All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

a_large_rock
join:2003-08-02
L6H0H3

a_large_rock

Hamilton Skyway bridge closed just in time for the holiday weekend.

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/h ··· .2724276

The damage looks to be more then just superficial.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

I heard about it earlier (from a friend that had to detour around it). I used to cross that bridge every day... glad I'm not anymore.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Styvas to a_large_rock

Premium Member

to a_large_rock
I'm going in to work after the morning rush tomorrow. There's no way I'm fighting the traffic that will be detouring around the bridge. Blech!

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

Gone to A Lurker

Premium Member

to A Lurker
So much for that brand spanking new overheight warning system that they just installed there recently.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to a_large_rock

Premium Member

to a_large_rock
If it gets the OK from engineers, it'll be open by morning. Looks like the structural damage is limited to one half of a steel cross beam, which looks to be easily repairable.

The scaffolding is not a structural component.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to a_large_rock

Premium Member

to a_large_rock
Amazing. Thank God none of the construction workers on the bridge were killed, or anyone else on the road.

Impaired or not, there's a line from an old Abbott and Costello movie to the effect of, "That drunk I ain't!"

This guy should be banned from driving trucks for life.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

I believe they're only working overnight.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by Styvas:

I believe they're only working overnight.

The news story says that construction workers jumped off the scaffolding VERY quickly, and that they were alerted by all the cars blowing their horns at the oblivious truck driver.

gord
@76.10.171.x

gord to PX Eliezer1

Anon

to PX Eliezer1
680 news is reporting driver charged with dui. His driving career will be over. I hope the company he drove for has a lot of insurance.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

1 recommendation

Thane_Bitter to digitalfutur

Premium Member

to digitalfutur
It's a lace beam, nobody makes them anymore. The photo in the article is fuzzy but the next vertical frame in is has greater depth to control the side to side twisting of the bridge (like a cracker box with both ends removed the sides want to flop over, these help stop that), it looks like the truck box came into it and bent or broke it as well. The twitter photo seems to confirm that its buggered to hell as well.

Link to a photo that shows these frames: »henleyshamilton1.files.w ··· ay-1.jpg

Its going to be a mess to fix, anything connected to the broken beam is likely bent. The rivets that hole everything together might have popped off or snapped, they probably will have to come up with some creative welding and metal forming to box in the suspect bits and perhaps replace with more modern beams.

The driver must have activated the box lift has he was driving - what a dummy.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Thane_Bitter:

Its going to be a mess to fix

Yup. There's nothing easily repairable about this kind of damage. It'll be interesting to see what the engineers say but if they say but if it isn't sound it is going to be closed for quite some time before they get it repaired.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to a_large_rock

Premium Member

to a_large_rock
Latest update from the MOT is that it'll be closed until at least Saturday.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to a_large_rock

Premium Member

to a_large_rock
seems appropriate:

»11foot8.com

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to a_large_rock

to a_large_rock
The driver was impaired. And now charged. Good shot of the damage from overhead, too. »www.thestar.com/news/gta ··· ent.html

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to a_large_rock

Premium Member

to a_large_rock
Repairs are going to be measured in days and weeks.

There's 2 beams (minimum) that will have to be fabricated and replaced; and many connections that will need to be inspected.

It'll be upto the engineers if a temporary fix can be implemented to allow the bridge to be reopened...

As for the driver - throw the book at him... Driving an 80,000 lb machine while impaired is totally inexcusable. The box coming up could have been mechanical failure - it's not unheard of for hydraulic valves to leak, and cylinders to extend unexpectedly - but that's no excuse for not noticing.

robford2
@206.47.249.x

robford2

Anon

thank god the brafasco steal plant is down the street, they can easily fab up a peace of steal and weld that sucker in place.

as for the driver i dont feel sorry for him drinking and driving is careless, unless its a cup of tim horton coffee

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to digitalfutur

Premium Member

to digitalfutur
said by digitalfutur:

Latest update from the MOT

You mean MTO.

Lothario
join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON

Lothario to robford2

to robford2
Nice piece of steal, that's what they built all the Quebec overpasses with.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to a_large_rock

MVM

to a_large_rock
Holiday weekend? What holiday?

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

Holiday weekend? What holiday?

The fake made up holiday that is just for the sake of having a holiday. One of the best to me, no traditional things you need to do just do what you want. It is actually one of the busiest times for camping on Ontario.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

A -LOT- of people are taking today off, as well...

400 was bumper to bumper last night, from the 401 to Barrie (and probably beyond...) - boats and campers were pretty much universal.

As fake, made up Holidays go, I'm better with this one, then Family day...

Why the fcuk would I want a day off in the dead of winter? Give me an extra day in July, if you're going to make up a new one!

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Took my in-laws over eight hours to get to Ottawa last night. In addition to having to go all the way around Hamilton on the far side (read: the airport) they kept running into traffic jam after traffic jam on the 401. Normally they'd go through the US, but this time they took the company cargo van loaded up with a bunch of stuff for the family. Ugh.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
Family day breaks up the dead zone between New Years and Easter. Otherwise we go up to 3+ months without a holiday.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to a_large_rock

Premium Member

to a_large_rock
That's the Toronto-bound part of the bridge, correct?

Since the Niagara-bound span is structurally separate and it's 4 lanes, why don't they just stick some cones on that span and divide it into 2 lanes each way with a speed limit of 40-50kph? They can remove some guardrails at either approach to the bridge to allow Toronto-bound traffic to swing onto/off off the other span.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

Took my in-laws over eight hours to get to Ottawa last night. In addition to having to go all the way around Hamilton on the far side (read: the airport) they kept running into traffic jam after traffic jam on the 401.

The lift bridge was accessible so Eastport exit to Burlington still worked. If you were stuck there at the accident time of around 3:30 PM, you would be 'across' the bridge by about 6:45.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

The lift bridge was accessible so Eastport exit to Burlington still worked. If you were stuck there at the accident time of around 3:30 PM, you would be 'across' the bridge by about 6:45.

They found out about the wreck well before they got to Hamilton and decided to go around on 20 and 65 back through to Highway 6 up to the 403 instead. Then they got caught on the 403. And the 401. And the 401 again. Etc etc etc.
Gone

Gone to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

Since the Niagara-bound span is structurally separate and it's 4 lanes, why don't they just stick some cones on that span and divide it into 2 lanes each way with a speed limit of 40-50kph? They can remove some guardrails at either approach to the bridge to allow Toronto-bound traffic to swing onto/off off the other span.

They'd have to weigh the safety aspects of doing that versus the economic and traffic impact of having the bridge remain closed. I do know that when they were talking about a very major rehab in a few years the general consensus was that they were going to close the span entirely for a significant period of time and divert traffic on other routes rather than try to cram both directions into a single span. That should tell you something. This unforeseen situation will act as a sort of test case of how that kind of diversion would be handled.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

They could have OPP guys with radar guns standing every 100' keeping the speed down to whatever speed they wanted in both directions.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
I know that it was NOT the case here, but it shows as an example what kind of havoc could be caused by guys (terrorists) renting a couple of trucks.

Imagine two or three trucks in adjacent lanes, raising their "boxes" just before they come to a bridge or overpass.

-----

Imagine a coordinated attack on bridges and/or overpasses in Montreal, Vancouver, Pittsburgh, New York....

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

They could have OPP guys with radar guns standing every 100' keeping the speed down to whatever speed they wanted in both directions.

Do you seriously think that over 150,000 vehicles a day crammed into four lanes of the second span of a high level bridge is going to allow people to drive more than 50KM/h even without the radar guns anyway?

The safety issues have nothing to do with speed. It has to do with the sheer volume of traffic utilizing a span that will have to operate with no shoulders and extremely narrow lanes.