spc
Search similar:

uniqs

RF Hax0r
@98.200.118.x

RF Hax0r

Anon

[Speed] 50 Mb down / 5 Mb up - WTF?

I'm on the Performance: 25 Mbps / 5 Mbps tier.

My downstream signal and SNR is always good but my upstream power is a little high, but stable, in the 45-47 dBmV range. I happened to have a Channel Vision return path only amplifier (+15 dB) laying around and installed it on the cable modem My upstream power levels are now at 30-32 dBmV as expected and downstream is about the same. Now I'm getting 50+ Mb down and 5 Mb up consistently on speedtest.net.

WTF? Did I trigger some sort of reprovision to 50 Mb down?

Arris TM822G. 8 channels down / 3 channel up on my node.
videomatic3
join:2003-12-12
Pleasanton, CA

videomatic3

Look at sticky'd thread for more info
»[Speed] Report Performance 50/5, Blast 105/10 & Extreme 150/20 Here

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN
Netgear CM600
Asus RT-AC66U B1

MDA to RF Hax0r

Premium Member

to RF Hax0r
That doesn't look like an upgrade for any recent news or promotion. Everyone that had performance was upgraded to blast about a year and a half ago. You would have 50/10, not 50/5 so something is either being cached that shows it doubled on a flash speed test or powerboost could still be enabled on your line (doubt it).

I'd run a shaperprobe test to see if there is any traffic shaping and by the way, your upstream levels were in spec before, but now are too low (37-52 is the ideal range these days).

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick

Premium Member

Some people are being upgraded to 50/5 on performance plan.

Annon
@68.62.236.x

Annon to RF Hax0r

Anon

to RF Hax0r
Remove the amp.

45-47 on the upstream is well within spec and not high.

high would be hitting 50+

The spec actually allows you to go to 51, over 51 is when you fall outside of spec on a bonded system.

You are amping noise along with the signal and modems don't do well with such low transmit (30) and is on the edge of what they support, not to mention any noise you may be amping into the system itself unnecessarily. If it aint broke don't try to fix it.

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN

MDA to iNick

Premium Member

to iNick
That's pretty cheap by comcast considering upstream has always been at least 1:5 on every tier.
I feel bad for those twc/cox/charter users with whoever has those 100/4 connections under tcp.