spc
Search similar:

uniqs

mrlewp
join:2012-07-15
Gainesville, FL

mrlewp

[Network] Use Old Modem?-Bridged, Single-Function Devices

We have an old (?) Windstream modem, model 5200. I'm guessing its a Speedstream. (pre- my moving in here) Recently our SpdStrm 4300 failed, and was replaced with a Sagemcom 4320 "Gateway"- as a techie informed me is the more correct term for a combo device.

1) Will WStream allow us to use this modem, along with the new Sage4320? Why, you ask.....? I'd like get to where all internet/ network devices are dedicated to a single function, if feasible.
2) If I can use it, I would disable its router functions- or "bridge" the device,Correct?
3) As for the Sage4320, I'd eventually like it to just handle routing- DHCP (or DCHP? I keep forgetting This is not a "bridge" mode, so what would I turn off- NAT? At first I'll likely leave it Wireless enabled. And, I know- to fully reach my goal, I should also have a Switch for the wired devices.
4) If I wish to set up a wireless AP, using my D-Link and LAN to LAN cable to the Sagemcom, does the Sgm4320 need to be Wireless ON? Or doesn't that matter to the AP router to work?

Salty_Peaks
@173.255.181.x

Salty_Peaks

Anon

Try it, there were two 5200 breeds, one with the Texas Instruments AR5 and one with the AR7 chipset. The AR5 won't support ADSL2/ADSL2+ so if your DSLAM is ADSL2 only you won't sync.

You can put the 5200 in bridge-only or bridge-router mode just like the 4200/4300.

VPI/VCI is 0/35. I run a Windstream Speedstream 4200 submerged in mineral oil.

P0000-00-00T79:17:10       E |DSL                  |State: INITIALIZING
P0000-00-00T79:17:23       E |DSL                  |HYBRID 1
P0000-00-00T79:17:23       E |DSL                  |Link up 2 US 766 DS 7196 (INTL:ADSL2+)

mrlewp
Gainesville, FL

mrlewp

I'll have a closer look at the 5200. There's also another "retired" DSL modem here. Don't have that model no. to provide yet. But both old, and the new Sage4320 are DSL, and for the same ISP service. So I don't get the "won't sync" issue. Still willing to learn, tho'! As for "trying it". I thought that won't work until WStream is given the MAC on it? Or,.. Will it be recognized as a former "player"? (Ergh..
As a final OR?; would I be better off to purchase a new, dedicated modem?
( There's an AND question, but I'll start a new post. Re: the g/n connection speeds. An aside-- this is another forum of which I'm not getting the email alerts to new replies. It's set as such. Just curious)

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS

MVM

I don't know of a DSL service provider which provisions DSL modems by MAC address, AT&T U-verse uses an 802.1x authentication; built in to the firmware. AT&T legacy DSL, along with many other providers, uses PPPoE. Some use PPPoA. But even the rare ones using DHCP don't provision their modems by MAC address. I suppose it can be done, I have just never heard of it.

mrlewp
Gainesville, FL

1 recommendation

mrlewp

(Note says "talking to yourself again"? when replying?) ..... anyway;

My remark about the MAC address was based on this article;
»www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· e-part-1

And this quote near bottom of page, just above image of the modem. Different ISP, but seemed it would apply?;
"The Motorola SB5101, shown below, is a TimeWarner-approved simple bridged modem available for about $40. Note, if you purchase a modem, you'll have to give the MAC address of your modem to TimeWarner so they can register it to work on their network."
Are you saying then, that I should be able to bridge the older modem, then connect it to our new Sage4320, and set off no "alarms" from WindStream? And again, how do I disable the modem function of the Sagemcom? Turn off NAT? In order to use its router functions only!

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

NormanS

MVM

The Motorola SB5101 is an obsolete, DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem. Nothing to do with DSL service. It is common for DOCSIS (cable) systems to require registration of the modem by MAC address; but that does not apply to DSL,

mrlewp
Gainesville, FL

mrlewp

Ok. The MAC issue can be done. Simply a misunderstanding on my part. Does anyone have any actual answers to the "meaty" issues?
My first goal would be;
- Use retired modem(bridged) > to New Sage4320/Wireless Router only! to new Sage4320/ Wired AP only!!, but with LAN to LAN cable going to> Wireless AP ! (DLink Router, already setup as such, just need to change fields that apply, linking to Sagecom instead of current Belkin)
**** Does wireless need to be Enabled on Sagemcom in order for the DLink to serve as a Wireless AP ?

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by mrlewp:

Does wireless need to be Enabled on Sagemcom in order for the DLink to serve as a Wireless AP ?

I think not. SpeedStream 5200 modem in bridge mode to Sagemcom RG, which will route. Turn off its radio. D-Link as AP, turn off the D-Link DHCP server; it will just be a dumb switch with a radio.

mrlewp
Gainesville, FL

mrlewp

Thanks. You were able to interpret my 2nd goal despite some missing text. My use of certain characters causes weird things to occur when I preview my post. Thought I fixed it all.
After trying bridged 5200 to Sage4320, second aim was;
- Use 5200 modem(bridged) to New Sage4320/Wired AP only!!, but with LAN to LAN cable going to a Wireless AP- DLink Router
mrlewp

1 recommendation

mrlewp to NormanS

to NormanS
Two questions on your response, please.
1) 5200 Modem "bridged", but Sage4320 also has a modem side. Thus my question before about relieving the Sgcm of this function? Disable what? ( I guessed NAT)
2) the D-Link, as a dumb switch w/radio; therefore a "wireless switch" only?
I've only heard it called an AP, and unable to use for wired devices?