All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

greenman
join:2002-06-18
Athens, GA

greenman

[HSI] pole to house cable - underground splices okay?

The pole-to-home underground cable was cut by local utility workers while reinstalling a storm sewer near our home.

Is it really appropriate to install a splice underground, or should they have re-buried a new cable from the pole to the house?

I ask be cause all we get now is a power cycling modem and maybe 5 minutes of time to check email every thirty minutes if we're luck enough to be at the computer when it's actually connecting.

Several days without a decent connection...

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew

Premium Member

it's usually not ok, but may be done during an emergency. who did the spicing?

DaSneaky1D
what's up
MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou

DaSneaky1D to greenman

MVM

to greenman
You can request a new drop be run. They'll bury it a little bit after it's installed.

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE to greenman

Premium Member

to greenman
Regardless of whether or not it's acceptable. Yours was obviously not spliced properly. If it was, you would not be having connectivity issues. The problem with buried splices is that if they aren't properly sealed, they will corrode and cause connectivity problems. A fresh splice, should be working.
Banger
join:2014-07-22
Sturgeon Bay, WI

Banger to DocDrew

to DocDrew
My guess emeril lagasse. Bam!

My guess is if your having such issues connecting to even email. It needs to be redone.

greenman
Athens, GA

greenman

Everyone, thank you for your replies.
1. The cable tech put in the splice. It's rated for aerial and burial placement.
2. I wonder if the guys who reburied the sewer lines pushed hard enough on the splice to actually break the connection. The modem is now doesn't even cycle - acting like it doesn't even have the cable connected - staying with the power on continuous and the first light blinking blue - and never actually cycling because it gets no signal, so the cable folks are going to think I've turned off my modem.

Dagnabbit, this is frustrating. I guess I have to call the cable folks again.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to greenman

MVM

to greenman
Splicing the drop is OK, provided the correct splicing kit is used. Each splice comes with signal loss. If a cable is cut in more than one place, it should probably be pieced out or replaced.

DLow
join:2013-11-16
Waxahachie, TX

DLow to greenman

to greenman
It being underground the tech should have ran anew drop doesn't get any simpler than that

greenman
Athens, GA

greenman

said by DLow:

It being underground the tech should have ran anew drop doesn't get any simpler than that

said by nunya:

If a cable is cut in more than one place, it should probably be pieced out or replaced.

nunya, DLow, thanks for your replies.
They dropped a new cable from the pole to the house.
The signal is great.
Now the line just needs to be buried.