Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

1 edit

El Quintron

Premium Member

[hard drive] New WD Black fairly loud on Read/Write

TL;DR

I was running out of space on a WD Green I had so I replaced it with a larger WD Black. I realize the greens focus on electricity savings and low noise, but the black is substantially louder than the green when I either read from it or write to it.

It isn't scary, like grinding, but it makes kinda tick or click every time it moves. Here's a Defraggler as a reference:

Drive Health Pic

I guess the question here is: Is this normal or should I be looking into this immediately?

edit: posting before coffee is a bad idea especially after a re-read

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

1 recommendation

Tirael

Premium Member

Does it click constantly or just whenever it starts to read/write? Those WD blacks are loud. Most people that use them have other noise the drowns out the drive (such as fans).

However, any sounds coming from a drive that are not the platters spinning/head moving to the platter is usually no bueno. If the clicking is happening at an interval without read/write operations going on, then you have an issue. If it is happening when you initiate a read/write, you are fine. This is normal drive operation (you try spinning at 7200 RPM and see if you are quiet). Usually, if the clicking is the bad kind, it will cause momentary lock up on the system.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

1 recommendation

Ghastlyone to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
My Caviar Black is pretty loud whenever it's reading/writing.

That's the trade off for performance though.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to Tirael

Premium Member

to Tirael
said by Tirael:

Does it click constantly or just whenever it starts to read/write? Those WD blacks are loud.

It only clicks when I'm trying to read/write, my case fans are huge, so they're pretty quiet, that might be why I'm noticing the noise from the drive.

EQ
El Quintron

El Quintron to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

That's the trade off for performance though.

You're right about the performance, it completely trounces the WD green, and the older Seagate I have as a data drive for my Linux partition.

EQ

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

Tirael

Premium Member

I usually go for the Caviar Blue drives. They have a nice performance/noise ratio.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Tirael:

I usually go for the Caviar Blue drives.

Hmm that could have been a good compromise as well. The Green I replaced was about 5 years old, so it was time to replace it, but I figured because it was a gaming drive I should go Black.

EQ

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

Tirael

Premium Member

There is very little difference in performance in most applications between a Blue and a black, according to this.

Edit: Hit the wrong button. Blacks are intended to be used in a RAID setup (or at least their components are of that level) while Blues are intended for single drive use. If you want the best of the best, Blacks are what you should get.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Tirael:

If you want the best of the best, Blacks are what you should get.

The performance is noticeable over the green drive at least, at this point SSDs are growing on me, but it's highly unlikely that I'm going to be able to afford a 4TB SSD anytime soon.

EQ

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
Soon as 1tb SSD's get down into the ~$200 range I'll own a couple of them. My gaming PCs at that point will never have a standard HDD again.

It's getting close.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

Tirael

Premium Member

said by Ghastlyone:

Soon as 1tb SSD's get down into the ~$200 range I'll own a couple of them. My gaming PCs at that point will never have a standard HDD again.

I completely agree with this statement.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Tirael

Premium Member

to Tirael
said by Tirael:

There is very little difference in performance in most applications between a Blue and a black, according to this.

Edit: Hit the wrong button. Blacks are intended to be used in a RAID setup (or at least their components are of that level) while Blues are intended for single drive use. If you want the best of the best, Blacks are what you should get.

The only problem with the Blues is that the largest you can get them are 1tb. That's why Blacks are probably the better choice for some people (if they're looking for performance and larger capacity)

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to Tirael

Premium Member

to Tirael
said by Tirael:

said by Ghastlyone:

I completely agree with this statement.

Seconded, I'm predicting this is going to be a reality in about 2 years. A great time to be a PC gamer.

EQ
El Quintron

El Quintron to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

The only problem with the Blues is that the largest you can get them are 1tb.

Really? That's a shame.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

said by Ghastlyone:

The only problem with the Blues is that the largest you can get them are 1tb.

Really? That's a shame.

Yep. Largest I see on the Blue drive are 1tb.

I don't know how much quieter the Blue drives are, but to be honest, my Caviar Black isn't too bad. And I've literally got my PC sitting up on my desk to the right of me. The only time the drive makes noise for me is when I'm starting a game up or accessing my music files. Most everything else is on my SSD luckily.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Ghastlyone:

I don't know how much quieter the Blue drives are, but to be honest, my Caviar Black isn't too bad.

The green was completely silent, the Black has clicks when it's in use. It's quiet-ish, just not silent.

I'm pretty happy most other WD Black users are getting similar noises though, I was worried at first that I had a defective drive.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
I must be the odd one out that likes the "clatta clatta clatta" of a drive.... Reminds me of the old drives...

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

I don't mind it, but I didn't know if I should have been alarmed at first. Must drive checks came in healthy so I didn't worry too much.

EQ

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

Tirael

Premium Member

Remember the old IBM drives? Those things were like tiny little car engines when it came to noise. *clack, vripppppp, clack,, vripppp"

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Tirael:

Remember the old IBM drives?

I remember those! I seem to remember that reading 5 1/4" floppies was pretty loud too.

EQ

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to Tirael

Premium Member

to Tirael
said by Tirael:

Remember the old IBM drives? Those things were like tiny little car engines when it came to noise. *clack, vripppppp, clack,, vripppp"

And the sound of it when the platters spun up!