uniqs
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

Paint

Any painters in my area know what primer/paint is being used for new construction these days? The only flat paint I've used in years is ceiling paint. Since the latest v.o.c. laws came into effect, all companies had to change formulas. I'm to bid a new house and it comes down to paint cost. So what is everyone using now? I need a flat that touches up. I'm pretty much fed up with sherwin. Am looking to go to EPCO this time. Good?

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

I'm no painter - to be honest, it's about my least favourite job, and I sub it out most of the time - but just about every painter I know around here is using Benjamin Moore...

See a fair bit of the "UltraSpec 500" - which is a zero VoC product.

what the
join:2014-06-28
usa

what the to joewho

to joewho
Have a Home Depot near you?
Try Behr Paint.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by what the:

Try Behr Paint.

He's looking for Good paint, not Cheap paint!
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor to joewho

to joewho
I have my guys using Shermin Williams pre-cat epoxy (waterbase) for commercial stuff at work.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to joewho

Premium Member

to joewho
I'm not a painter, but I see pro's using a lot of Sherwin Williams Super Paint around here, also a good bit of Porter Paints, and some Benjamin Moore. Never saw anybody claiming to be a professional using Behr paint.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to joewho

MVM

to joewho
I used the Behr standard paint for the living room.

Absolutely terrible coverage. It took 3 coats to put a beige over a pale yellow.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to joewho

to joewho
Out here in Vegas, Frazee paint seems like to be the preferred paint for new and flip builds. My new build was painted with Frazee flat on all surfaces except trim. Which is semi-gloss. I will paint over it with Behr Premium when money allows. The Frazee seems like a builder grade paint. Plus the contractors sprayed the ceiling and walls. Which didn't make for a great first paint seal over knockdown texture. When I do it or have it done, it will be rolled to get a better finish.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to joewho

Premium Member

to joewho
For new construction? Whatever's cheapest.

Me, I use nothing but Benjamin Moore. Always great coverage.

what the
usa

what the to Cho Baka

to Cho Baka
When switching colors a primer coat should be the first coat then the paint!
joewho
Premium Member
Dundee, IL

joewho to Beezel

Premium Member

to Beezel
Beezel, I lived in vegas for a while. No frazee in chicagoland. I've been a lifelong sw man, but our local store sucks. I've use high build and pro mar for new construction. Promar has changed to the zero voc, no odor paint. I don't need to pay for that. I've used all sw paints, but this is new construction. Looking to go cheap, as the builder already has a price in mind. Just wondering what is most common around chicago.

PS. I did a lot of repaints where I had to match the knock down. Got an Angie's list award for it.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to joewho

Premium Member

to joewho
I've painted almost an entire house using Behr. No issues, good coverage.
It boils down to the quality of the roller.
One roomI did using BM. It was thicker, could have covered with a single coat at the expense of leaving marks, in the end it took exactly the same amount of work (2 thinner coats) at double the cost.
Now Glidden on the other side... that was bad, I tried in one room, re-painted over with Behr.
66860111 (banned)
join:2014-04-28

66860111 (banned) to Msradell

to Msradell
said by Msradell:

said by what the:

Try Behr Paint.

It's about the same price per gallon. Behr is about $35 a gallon vs $37 for Ben Moore.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by 66860111:

said by Msradell:

said by what the:

Try Behr Paint.

It's about the same price per gallon. Behr is about $35 a gallon vs $37 for Ben Moore.

I was referring to quality, not price!
66860111 (banned)
join:2014-04-28

66860111 (banned)

Consumer Reports doesn't agree there.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

I did a complete interior repaint with Valspar Ultra. CR liked that one too. I've got no complaints, so far.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

Grumpy4 to joewho

Premium Member

to joewho
I'm going to opt out of the paint debate, but if you are so inclined, try one of these Picasso brushes for cutting edges. IMO they outperform Purdy, Wooster, and the other leading brands I've tried for pulling straight lines. Zoom over brush edge in photo.

»www.amazon.com/Proform-T ··· 08VFWPA4

I paid a lot less than $14 for this brush, ($8 maybe?) but it was back when they first became available. I discovered them thanks to the hardware store paint guy. I let a full time specialty paint pro borrow one and he was blown away by it.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to what the

MVM

to what the
The colours were very similar. Three coats should not have been needed.

Behr does have a premium line paint, and it promises 1 coat coverage.
joewho
Premium Member
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

Avoiding Sherwin Williams, here's what I'm using. Coronado SuperKote. BM bought Coronado. 15/gal. primer and 20/gal. paint. Locked it in. Best I can do.....
joewho

joewho to Grumpy4

Premium Member

to Grumpy4
Grump, those are nice brushes. I'm actually going to get a couple. My go to brush is acutally a Purdy 3" oval. xl pip. ;

what the
usa

what the to joewho

to joewho
This year's Consumer Reports winner for best interior paint is "Clark + Kensington", a new line from Ace Hardware. Consumer Reports noted that it was "superb at hiding, leaving a smooth finish that resisted stains and scrubbing."

Previous winners, such as Behr, Valspar and Benjamin Moore, continued to maintain a presence in the top three brands for each paint finish:

Satin & Eggshell
1.Clark + Kensington - Satin Enamel, $32/gallon
2.Benjamin Moore - Aura Satin, $68/gallon
3.Kilz - Casual Colors Satin, $30/gallon

Flat & Matte
1.Valspar - Signature Matte, $32/gallon
2.Behr - Premium Plus Ultra Flat, $32/gallong
3.Benjamin Moore - Aura Matte, $68/gallon

Semi-Gloss
1.Clark + Kensington - Semi-Gloss, $33/gallon
2.Behr - Premium Plus Ultra Semi-Gloss Enamel, $34/gallon
3.Valspar - Signature Semi-Gloss, $35/gallon

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

2 edits

Grumpy4 to joewho

Premium Member

to joewho
said by joewho:

Grump, those are nice brushes. I'm actually going to get a couple. My go to brush is acutally a Purdy 3" oval. xl pip. ;

I too am a Purdy fan, with probably a dozen or so 10 feet away. The worst part about good brushes? When people want to borrow them.

If you use a heavy oil base paint or primer, you might want to look for the stiffer bristle Picasso models. Heavy latex is no problem for the less than stiff bristle spec models.

Yet another tip from a pro - he told me to every now and then soak even latex use brushes in acetone, for the modern latex paints have small amounts of something that water won't wash. Not sure how the Picasssos would take to acetone though. The bristle composition in them is a top secret that Picasso won't reveal. Very nice action though, like nothing I've ever used.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

would they say if you emailed them, Not the secret sauce of their brushes but if its safe to use Acetone. Id imagine a top of the line brush maker has tested against it even if they wont say how they make the brushy bits.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to joewho

Premium Member

to joewho
I repainted the interior of my house a couple of months back with a satin Sherwin Williams interior Super Paint. I got great coverage and hide. I could have gotten away with painting just one coat but as I was changing colors I went ahead and painted two coats just because.