Search similar:

uniqs

larc919
join:2005-01-12
Raleigh, NC

1 edit

larc919

TWC announces markets for MAXX in 2015

TWC chairman and CEO Rob Marcus announced this morning that 7 additional markets are in line for MAXX service in 2015. They are Charlotte, Dallas, Hawaii, Kansas City (MO), Raleigh, San Antonio and San Diego.

F100
join:2013-01-15
Durham, NC
Alcatel-Lucent G-010G-A
(Software) pfSense
Pace 5268AC

F100

Looks like the will finally be killing off Analog channels 2-70 something if they are going to launch Max in this RDU market. Most of the Analog channels are still on as well as Clear QAM. I'll have to re-align the antenna again when that happens. Seems they will need all the bandwidth they can get. My node is still at 4x1 bonding.

It's magical that all of sudden with Google Fiber looking at this market it goes from the last of the areas to get upgrades to one of the first like the Dallas market. (Sarcasm intended)
Vitality9
Premium Member
join:2014-06-15

Vitality9 to larc919

Premium Member

to larc919
YES!!! CHARLOTTE FINALLY.

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss to larc919

Premium Member

to larc919
So TWC now is rushing to save the markets at risk from fiber. So now I wonder how this will pan out in the RDU area?

As one other said, it was still 4x1 ware my dad lives so they have some work to do.
quisp65
join:2003-05-03
San Diego, CA

quisp65 to larc919

to larc919
I'm in San Diego and they already had a rumor of us getting MAXX in 2014 but it was mostly based on rumor spread around by the media. I'll get internet from TWC as soon as they get 100Mbps. We still 50Mbps out here. I'm keeping my Uverse TV. So I'll have Vonage phone, Uverse TV & TWC Maxx . So much for packages.

So these areas should all see upgrades to 100Mbps & analog dumped fairly soon?
RangoJackson
join:2010-09-22
El Centro, CA

RangoJackson to larc919

to larc919
Darn... So close yet so far.
nephipower
join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

nephipower to larc919

to larc919
I really worry that since they said 2015 that if the TWC/Comcast goes through Comcast will later cancel the upgrades.
crooked
join:2000-07-29
Durham, NC

crooked to F100

to F100
F100 and why60loss (or your dad), you're really still only at 4x1? I'm in SW Durham and I'm 8x1.

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss

Premium Member

said by crooked:

F100 and why60loss (or your dad), you're really still only at 4x1? I'm in SW Durham and I'm 8x1.

Some have gone to 6x1, I am on Comcast with 8x2, my dad as of last month is 4x1 and well I just don't know how Time warner cable is going to clean up the mess they have in the area.

Time warner cable was likely hoping to leave the area alone until 2016/2017 but AT&T I think is putting the pressure on. And they were pressured by google who may or may not really do fiber in the area.

I think the new CEO has a lot to do with the speed they are reacting, because I don't think the old Time warner cable pre-2014 would be doing this.
trufunk
join:2014-06-25
San Antonio, TX

trufunk to larc919

to larc919
Cool!

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to nephipower

to nephipower
said by nephipower:

I really worry that since they said 2015 that if the TWC/Comcast goes through Comcast will later cancel the upgrades.

hmm probably not because Comcast has 250Mbps package running on 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 bonding a few areas. so all they have to do is tweak it to fit 300Mbps across all areas and rebrand the internet service as MAXX in those markets lol!

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to larc919

Premium Member

to larc919
Oh, if it is the same as what is happening in L.A. and N.Y., those upgrades will likely come with a free of charge removal of all analog channels, requiring a DTA for coax-only connected TV.
maartena

maartena to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870
said by motorola870:

said by nephipower:

hmm probably not because Comcast has 250Mbps package running on 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 bonding a few areas. so all they have to do is tweak it to fit 300Mbps across all areas and rebrand the internet service as MAXX in those markets lol!

It's more likely that TWC's plans will (eventually) match Comcast's plans. But it is also not unlikely Comcast will simply match TWC's speed at the same time, and you won't notice a thing.

F100
join:2013-01-15
Durham, NC
Alcatel-Lucent G-010G-A
(Software) pfSense
Pace 5268AC

1 edit

F100 to crooked

to crooked

Downstream Channels

Downstream Channels
crooked, I'm in SW Durham also and still only get 4x1. I am on a slow Teleworker Business Class plan but I thought that didn't matter. Same physical plan and modem as residential.

When we first got 30x5 signed up under residential and it was upstream bonded at one point on my DDW3611. I switched my service to BC and the just moved my account info and just pushed a new config to my modem. Haven't seen upstream bonding in a long time so maybe they were just testing.

I just got finished running all new Belden 7915A Tri shield RG6 coax with SNS pro connectors and signal levels are much better now. I'm making a telecom closet with LAN, Coax, phone, switching, routing, and servers all in one place. New ground block at NID and new coax though out the house. If I have any issues now, they are definitely on their side of the box. Modem still belongs to TWC but I don't have to pay a fee for it.

Edit: Add Signal levels: 4x1.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar to larc919

Premium Member

to larc919
Is a relatively small market area like the Rio Grande Valley in Texas ever going to get on the upgrade list?

hidef
@74.65.41.x

hidef to larc919

Anon

to larc919
TWC is dragging their feet in MOST markets, doing minimal to keep up with any competition.
Comcast/TWC merger would be even worse.
milkman82
join:2006-06-19
Cleveland, OH

milkman82 to larc919

to larc919
No Cleveland, OH???
TebTeb
join:2009-01-28
Reynoldsburg, OH

TebTeb

Cleveland? What about Columbus come on!
Andrew LB
join:2005-10-10
Seal Beach, CA

Andrew LB to crooked

to crooked
I got upgraded to MAXX a few weeks ago and had 4x1 up until a week or so before the upgrade.

richrockstar
join:2013-04-22
Wake Forest, NC

richrockstar to larc919

to larc919
wow, Raleigh is becoming quite the hotbed for fiber & next gen internet lately.

larc919
join:2005-01-12
Raleigh, NC

larc919

At least there's a lot of talk about it. But talk is the cheap part. Anybody can do that. I'd rather see action and results. Cable was being laid in my neighborhood a couple of months ago. The area in front of my house had been marked off and flagged for water line location, etc. Cable laying operations got as close as the nearest corner and then... nothing. They just stopped and then moved all the equipment and huge rolls of cable away after a couple of days. Absolutely nothing since.
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7 to larc919

to larc919

I believe that TWC is preparing for MAXX in more areas than mentioned - I know here in Columbus OH they have over the last 6 months or so been running a LOT of fiber along their current trunks (making them thicker)..

I believe though that TWC's currently deploying MAXX first in areas that they feel they will have a possible threat from Google, AT&T or Verizon on faster services..

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY

Racerbob to larc919

Premium Member

to larc919
How does the pending Comcast takeover affect any of this ? Doesn't that throw a monkey wrench into any pending Maxx upgrades in 2015 ?

Rick4769
join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY

Rick4769 to larc919

to larc919
Time Warner is running its company the same as always. If the merger goes through, you can bet Comcast will put a stop to it and come up with their own plan. That's what happens to companies that are sold all the time. For the sake of Time Warner's customers, I personally would like to see the merger not go through.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by Rick4769:

Time Warner is running its company the same as always. If the merger goes through, you can bet Comcast will put a stop to it and come up with their own plan. That's what happens to companies that are sold all the time. For the sake of Time Warner's customers, I personally would like to see the merger not go through.

Thank you for your interesting post.

Hob
omghi2u
join:2001-02-05

omghi2u to Rick4769

to Rick4769
said by Rick4769:

Wow man, you have a degree in M&A?

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob to Rick4769

Premium Member

to Rick4769
I totally understand that TW is operating in a "business as usual" way at this time...their stupid commercials with that ditzy dame notwithstanding... but I do think that Comcast will more than likely have their own thoughts as to what happens with this Maxx deal and internet speeds in general across the whole area that they end up inheriting and controlling. I fully expect this deal to be approved. Grab the popcorn as it should be interesting to watch.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Racerbob:

I totally understand that TW is operating in a "business as usual" way at this time...their stupid commercials with that ditzy dame notwithstanding... but I do think that Comcast will more than likely have their own thoughts as to what happens with this Maxx deal and internet speeds in general across the whole area that they end up inheriting and controlling. I fully expect this deal to be approved. Grab the popcorn as it should be interesting to watch.

hmm considering the fact that TWC has been making a lot of changes lately and still not stopping due to pending merger probably means that TWC is talking to Charter and Comcast on to what each provider wants done to an area ie Comcast probably said ok do the upgrades or announce them so we can compete in areas with the threat of 1Gbps internet.
omghi2u
join:2001-02-05

omghi2u

said by motorola870:

hmm considering the fact that TWC has been making a lot of changes lately and still not stopping due to pending merger probably means that TWC is talking to Charter and Comcast on to what each provider wants done to an area ie Comcast probably said ok do the upgrades or announce them so we can compete in areas with the threat of 1Gbps internet.

Probably not. But thanks for your thoughts.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

1 edit

etaadmin to Rick4769

to Rick4769
said by Rick4769:

Time Warner is running its company the same as always.

Before 'always' was sort of procrastinating. Today TWC is a pleasantly different company and they are acting like a terminal patient trying to accomplish everything they didn't accomplish when they were young and healthy.
said by Rick4769:

If the merger goes through, you can bet Comcast will put a stop to it and come up with their own plan.

Yeah like comcast is a passive and technologically stagnant company /sarcasm If I were the telcos and comcast acquires TWC I would be afraid, very afraid.
said by Rick4769:

That's what happens to companies that are sold all the time. For the sake of Time Warner's customers, I personally would like to see the merger not go through.

Please don't speak on behalf of TWC customers