uniqs

MAIZnBLUE
Premium Member
join:2004-01-15
Milan, MI

MAIZnBLUE

Premium Member

[Equip] Modem swap

How do I go about getting a modem swapped out… I currently have a Emta that only supports four downstream's are there any Emta's out there that offer eight downstream's? ... I rent the modem so any help would be appreciated.

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick

Premium Member

Yes, go to a comcast center and ask for an TM822G which is an 8 channels down and 4 channels up.

mccabe
join:2012-08-10
Boca Raton, FL

mccabe to MAIZnBLUE

to MAIZnBLUE
The Ubee DVM3203B would also be a good choice. Don't let comcast give you one of their modem/router/emta units. They are nothing but trouble.

MAIZnBLUE
Premium Member
Milan, MI

MAIZnBLUE

Premium Member

Smcd3gnv is what I currently have… I don't use the router I shut it off because I have my own router

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

Jim721

Be advised here in Michigan its hard to find a service center that has anything other then gateway devices. Comcast is trying real hard to get there so called xfinity hot spots up and running any were they can.

MAIZnBLUE
Premium Member
Milan, MI

MAIZnBLUE

Premium Member

Then I guess my only other alternative is to call Comcast and request a modem swap..

anonafish
@98.231.176.x

anonafish to MAIZnBLUE

Anon

to MAIZnBLUE
I have the Ubee DVM3203B and it's 8x4....I get 122+/11.5 on my 105/10 plan.

Never had any problems with it.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to MAIZnBLUE

Premium Member

to MAIZnBLUE
Can also buy your own Arris TM822G eMTA from various online sources -- eliminate the rental fee, get your 8 downstream channels...for about ~$140

Listing on ownyourcablemodem.com: »stores.dontleaseyourmode ··· ny-more/

Jim721
Belleville, MI

Jim721

said by ILpt4U:

Can also buy your own Arris TM822G eMTA from various online sources -- eliminate the rental fee, get your 8 downstream channels...for about ~$140

Good idea. If you choose this route call comcast and make sure they allow customer owned telephone modems, some markets still dont.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to MAIZnBLUE

Premium Member

to MAIZnBLUE
I'll give a warning. Do not buy a modem or EMTA from Ebay or Craiglist even if they list it as new. Any place else only new. The web site that ILpt4U mention could be questionable. I read stories about the site. Some have reported that Comcast will provision them because it belongs to them. It might be that they have bought used not new.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Agreed, stick to new listings. Used just have too many question marks.

And I confess, I researched ownyourcablemodem.com before buying one there myself, read the mixed reviews, and decided ultimately to give it a shot -- it worked for me. They claim "Guaranteed to work on Comcast" so if it doesn't, return it to them, and if they don't follow thru on the refund, report it as fraud to PayPal/Credit Card Company

anonafish
@98.231.176.x

anonafish

Anon

I don't pay a rental fee for my DVM3203B...They waived it

mccabe
join:2012-08-10
Boca Raton, FL

mccabe to MAIZnBLUE

to MAIZnBLUE
If you order a new emta online or over the phone you can't specify which one you want.

Jim721
Belleville, MI

Jim721

said by mccabe:

If you order a new emta online or over the phone you can't specify which one you want.

There is no way to specify what you want even at the service centers, you get what they got bottom line. In SE Michigan all they hand out are gateway devices.