spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Deb123
@98.236.99.x

Deb123

Anon

Cousins need advice in Colonial Beach va

Hi all! I just found this forum, and have a question.
My cousins are moving to Colonial Beach, VA and have signed up for the VIP Ultra bundle. The CSR they spoke to over the phone said they could save money by not renting the broadband equipment and buying their own. But evidently they don't know what to get. All she (my cousin) can remember about what was said was to go to best buy. I've looked around the Metrocast website and I noticed that the customer can choose to not rent the modern and router but the emta equipment must be rented. Before I call MC I thought I'd ask here if anyone has recent knowledge of their equipment policies. Thanks!

Here's what i saw on their website, but who knows if this is current.

Equipment
MetroCast supports the use of DOCSIS 2.0 and 3.0 modems and non-complying standards will not operate with our network's performance standards. The following modem models are approved by MetroCast to help ensure the best possible Internet performance: DOCSIS 3.0 Motorola SB6121 and SB6180 modems; DOCSIS 3.0 ARRIS CM820 modems; DOCSIS 3.0 Motorola SBG6580 wireless modems; DOCSIS 3.0 ARRIS DG860A wireless modems; DOCSIS 3.0 ARRIS TG852 and TG862 wireless modem/eMTAs; DOCSIS 3.0 ARRIS CM820 modems; and DOCSIS 3.0 ARRIS TM822 eMTAs. Customers may rent modems from us, or obtain them from a third party. Voice eMTAs may only be rented from MetroCast, as eMTAs purchased from third parties are not permitted on our network.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

I have internet only with Metrocast (50/5 plan) and use a Motorola SB6141 modem (top rated). For a router I use a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 (also top rated). IMO this the best gear you can buy for a cable connection.

billh491
join:2001-08-09
Portland, CT

billh491 to Deb123

to Deb123
I have the same one it is nice to see 8 bonded channels down and 2 up.
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 25390001

Under 90 bucks delivered no tax its the way to go pay back is under a year.
NetworkNH
join:2009-08-10
Northwood, NH

1 recommendation

NetworkNH to Deb123

to Deb123
I have the same setup as well. Although, I just ordered a new SB6182 from Ebay.

»www.ebay.com/itm/Motorol ··· 930e83dd

It has the new Broadcom 3383 chipset (which supposedly gives the Texas Instruments chipset in our SB6141's a run for its money).

Check out the forum here:

»SB6182? New modem?

I should have this next week, and will let everyone know how it compares against the 6141.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to billh491

Premium Member

to billh491
You are getting bonded upstream channels over there?

billh491
join:2001-08-09
Portland, CT

billh491 to Deb123

to Deb123
Yes I am 8 down and 2 up

Deb123
@98.236.99.x

Deb123

Anon

Thanks all for your feedback. I did get confirmation that MC provides the emta component separately. So my cousins just need to get the cable modem and router parts. I have the sb6121 and like it, works reliably. But with their ultra service it sounds like the sb6141 would work very well for them. Still thinking about the router. Thanks again!
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned) to NetworkNH

to NetworkNH
thanks, looking forward to your review
NetworkNH
Northwood, NH

NetworkNH

You're very welcome, and I cannot wait till it comes in the mail. I'm also getting 8 down and 2 up.

Deb123, I'd highly recommend the 6141 over the 6121. Those extra bonded downstream channels really make a difference in the consistency of bandwidth you are receiving (especially during peak times).

Now only if Metrocast would bump up their upload a little bit
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

Click for full size
can you take a look at this screen and tell me what you think? I'm new to the bonding channel discussion:
NetworkNH
Northwood, NH

NetworkNH

Thank you Jim for the screen shot. Your levels look great! I'll post a screen shot shortly of mine with the 6141.
NetworkNH

NetworkNH to Deb123

to Deb123
Click for full size

Not too bad for "peak time" on a Friday night....

Also, you'll see above a screen shot of my bonded channels. The bonding does make a difference (I hardly notice any performance decrease anymore during peak times).
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

not bad for me either during prime time:

NetworkNH
Northwood, NH

NetworkNH

Definitely not bad at all!