dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Eule
join:2014-03-28

Eule

[Install] Can you self-install voice and HSI?

Hello all!

My parents currently have Comcast for TV service only. They have an AT&T landline with DSL. They have asked me to look into moving the landline and Internet service over to Comcast. My basic question is simple:

Is it possible to self-install voice and HSI with an existing cable TV connection, or does Comcast have to send a tech to the house?

My goal, here, is to get the service turned up, without a Comcast tech stringing eight miles of cable around the outside of a brick house, or loading a bunch of crap on their PC that I will then need to spend a few hours removing.

Looking at Comcast's approved modems list, it looks like the only one I can get that is DOCSIS 3 and supports both voice and data is the Arris TM722G. I can find this online at a few different places. Yes, I know that a used modem, or one bought from a shady dealer, may be on the "blacklist" or otherwise not usable on Comcast.

I'm almost sure I'll have to run some new co-ax. The stuff from the pole to the house is recent, but the run from the grounding block (outside) to the TV probably dates to the late 1970s. It also has a splitter in it that I know was installed in 1989, because I installed it. What I'll probably do is change the grounding block for a splitter, outside, and run a second new RG6 cable through the wall myself and to where I want the modem to live. That way the old co-ax with the old splitter will only have to serve the TV, and the new co-ax will run the Internet and phone service.

On the other hand, I hope this doesn't get me whacked with a second outlet fee. If that is going to happen, I'll put the modem next to the existing TV for now, and install the new splitter later.

I've self-installed Comcast TV and HSI in the same service area before, but I get the impression that voice is "different". I've also run lots of POTS/landline extension jacks before, so I'm not worried about disconnecting the house POTS wiring from AT&T and connecting it to the Comcast modem.

Other information that may be relevant...

This area is moving to DOCSIS 3. Comcast recently sent me a letter warning that my Motorola SB5101 (DOCSIS 2 only) will explode in a ball of flames if I don't buy a new modem from them immediately. There are some older Arris modems that only do DOCSIS 2, but Comcast might be in the "nothing new unless it's 3" mode here.

Thanks!

Eule

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

[Install] Re: Can you self-install voice and HSI?

said by Eule:

Other information that may be relevant...

This area is moving to DOCSIS 3. Comcast recently sent me a letter warning that my Motorola SB5101 (DOCSIS 2 only) will explode in a ball of flames if I don't buy a new modem from them immediately. There are some older Arris modems that only do DOCSIS 2, but Comcast might be in the "nothing new unless it's 3" mode here.

You won't likely see a ball of flame emanating from your SB5101, but Comcast will not provision/activate an End Of Life modem, and currently just about all DOCSIS 2 modems are considered EOL (including your SB5101): »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net ··· devid=64 or »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net ··· evid=224 ). Go to »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ to see a list of approved (and EOL) modems. Go to »customer.comcast.com/hel ··· devices/ to view Comcast's policy for EOL modems. However, it is not clear to me if you are considering the SB5101 for this new installation, or if it refers to an existing installation -- if it is currently in use in an existing installation, it can continue to be used in that situation until Comcast declares it as End Of Service.

Also, Comcast's policy on self install for an eMTA for Comcast voice (and the SB5101 is not an eMTA -- so it won't work for voice even if you could activate it) is variable from franchise to franchise (you probably won't know if you can get voice activated without a tech visit until you try it).

Eule
join:2014-03-28

Eule

said by NetFixer:

However, it is not clear to me if you are considering the SB5101 for this new installation, or if it refers to an existing installation -- if it is currently in use in an existing installation, it can continue to be used in that situation until Comcast declares it as End Of Service.

I will buy a new modem/eMTA for the new installation at my parents' house. I just mentioned the SB5101 at my house because it appears that Comcast has gone into the "we won't turn up new DOCSIS 2 modems" mode in my area, so that affects what I choose for their house.

I know I need an eMTA, not just a modem, to get data and voice turned up at my parents. Are the critters at the service center likely to know the local franchise policy on self-installs, or do I need to find a Comcast tech in the field and ask him/her?

Thanks!

Eule

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN
Netgear CM600
Asus RT-AC66U B1

MDA

Premium Member

I would add that if you can, get a tm822g which is 8 channel downstream emta versus the older 4 channel downstream tm722g.

The reason I was told I needed a tech for voice in my area, was that they wanted to make sure the upstream was in spec and that was about 6 years ago so I don't know how it has changed since and this was on an existing comcast connection (from Qwest POTS to comcast cdv).

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to Eule

Premium Member

to Eule
said by Eule:

Are the critters at the service center likely to know the local franchise policy on self-installs, or do I need to find a Comcast tech in the field and ask him/her?

A local tech (or possibly a counter clerk at the local Comcast office) should be able to verify if that franchise allows CDV self installs, but if you are going to be signing up for the service on-line or via telephone, it will be that remote sales CSR who will decide if a "professional" install visit is going to be scheduled based on the information seen on their screen. Even if a "professional' install is scheduled, you may still be able to physically install your own eMTA and register/activate it on-line via the "walled garden" (or a phone call to Comcast support if the self-activation doesn't work), and then cancel the truck roll before it happens.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to Eule

Premium Member

to Eule
If issue is cable around the outside of a home you can just run rg6 before he comes and thats that. As far as software you can request nothing be loaded on the computer and they wont load anything. If your intent on a self install i would just order a self install kit from them and install a rental for the first week or so. Im guessing for that 8 dollars your will be saving a lot of hassles over self installing a store bought modem with new service involving cdv. Not to mention for some odd reason it seems to be easier to get them to waive professional install fees over self install fees. Im guessing some numbers cruncher decided its actually cheaper for them to have a tech come out and check signal levels than send a sik out and have service calls later.
kcrudup
join:2001-05-04
Lake Forest, CA

kcrudup to NetFixer

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

You won't likely see a ball of flame emanating from your SB5101, but Comcast will not provision/activate an End Of Life modem, and currently just about all DOCSIS 2 modems are considered EOL (including your SB5101)

FWIW, in early June I'd activated an ooooold (circa '05?) Moto DOCSIS 2.0 device in Northern CA via the "self-install" method of plugging it in, then signing into your Comcast account once the landing page comes up.

Worked just fine for the two weeks until I'd brought my SB6120 up when I fully moved in.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by kcrudup:

said by NetFixer:

You won't likely see a ball of flame emanating from your SB5101, but Comcast will not provision/activate an End Of Life modem, and currently just about all DOCSIS 2 modems are considered EOL (including your SB5101)

FWIW, in early June I'd activated an ooooold (circa '05?) Moto DOCSIS 2.0 device in Northern CA via the "self-install" method of plugging it in, then signing into your Comcast account once the landing page comes up.

Worked just fine for the two weeks until I'd brought my SB6120 up when I fully moved in.

You may have just gotten in under the wire. That particular modem might not have been listed as EOL at that time; some DOCSIS 2 modems were only recently classified as EOL. Then again, Comcast has never been noted for their consistency in following even their own rules.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt to Eule

Premium Member

to Eule
said by Eule:

I will buy a new modem/eMTA for the new installation at my parents' house.

In this case I would wait and rent whatever Comcast offers for the first month or 2>>>let them work out all the kinks with their equipment and then (if permitted in your area) switch to the same or better model that you own.
give it a try for the free (money-back) trial to make sure it work right for your parents.