davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to Rakeesh

Premium Member

to Rakeesh

Re: Cox gigabit technology?

Because it is like those irritating people who sometimes check your bags as you exit Wal-Mart. Some days you get stopped, some days you do not. But it is a pointless exercise of showing that you are under their thumb. The Wal-Mart checker is a leftover from when video surveillance was expensive, now Wal-Mart can have multiple overlapping surveillance cameras that take in the entire inside and outside of the property. but they leave the bag checkers just to keep their reputation for theft control intact with security theater. I had one who watched me go through the express line closest to the exit area, and she still wanted to look in the bag and at the receipt. She stood there watching and thought I was a thief? What about all the security the cashier did? She looked over to make sure I did not leave something in the pushcart, either by accident or on purpose. No the bag/receipt checking lady just decided she could irritate someone, so she did.

Cox has no legitimate reason to have caps, at least not the low ones they have today, thus no reason for twice a month e-mails. They have an extensive capability to traffic shape and limit to deal with any temporary congestion occurring on any particular node. But they want to remind you that they are your overlords and can take away your internet connection based on any illogical reasoning they see fit to use. If little Sonic.net does not need such low caps, then big Cox sure does not.
Rakeesh
join:2011-10-30
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit

Rakeesh

said by davidhoffman:

Because it is like those irritating people who sometimes check your bags as you exit Wal-Mart. Some days you get stopped, some days you do not. But it is a pointless exercise of showing that you are under their thumb.

No, I know exactly why they do that. Sometimes customers hide shit from the cashier as they check out, paying for some things and not others, and then walk out with it. I've seen it before plenty of times; I used to work retail.

Security cameras are very little use against this because they can't see every angle.

It depends on the individual walmart though, some do that, some don't. Walmarts located in or near "the hood" do that and a lot more, whereas walmarts in upscale areas don't even bother with security cameras. Hell those ones don't even bother with those plastic lock boxes for high risk items; they just display them out in the open. They (and all other retail stores) have different geographic risk categories that they classify each individual store as depending on the local crime statistics. The higher risk the area, the higher the classification it gets, and thus the more they spend on security.

I know the walmart on McKellips and Greenfield doesn't have bag checkers, and the walmart on Stapley and Baseline does.
Maltz
join:2011-01-08
Fayetteville, AR
Calix 844G
Netgate SG-2100
Ubiquiti U6-LR

Maltz

said by Rakeesh:

said by davidhoffman:

Because it is like those irritating people who sometimes check your bags as you exit Wal-Mart. Some days you get stopped, some days you do not. But it is a pointless exercise of showing that you are under their thumb.

No, I know exactly why they do that. Sometimes customers hide shit from the cashier as they check out, paying for some things and not others, and then walk out with it. I've seen it before plenty of times; I used to work retail.

Security cameras are very little use against this because they can't see every angle.

It depends on the individual walmart though, some do that, some don't. Walmarts located in or near "the hood" do that and a lot more, whereas walmarts in upscale areas don't even bother with security cameras. Hell those ones don't even bother with those plastic lock boxes for high risk items; they just display them out in the open. They (and all other retail stores) have different geographic risk categories that they classify each individual store as depending on the local crime statistics. The higher risk the area, the higher the classification it gets, and thus the more they spend on security.

I know the walmart on McKellips and Greenfield doesn't have bag checkers, and the walmart on Stapley and Baseline does.

Yeah, I shop there all the time, and I've never been stopped or seen anyone be stopped on their way out of a Wal Mart unless they set off the anti-theft alarms. I'm sure it depends greatly on the location of the store, and probably even someone's demeanor while shopping. I wouldn't be surprised if security flagged people based on their behavior, perhaps in addition to occasional random stops.

ALL locations are pretty well covered by cameras, though, for liability purposes, if nothing else.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to davidhoffman

Premium Member

to davidhoffman
its not about congestion its about protecting LEGACY TV revenues.
thats why caps dont go up as speeds go up.
dvd536

dvd536 to Maltz

Premium Member

to Maltz
Walmart profiles you as you enter the store. if you enter wearing grungy dirty clothes, you're more likely to be hassled by LP than the businessman in a shirt and tie.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to dvd536

Premium Member

to dvd536
True, but outdated. From what I have read, people who do a lot of online gaming and frequently download new legally obtained games could go through most monthly caps easily, without ever watching a single Netflix movie. The push to do work at home operations is hindered by low caps and severe asymmetrical speeds, too little upload speed. Some content is only available from websites, it almost never shows up on pay TV or OTA broadcast TV. I would hope Cox will soon recognize these growing trends and understand that Cox needs to figure out a better way to make a profit than low caps on internet usage.
Rakeesh
Phoenix, AZ

Rakeesh to dvd536

to dvd536
said by dvd536:

Walmart profiles you as you enter the store. if you enter wearing grungy dirty clothes, you're more likely to be hassled by LP than the businessman in a shirt and tie.

Everybody does that, not just walmart. I remember when I worked at a used car dealership, if somebody came in looking like they just crawled out of a dumpster we wouldn't dare finance them.

If they wanted to buy a car, sure, but they weren't getting financing.
Rakeesh

Rakeesh to dvd536

to dvd536
said by dvd536:

If that was the case then they'd enforce the caps, like comcast does for that exact reason (Comcast owns several media companies, so it would make sense.)

I think Cox just uses it simultaneously as a network management tool and an upselling tool.
Maltz
join:2011-01-08
Fayetteville, AR
Calix 844G
Netgate SG-2100
Ubiquiti U6-LR

Maltz

said by Rakeesh:

said by dvd536:

If that was the case then they'd enforce the caps, like comcast does for that exact reason (Comcast owns several media companies, so it would make sense.)

I think Cox just uses it simultaneously as a network management tool and an upselling tool.

If they enforced the caps, they would lose the customer entirely as they switched to another TV/Internet/Phone provider, which would defeat the purpose of TV customer retention. The fact that they don't enforce the caps, imo, is actually evidence that PART of their purpose is legacy tv customer retention.

Of course, they do use caps to up-sell and for network management as well, but only the latter in extreme cases, it seems. It's easier to manage someone who is REALLY a problem if you have some kind of explicit limit in the terms of service as grounds for taking action, be it disconnection or just a friendly reminder.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to Rakeesh

Premium Member

to Rakeesh
They need a working meter before they could do anything.
Rakeesh
Phoenix, AZ

Rakeesh to Maltz

to Maltz
said by Maltz:

said by Rakeesh:

said by dvd536:

If they enforced the caps, they would lose the customer entirely as they switched to another TV/Internet/Phone provider, which would defeat the purpose of TV customer retention.

And who are they going to go to, exactly? Colonel Clink?