spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Lorob
join:2003-06-30
Vista, CA

Lorob

[Modem] DSL NetGear 7550

I am on the Direct Pro Plan, the highest Plan that AT&T offer in my neighborhood. I had been using a NetGear N300 (Model DGN3500) for the last few years and enjoying very steady downstream speed between 2.25 2.5 Mbps. My router/modem died and the tech very nicely gave me a NetGear 7550 router/modem as a replacement. However, I can not get speeds any greater than 1.5 Mbps and am wondering why. The tech insists I have a "near perfect" line at the network box, with speeds at or slightly above 3.0. I run the DSL line as part of a Cat 5 directly to a distribution block inside my house, and from there directly to the modem/router's location. As I said, it worked great with the N300 but the 7550 is a dog. Anyone have a similar experience.

The tech also noted that I had the matching pairs at the distribution block all punched down, and advised that I clip all those that are not being used. He believes there is some inefficiency and performance hit when you distribute the DSL line to jacks throughout the house, even though only one jack is active. I'm not sure why this would matter because it worked fine before and is dragging now.

May have to provision a second line just to keep the rest of the tribe happy.

Thanks for comments and suggestions.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Lorob:

The tech also noted that I had the matching pairs at the distribution block all punched down, and advised that I clip all those that are not being used. He believes there is some inefficiency and performance hit when you distribute the DSL line to jacks throughout the house, even though only one jack is active.

Most likely causes an internal bridge tap. I received no SBC tech advice for a similar arrangement that I created, but my signals definitely changed for the worse, once I rewired as a star. I just clipped the unused pairs at the panel, and my connection went back to the levels I had before re-wiring. Figured it out on my own.
Lorob
join:2003-06-30
Vista, CA

Lorob

Norman, many thanks for your ever present advice and support.