Re: Buying used vehicle from private seller = Frustrating

I have an 02' Ranger I bought new with 68K miles . . . it's a keeper

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

Grumpy4

Premium Member

Mine Sonoma gets 22 to 26 MPG, although hills often require a 3rd gear run. It's kind of like a 70s Mack with a 237 HP engine.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned) to Grumpy4

to Grumpy4
said by Grumpy4:

I would tentatively attribute these overpriced situations to the extreme popularity of pickups?

Don't forget cash for clunkers a few years back. Plenty of YouTube videos of people doing bad things to perfectly good vehicles that they were about to trade in for the cash for clunkers deal.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

It took a while, I've been casually looking since September, but I bought a truck today. It's a 1993 F350, 7.3L turbo diesel with 162,000 miles. 5 speed manual, Dana 80 rear, Dana 60 front. I am the third owner. Mechanically it is in excellent shape. Lots of newer parts, including front rotors and pads, injectors, steering pump, idler pulley, front end bushings, shocks, rear fuel tank, both front fenders, and newer wheels with 50% tread tires. The turbo is about 1 year old. The body needs some attention, but is safe. Surprisingly the undercarriage is in excellent condition for a 22 year old Wisconsin truck. They threw in another mostly rust free bed with tailgate, another steering pump new in box, a few body patch panels, and some other stuff.

umnonturbo
@69.118.94.x

umnonturbo

Anon

Where is the turbo?

Also aint that the IDI engine? Don't think they had turbos... pretty sure 94.5 is when the turbo DI motor came out...

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by umnonturbo :

Where is the turbo?

Also aint that the IDI engine? Don't think they had turbos... pretty sure 94.5 is when the turbo DI motor came out...

I know what I bought. Yes, it is a '93 IDI. Ford added the option for the IDI turbo in mid 1993. This truck was a non-turbo with an aftermarket Banks turbo added later by the previous owner. This and the exhaust system are the only performance enhancements made. »www.dieselhub.com/idi/7. ··· idi.html

hideandseek
@69.118.94.x

1 recommendation

hideandseek

Anon

You have to admit, that turbo is hiding VERY good =p lol

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

It adds a little more grunt than the natural aspirated engine, and she get down the road well. But this thing is still a dog by modern diesel comparison.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

It might be a dog by modern day standards. But that dog will still be running when these modern day junk will be rusting in the junk yard. Dam shame it wasnt the actual power stroke tho, but one hell of a nice truck. The 7.3 in my opinion is the best motor ever made.

idipowa
@69.118.94.x

1 recommendation

idipowa to Lurch77

Anon

to Lurch77
Click for full size
Click for full size
At least they had the nut to spin all 4
I see your dog 7.3 tidi I raise you a 6.2l N/A lol

But like yours clean... and something you can work on...
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Playing a 6.2 against a 7.3 is like playing tens against aces.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
said by Lurch77:

I've been casually looking since September, but I bought a truck today. It's a 1993 F350, 7.3L turbo diesel with 162,000 miles. 5 speed manual, Dana 80 rear, Dana 60 front.

When you gonna put a smoke switch on it ?

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

No smoking for me. That's bad for your health. And it's far too redneck.

anicefordahh
@69.118.94.x

anicefordahh to rody_44

Anon

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

Playing a 6.2 against a 7.3 is like playing tens against aces.

That was kinda my point, they are both dog motors...

My 6.2s are likely close to the same as the 7.3 here since I have 4.56 gearing... so while it has less power, the gearing likely brings them close to inline. Of course, at 55mph your at like red line lol.

Either way that ford is clean. Almost aint a ford, 7.3, dana 60 front... and a 5 speed... I can't make fun of it =( lol Hell even has good year duratracs... I run them with studs for plowing.

I'd almost look for a awesome deal on a powerjoke motor to stick in it... we have a wrecker that started life as a 2wd 7.3 IDI, it is now a 4wd tdi 7.3 and it was not as clean as this truck.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

4 edits

rody_44

Premium Member

I wasnt sure how much the turbo actually helped this 7.3 as far as power goes. All the 7.3s were great motors tho. The 7.3 powerstroke tho became the workhorse of the nation. Of course ford had to follow it up with about the worse motor ever made. The 6.0 powerstoke. I swear our 2004 powerstroke was broken down more than we filled the windshield washer reservoir.

ON second thought i guess gm still owns the worse ever made as far as diesels and that would be the the converted gm 350 (i think it was a 5.7) POS they came out with.

In any case lurch i really like your truck. But i second the thought of getting a 7.3 powerstroke and dropping in there. The 7.3 powerstroke is a beast. That baby will pull a train up hill. Being a f350 ide be willing to bet that would make a great collector truck some day. The 5 speed manual tranny is a huge plus on that truck.

I had a 93 f250 with that engine. I pulled about 8000 lb trailor every day up and down the turnpike every day for about 6 years. About 400,000 miles i finally got rid of it because the auto transmission sucked. 3 rebuilts in a year. It cruised 70 to 75 but my foot was always on the floor and if i couldnt get that running start for hills people were pushing me by the time i was at the top. Overall tho i rate the truck a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10 even with that shitty 460od tranny. I wont sell a truck with issues and ended up sending it to the scrap yard. Dam thing was so heavy i got 800 in scrap price.
Dam how i miss that truck.

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

I don't plan to make this into a pulling truck or anything. The IDI 7.3 is a rock solid reliable engine, and this one only has 162K on it. It runs like a top. I can't see why I would swap it out.
mischief007
join:2011-03-07
Ingersoll, ON

mischief007 to Lurch77

to Lurch77
Not much of a Ford guy but that is a clean truck, diesel with a manual. I give you two thumbs up for that.

That's the problem with newer trucks. You can only get a manual in a Ram 2500/3500 these days.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
Yea, use to be said them motors were not even broken in until they reached 150,000 miles.