. It's not like cbs has any other show that could replace it and still bring similar ratings.

seaquake
MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD

seaquake to Kearnstd

MVM

to Kearnstd
When you are (one of|the) #1 show on TV, then you have some leverage and I don't fault these actors for wanting a bigger slice of the pie. As mentioned above, Seinfeld actors made huge figures in the end. IIRC, they offered Jerry $5M per episode if he went another season but he (thankfully) didn't go for it. The actors on friends made $1M an episode toward the end, too (again, if my recollection is correct).

Let's face it. TV as we know it is going to change drastically in the next 5 to 10 years. We're seeing it happen now with shows being released directly to Netflix. I'm to the point where I'd be happy to dump cable and just purchase shows that I want to see.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

And yet so many actors never get another hit series.

The magic does not return.

Some older examples: Bob Crane of Hogans Heroes, most of the Gilligans Island cast, McLean Stevenson of MASH, most of the Seinfeld cast....

Now, maybe that's indeed a reason for trying to get as much money as you can while the going is good.

But it's also a cautionary tale. If they demand so much that the show is killed instead, then everyone loses and some of the actors may not get such good gigs again.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar

Premium Member

A couple of the actors have had previous successes with what one could say are classic shows. The majority of the cast haven't had this type of breakout success. I don't begrudge them getting as much as they can while they can, because you know that CBS and Lorre will get the biggest piece of the pie.

CBS already played their hand. They picked up the show through 2016-17 seasons 8,9 and 10. They probably should've negotiated the salaries before doing so.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Well its my guess this is a sign of the end of the show

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
They have a great formula, and I would certainly continue watching, but on the other hand it has had a long enough run already that I wouldn't be put out that much if it cratered over this. Plus it's not one of those series that needs a definitive conclusion.

Poor Chuck Lorre -- first Charlie Sheen, now this.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar

Premium Member

He's crying like scrooge mcduck in his vault of gold and treasures.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1 to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
These guys are also going to get plenty of residuals from reruns. Actually the show is already in syndication of course!

-----

One of the pioneers of residual payments was Dawn Wells (Mary Ann) from Gilligan's Island. Her agent (who was then her husband) demanded it in her contract. CBS never thought the show would last anyway, so they agreed!

She's the only cast member to have lifelong payments from the show.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to seaquake

Premium Member

to seaquake
Gheez I remember when ST-TNG was considered expensive, at 1-2m to make per episode.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

Gheez I remember when ST-TNG was considered expensive, at 1-2m to make per episode.

And with THAT you at least had lots of special effects, alien costumes and makeup, etc.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Star Trek TNG has to have become the best investment in TV history. 27 years since "Encounter at Farpoint" and 20 years since "All Good Things" and it is still shown on multiple cable channels on a regular basis. It has been released to profitable releases on VHS, DVD and Blu-Ray. It streams on Netflix and is one of their more popular streams.

Now I admit the HD restore for Blu Ray was not cheap for Paramount but I bet that investment has also been recouped.

I honestly wonder how many TV shows have had this kind of financial return for the people involved. I bet most of the primary cast still gets a good sized check every year from the royalties.

RockCake
Premium Member
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA

RockCake to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
If the cast can get it, then good for them. They are the #1 comedy (#1 overall?) show on CBS. (It's no different when Seinfeld and Friends demanded more money at the height of their popularity).

CBS needs them more than they need CBS.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
If they can get the money, good for them. I don't think they deserve it, but whatever. A better place to spend some money would be on the writing staff, because the one they have now don't know how to write funny material.
hgratt
join:2003-12-09
Plano, TX

hgratt to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd
»insidetv.ew.com/2014/08/ ··· -raises/

seaquake
MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD

seaquake

MVM

Glad to see they got it. They deserve a bigger piece of the pie and I hope they use their extra wealth wisely.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to Kearnstd

MVM

to Kearnstd
This is just the way things are done,........right!?!

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008

Premium Member

Yeah, the consumer ends up paying in the end.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
Well, there's always public television...

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
Deadline.com mentioned that Warner Bros stands to make up to $2 billion or more from the series.
66860111 (banned)
join:2014-04-28

66860111 (banned) to Rook008

to Rook008
said by Rook008:

Yeah, the consumer ends up paying in the end.

Welcome to basic business. We paid for everything one way or another.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
The link to the deadline story :

»m.deadline.com/2014/08/b ··· w-deals/