spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kobol72

join:2014-07-17

AMD A10 7800 APU vs A10-7850K vs INTEL i5 4670K - REVIEW

Benchmark comparison of new energy efficient AMD A10 7800 APU – Kavery Refresh vs Intel Pentium G3258 vs Intel Pentium G3220 vs Amd A10-7850K vs Intel i5 4670K.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=g60s1rew_t0

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Surprise, a quad core CPU beats a dual core CPU in synthetic benchmarks. Guru3D did a review of the AMD A10 7800 that includes some real world usage. Here are the relevant parts. Conclusion: If you are going to build a computer for everyday use with light gaming at medium settings, get an APU. Otherwise, even a G3258 is better than a quad core AMD processor.
--
“Reality doesn't bite, rather our perception of reality bites.” - Anthony J. D'Angelo
»www.chaoticconfused.com

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

So when using a dedicated GPU (780 Ti), the CPU performance difference @ 1080p is a spread of 2 FPS (2.27%) between an A10 7800 (~$170) to an i7-4790K ($340) - Tomb Raider?

Greater, it's 21% in Bioshock, so it looks like it varies per game.

--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium
Sacramento, CA

Keep in mind that the G3258 is half the price of the A10s and has the same performance in games. Tomb Raider is a very well optimized game and most of the processing is offloaded onto the GPU. BF4, well you know the issues with BF4.
--
“Reality doesn't bite, rather our perception of reality bites.” - Anthony J. D'Angelo
»www.chaoticconfused.com

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to kobol72

So amd's apus are better than intel's igps, and intel's cpus are better than amd's? Kinda knew that, but the difference isn't as big as I thought for the cpus. Interesting looks like for gaming there is no real wrong choice.

bigdiff

@69.118.94.x

Amds always had a better igpu and intel always better cpu (well ipc) (and always is of course "recently")

Based off two games... you saying the difference is not big...

»2p.com/6037322_1/World-of-Tanks-···Noob.htm

Scroll down to the CPU part, i3's are beating amd fx-9XXX cpus... (or look at the attached)

Tested with ONE 780ti

i3 4330 @ 3.5 45-65 fps
fx 9590 @ 5.0 40-53
fx 8350 @ 4.0 33-45
i5 4670k @ 3.4 50-72

Ya amd vs intel no big difference at all...

I mean again this is one game... damn big difference to me...

8350 is $190 33-45fps
4670k $234 50-72fps

Ya big difference to me.
And throw in an overclock, I bet ya that intel gets over 60 fps all the time... that amd is never gona do that...

That game for me is unplayable under 60fps... the movement just makes me sick... so, amd I'd have to drop the settings, where the intel I could keep them...

NOT saying amd vs intel, here staying, you can't look at two games and come up with an answer...

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

I was refering to tomb raider and bioshock infinite, since they use the cores. WOT doesn't use all the cores, from what I've read wot uses 1 core mostly which amd does not do good on. Most modern games do use 4 or more cores.

readmuch

@69.118.94.x

Most modern games do *not* use 4 or more cores... very few do... most if not one use 2... this is why i3's are still recommended for lowend gaming rigs... they are cheap but have the IPC to beat out AMD cpus in the same price area... you can only thread a game so much... and there is a cost $$$ to do it...

Also you may notice I said, based off two games... those two, I just gave you a modern game, that has a very large player base... that a AMD cpu would not be optimal for. To show the other side of the coin...

You said looks like for gaming there is no wrong choice, well IDK about you but I be pretty unhappy with a AMD cpu if I wanted to play WOT and not tomb raider...

And even in tomb raider the AMD a10... was MUCH slower than all the other CPUS at 720p... cpu is close to meaningless in this game... it's a GPU bound game...

We have NO idea how many cores tomb raider uses based off that chart...

AND the end of that was "a g3258 is better than an amd quad core" lol

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium
Sacramento, CA

In Tomb Raiders specifically, a lot of the processing is offloaded onto the GPU, so as long as your CPU doesn't bottleneck your GPU, any CPU will work.

If you are talking strictly about a low cost, very entry level gaming rig (which I define as 30 fps at medium settings), then AMD APUs are, bar none, the best bang for your buck. If you toss nearly ANY discrete GPU in the mix, you can toss that out the window. A G3258 has the best performance/dollar ratio when overclocked. It costs about $70 and matches (or comes close to) CPUs that are double its price.
--
»www.chaoticconfused.com

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

said by Tirael:

A G3258 has the best performance/dollar ratio when overclocked. It costs about $70 and matches (or comes close to) CPUs that are double its price.

Gotta factor in the price of the cooler, not saying they aren't a great deal just eh a good cooler costs abut $50.

said by Tirael:

then AMD APUs are, bar none, the best bang for your buck.

I think you mean athlons, the apus are a decent bit more expensive.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

You can OC on both reasonably well with the Hyper 212 for $30.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium
Sacramento, CA
reply to me1212

said by me1212:

I think you mean athlons, the apus are a decent bit more expensive.

If you are looking at dollar for performance, an AMD APU allows you to do gaming at medium settings a lot better than an Intel CPU. This is talking without a GPU.
--
»www.chaoticconfused.com